0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Guitar Band Talk

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 01-Oct-02  @  06:39 PM   -   Guitar Band Talk

Drop

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Was listening to Steve Lamaq on radio one for a change. They were talking about the current guitar band scene and discussing how it's an interesting time for guitar bands. Kinda like the late 80's cause all the labels (major and minor)A&R people are sitting in the front two rows at all these small gigs. Basically trying to find the next "Strokes" or "White Strips".

Apparently major labels are going back to the old school. Basically, trying to find bands and nuture them into the next "U2" or "REM". There's this band in Denmark (can't remember the name) and they were totally unknown out of their country. Even in their country they only played gigs and didn't ever record/release anything. Anyway, word spread and they've just been signed for a 7 figure sum.

The circle turns and now the labels are heavily into signing guitar bands. Its cool watching bands (I'm not a regular guitar gig attender) like Ash and The White Stripes though, cos there is always this strange kinda sexual tension going on between the male lead singers and the female guitarist/drummer. Its like go and rent a bloody room!

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 51/67                 Date: 10-Oct-02  @  02:08 AM   -   RE: Guitar Band Talk

psylichon

Link?: Link

Tom Petty

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 52/67                 Date: 10-Oct-02  @  02:13 AM   -   RE: Guitar Band Talk

Paullyboy8440

Paullyboy8440

Message 53/67                 Date: 10-Oct-02  @  09:42 AM   -   RE: Guitar Band Talk

Drop

Captain Sensible?

Message 54/67                 Date: 10-Oct-02  @  10:27 AM   -   RE: Guitar Band Talk

cheddar

Link?:  Link

I ate my hate over Madonna. Never liked the early stuff but loved pepole who did. One of them I had appologise to when (what is album before Ray of light) - that and ROL blew me away. I know its very much the partners making the tune (If William Orbit is here - you rock my world) but that could be a fair model - working with others, being able to be interesting (or rich) enough to stimulate other great people

U2 seem able to sound new and they do well live

Message 55/67                 Date: 10-Oct-02  @  11:28 AM   -   RE: Guitar Band Talk

influx

true. U2. good one.

dunno..the ray of light thing..I was kinda bummed...

altho really when you think about it a lot of madonna's old shit is electronic, too...so...

its a grey area, aint it

Message 56/67                 Date: 10-Oct-02  @  12:04 PM   -   RE: Guitar Band Talk

k

yeah, but Ray of Light SHOULD have been credited as: 'William Orbit featuring Madonna'

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 57/67                 Date: 10-Oct-02  @  10:35 PM   -   RE: Guitar Band Talk

influx

very true

Message 58/67                 Date: 10-Oct-02  @  11:33 PM   -   RE: Guitar Band Talk

Paulyboy8440

ROL was great. I still have it sitting around here somewhere. Didn't know Orbit did it though. Guess I should dig deeper.

Message 59/67                 Date: 10-Oct-02  @  11:45 PM   -   RE: Guitar Band Talk

psylichon

Yeah, ROL is undeniably good. You may not like the music, but I've never heard anyone knock the production level or taste. You can't.

And even though the tracks are all Orbit, you also can't deny that they have a Madonna vibe. That is, even though she changed style she remained true to herself as far as singing and songwriting. I'm not a huge fan of Madonna's catalog, but I give her my utmost respect for being who she is and no one else.

Ozric Tentacles, too. They don't even fuck with the sound for 20+ years. :}

psylichon

Message 60/67                 Date: 11-Oct-02  @  10:29 PM   -   RE: Guitar Band Talk

k

he claims it's mostly juno 106 for the synth stuff.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 67 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum