0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Deejay & deejay kit

Subject: DJ´s get all defensive about this

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 18-Aug-02  @  10:58 AM   -   DJ´s get all defensive about this

TIC

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

well i have made electronic music for about 4 years (little more actually) and been into the music for about 6 years. And now i have decided that i have to learn how to dj so that i can offer both a live show and a dj set (prolly gets more gigs) but since i can´t really afford two decks and a real mixer i decided to use what i the stuff i already have ie my laptop. So i got myself a copy of Traktor (liked that software best) and started to learn how to mix. after about six months i could put together a pretty decent set (not just my opinion a guy i know who has been dj @ docklands also thougth so) well anyway i have gotten a lot of shit from diffrent dj´s who almost refuse talking to me about dj stuff just because i use a laptop. Some say it is to easy to learn how to dj on them (automatic beat matching automatic bpm calculation automatic syncing of bass drums on tracks) So i lied about my mixtape to a some people (said i had made it with two decks when it actually was just vinyls that i had recorded and then encoded to mp3) and then a got a much much warmer welcome until i told them that it was a mp3 set with Traktor ofcourse then they all claimed to have heard somthing wrong with it. Can some one plz explain why dj´s act this way?

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 51/62                 Date: 30-Aug-02  @  06:50 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

Pongoid

Link?: Link

certainly. Why let technology limit you? Use it. Do stuff with it that you can't do with other tools. That's why you have it in the first place, right?

Ape

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 52/62                 Date: 30-Aug-02  @  07:29 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

Drop

Have any of you actually used it or are you just quoting shit from magazines?

Message 53/62                 Date: 31-Aug-02  @  05:54 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

TIC

i have used "that shit"(Traktor) and i am not quoting from a magazine. I have not played it live yet (but i have played live with my own music)and personally i have the experience that djs that dont produce or try to produce there own music are somewhat lacking in there skills

Message 54/62                 Date: 01-Sep-02  @  04:13 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

BJT

DJs are a funny breed, I've met some absolute champs and also some absolute idiots. Basically playing infront of people requires guts and some overcome there nerves purely by the fact that they love the music there playing, others purely by their amazing but simple ego's.

Message 55/62                 Date: 01-Sep-02  @  08:24 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

Pongoid

I've used traktor live, for smaller parties, and it's fun. It's easy to use. It's not vinyl, but it's neat, it sometimes mixies things in ways you wouldn't expect things to go together as well. I have friends that use it a LOT more than me, and I have no qualms about folks using it. I think it's great to mix whatever mediums you can for a performance...mp3's, CDs, Vinyl, live gear, "traditional" electric and acoustic instruments, ADATs of sound captures, VCRs, homemade experimental insturments (WWWAAAAYYYY COOOOOL)whatever, as long as it fits in the context of the presentation, and helps convey the feelings the performers are trying to express. Fuck it, why not? DJ ego cuz it's not purely on vinyl?? Whatever, folks, it's all just tools to get the message out there. Make art out of science, not science out of art.

On a quick tangent, my muhfukka, dissonance let me check out this turtablist conference video, and it was absolutely dope watchin Q-bert and D-styles swappin eights of just "the fresh" and "the ahh" over some fat little electro groove, but at the same time, in explaining the history of turntablism, they were totally caught up in technical tricks, almost like finger and crossfader olympics, and although talked a little about notatating things, they seemed to not have too much theoretical knowledge about the rymic concepts and approaches they had to their note placement and phrasing in their performances, and it kinda irked me, like it was Important Art, and although they were breaking ground, without a doubt, they were also just using a lot of theoretical knowledge applied in new ways that has been around a long time, and has been applied elsewhere. I'd like to see more turntablists with "traditional" music education in their backgrounds as well, so that they get less lost in the instrument and techniques, and more into exactly what they are doing musically. Watchin those cats swappin eights was definately the highlight of the tape for me, as it should a real Jazz ethic of improv and call and response thru manipulating samples in a really artistic way, so I can see where some pride is taken in turntablism, but if you're just pulling together a program of music, and matching a couple beats, and maybe cutting the bass of one track, whille mixing and cutting the next one in, and maybe backspinning or braking out of the first one, I don't know what DJ's have to be incensed about, by folks using a digital medium and integrating it into a showcase of recorded music, and besides, if it's your own music to boot, fuck them, that's the shit right there. I have a few records out now, and I take no shame in dropping most of a set of just my own records, burns of tunes, and mp3's and working them in ways I hadn't before. If you're doing it with traktor, or interspersing things that aren't pressed, or you can't find, but still want to get out there, by all means go on with at least my blessings and hopefully others' as well.

Ape

Ape

Message 56/62                 Date: 02-Sep-02  @  04:37 AM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

influx

Link?:  Link

"Make art out of science, not science out of art"

damn pongoid..you break off some incredibly precise bits of wisdome sometimes!

Message 57/62                 Date: 02-Sep-02  @  07:18 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

TiC

well pongoid that pretty much sums it up then and may i quote u on that "Make art out of science, not science out of art" part cuz that hits the spot for me
and finally now i have some good ways to put words across to my antagonists when they try to make me look bad infront of others and tell them that what i do is just crap cuz i use traktor its not about me trying to look good its about other people trying there best to make me look bad

Message 58/62                 Date: 03-Sep-02  @  05:43 AM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

Pongoid

*folds hands and bows

Message 59/62                 Date: 05-Sep-02  @  06:41 PM     Edit: 05-Sep-02  |  06:50 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

dissonance

for those interested.....that video that APE mentioned is SkratchCon 2000 Volume 2.

Very good stuff...and holy shit can D Styles and QBert get down.

on another note.

there's a video of these two cats..Excess and ToadStyle getting down. The shit they're doing with a foot controled phrase sampler and some records is pretty impressive. Give it a viewing.

fuck..I'll have to post it later..can't find the link

okay here are the links...hispeed and otherwise

low=http://www.styluswars.com/multimedia/turntablist_lounge/real/episode5lo.ram

hi=http://www.styluswars.com/multimedia/turntablist_lounge/real/episode5hi.ram

dissonance

Message 60/62                 Date: 05-Sep-02  @  09:43 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

swanofnever

just have to clear this up:

' You think George Martin ever said, "We really shouldn't do it this way, no one else ever has...."...? '

YES!! he did! but john et al would just do it anyway till he finally gave up and went along with it. i cite, as one example out of many, the mic'ing on eleanor rigby.

raigan

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 62 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum