0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Faith

Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19

Original Message                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  05:37 AM   -   Faith

psylichon

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Persuant to another thread in another forum in another land...

I'm really curious about the kinds of things we put our faith into. There's a lot of talk about various religions and the differences between them lately, but a lot of the talk sounds like a book report. What I mean is, it sounds like well-collected information culled from various readings (most of them from reputable sources, no doubt) used to form an opinion about a subject. The problem is that we can't read everything. And even if we could, reading without bias does not occur. You have an opinion before you start that affects everything that passes through you, and you only take what you feel is important. It just seems like a snowball effect that leaves you old, bitter towards the world, and highly opinionated (often complaining about how others are stubborn in their reasoning... etc....)

I think live, interactive debate cannot be surpassed as a learning experience. To really take in someone else's view on life and the things that are important to them is one of the greatest gifts we have (it's reflected in our music, and subsequent appreciation of each other's creations). The same biases can take place as in reading, but I think the dynamic nature of a conversation eliminates unchecked bias without reason.

Ok, now to my point. I was raised Christian. My mother is very active in the church, and follows very conservative Christian values. I used to be very active in the church with youth groups, mission work, and stuff like that. After the self-exploration that is college, I strayed away (does this sound familiar to anyone?) My mother and I lately have been getting into spiritual conversations, and she is ever more vocal about her disappointment in the direction my beliefs are heading.

I want to know what it is about Christianity that makes it so prevalent in today's society? I mean, millions of people don't choose this lifestyle just because their parents did. I know that Christianity goes deep, I've just never felt it. And I don't want slagging answers from non-Christians... "it's a crutch, a lie, a shame, etc." I've heard all that and I don't learn a thing from it. I want a personal account of why someone puts their faith in Christian ideals.

And so help me if someone accuses someone else of trying to "force" their opinion on others, I'm gonna shit all over you because that stuff just kills the kind of debate that I'm looking for here. And I don't want philosophical ramblings that you've heard and can relate to and they sound cool, but they aren't you. I want only deep ideas that have really been thought out.

This kind of stuff is important to me, so please take this thread seriously. If the lounge is not the place for this kind of discussion, let me know and I'll take it elsewhere....?

Thanks for really thinking about it, guys. This could be really cool...

Dave

p.s. - Yes, Jamie, I know you're the resident Christian here, and I'm kinda hoping you'll help me start things here, if you want...

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 51/188                 Date: 25-Sep-02  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: Faith

k

Link?:  No link

AGREED with P!!!.... it's SO true... Humans are so full of shit they cant even envisage the existance of the planet without them being part of it... ha!!..

Where ARE those Insect Overlords when you really need them!!   - damn!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 52/188                 Date: 25-Sep-02  @  07:51 PM   -   RE: Faith

nomad

Link?: Link

sure, i know the world could and will go on without me, or without any humans. that's not my point.

the point is, that what you are saying flies in the face of the way most people think of God. you can make that statement if you want, but be aware that you are redefining what most people mean when they say 'god'. in logic, we call that 'equivocation'. (oh yeah, i prefer single quotes. and why do the smileys get converted to those annoying yellow circles?)

Message 53/188                 Date: 25-Sep-02  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: Faith

xoxos

acid  

Message 54/188                 Date: 25-Sep-02  @  08:24 PM   -   RE: Faith

psylichon

hahahahah

Message 55/188                 Date: 25-Sep-02  @  10:11 PM   -   RE: Faith

k

lol!!!... what'dya call a raver sitting in the corner of the bank?

Safe

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 56/188                 Date: 25-Sep-02  @  10:26 PM   -   RE: Faith

Zazza

If God is everything, what is NOT everything?

If there is something that is NOT everything then it can't be God can it?

Message 57/188                 Date: 25-Sep-02  @  10:32 PM     Edit: 25-Sep-02  |  10:32 PM   -   RE: Faith

Steve Roughley

Tee-hee-hee! Nice one K! :P

Regards.

Steve.

Message 58/188                 Date: 25-Sep-02  @  10:33 PM   -   RE: Faith

bedwyr

oh, bollocks to it, i'm off down the pub for last orders.  

Message 59/188                 Date: 25-Sep-02  @  10:35 PM   -   RE: Faith

psylichon

"If there is something that is NOT everything then it can't be God can it?"

I don't understand this. It is my belief that God (and I use the word symbolically, of course) is EVERYTHING, and there is nothing that isn't a reflection of God. And while everything might seem like a lot of stuff to us, a lot of seperate things and events and actions; in God's scale, everything is unified and symmetrical and such concepts of me and you and right and wrong are nothing but misconceptions of a lower-dimensional race who thinks their view is from the top.

psylichon

Message 60/188                 Date: 25-Sep-02  @  11:12 PM   -   RE: Faith

k

zen man!... ok... so what do you call a raver sitting in the corner of the post office?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19

There are 188 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum