0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: No Smoking?

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 28-Nov-02  @  06:38 PM   -   No Smoking?

Zazza

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Apparently, on the Brighton to London line, where the trains are 'NON-SMOKING', the commuters have taken over a carriage and smoke al lthe way from Brighton to London.

This has been going on for a couple of years, and apparently if the guards try to tell them to stop smoking they just get told to fuck off..

heh

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 61/67                 Date: 23-Dec-02  @  12:01 PM   -   RE: No Smoking?

k

Link?:  Link

yaawwwn... only the americans could sanitise cafe culture so effectively, like making a fake shopping 'boulevarde' mall, with nice reproduction bollards and nice new repro-cobbles and phoney ye rustic shoppes housing GAP & Starfucks etc - sorta the Disney world lifestyle. That's what I object to. The way they go round ripping out old/original culture and replacing it with a fake sanitised corporate version.

My local little shopping 'green' used to have an old family italian cafe full of taxi drivers, the gaggia, etc etc, next door was a bicycle shop, etc... now it's all closed down and we have a bloody Starfucks selling piss weak shitty yank coffe in a crappy cardboard cup with a stupid little wooden dental stick to stir it with... The cafe is gone, the taxi guys are all gone, the bike shop is all gone.... and now on a sunday morning it's just parked-up Range-rovers & BMW 4x4's loaded with tossers in shin-length barbour coats with the little 'shelock-holmes' cape-let bit over the shoulders - fuck 'em all I say.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 62/67                 Date: 23-Dec-02  @  04:54 PM   -   RE: No Smoking?

Def Z

Well, I've nothing wrong with smoking, it sure would be nice to have the OPTION to go to someplace where I don't come out with a "phillip morris funk", as someone so ellquently put it. I've a little one on the way, and my wife and I still like to go out every once in a while and socialize. Tough to do that when she wants to avoid smoky places. Too bad the marketplace hasn't picked up on the need for a smoke free joint here and there. I'm not for regulating it either, as I have an on/off relationship with smoking, but options are nice.

k - sounds like you're FOR stripping soccer moms of their right to pollute, while maintaing YOUR right to pollute... ;-)

Message 63/67                 Date: 23-Dec-02  @  10:22 PM   -   RE: No Smoking?

errata

Hehehe, indeed K! Americans to piss about the profusion of "english" style pubs running our traditional piss stinking derelict bars out of business... 'cause it's americans who go there and spend the money.

I'll bet there's not a "yank" among your land rovering neighbors at the coffee shop! If American culture is spreading outside it's borders it's because people find that bland, sanitized generic ugliness appealing... can't blame anyone specific for that.

I agree that some business owners SHOULD be able to allow smoking when the employees of the business are also the people making that decision. You've a right to poison yourself for profit, and I wouldn't dream of taking that right...

there is an arguement to be made for the employees's of a business being forced to work in UNHEALTHY conditions or loose their jobs. It's an issue that speaks directly to workers rights!

Still, I have a bit of the libertarian in me still, and I honestly don't like the idea of legislated decency. Just act like adults for f+cks sake!

e

Message 64/67                 Date: 24-Dec-02  @  02:25 AM   -   RE: No Smoking?

krisgot

Link?: Link

"It wasn't PCP. It was Angeldust"

Message 65/67                 Date: 24-Dec-02  @  11:50 AM   -   RE: No Smoking?

cheddar

PCP - I saw this picture of guy who had taken a bunch, nipped of to the toilet in his flat for a minute and sliced his face off with a razon - Not for me thanks.

This no smoking argument - I can't believe we are still here. Look, I do more like what I do, most people do more like what they should do. Thats OK, its a shame cos you only get 1 life (lets not go there eh!) but DO NOT think i am believing this common benefit leading to legislation is progress, its people ing with you and me, smoking, jaywalking, stand on the left. Its like an intolerant excuse and a ratchet and it moves. Its OK that the US don't smoke and put (what few?) people in glass boxes in airports, Americans live there and have to put up with that. But it moves, empowerment and presidence globalization of legislation - don't you see - they make morality a franchise, once you buy it the whole thing comes - a behavioral theme park where all of your moral choices are laid out for you - most efficient that way.

I agree with respect but not globalized respect, and certainly not legislated respect, then you are in a world that needs soo many lawyers and victory = money. Fck that all over.

Anyway I think my comparison about sound pollution is worth a word, anythoughts?

ching chinga ching

Message 66/67                 Date: 24-Dec-02  @  03:02 PM   -   RE: No Smoking?

k

well, it's odd... you can go into the bank or at the airport etc in Spain for example and smoke, no one has a pink fit or throws a wobbly. How do you think the Spanish deal with it? - If they BAN cigarettes as the worst drug on the planet (which they ARE) then FINE... but the hypocracy of on the one hand selling it, taxing it, profitting from it etc, and on the other hand treating those people who smoke as social outcasts is a rediculous double-standard imo.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 67/67                 Date: 24-Dec-02  @  05:23 PM   -   RE: No Smoking?

errata

I agree with the banned but legal rant! It's not OK for the government to say it's bad and hurts you but we'll tax the sh*t out of it and take advantage of your addiction! And that IS where the hypocrisy runs the deepest!!!

e

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 67 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum