0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Roland - emulate or innovate?

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Original Message                 Date: 03-May-02  @  11:49 PM   -   Roland - emulate or innovate?

panama

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

ever since the Super Saw was created with the JP-800 - dance music has changed... Ever since the Grooveboxes were created... It's now a household name.

is Roland still the innovater?

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 51/73                 Date: 17-May-02  @  09:36 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

influx

Link?: Link

DZ there is a difference between pointing out innate characteristics IE "race" (which I have to say I firmly believe that there is no such thing as different "races") and pointing out cultural characteristics

but..not 'all' of ANY 'group' will be have the same..so...

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 52/73                 Date: 17-May-02  @  10:44 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

bedwyr

americans are all money grabbing arseholes and the english are a bunch of public school poofs. and they've both got an over inflated sense of they're own importance.

the dutch are a bunch of crazy dope smokers and the austrians are just a load of nazis.

Message 53/73                 Date: 17-May-02  @  11:30 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

k

Link?:  Link

Q. What do you call an australian wearing a tie?

A. bar manager

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 54/73                 Date: 18-May-02  @  12:04 AM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

frostbyte

k, ever read hanif kureishi's The Buddha of suburbia ? hilarious novel, the life of a young paki'in the mid/end 70's. a must read, loved it.

Message 55/73                 Date: 18-May-02  @  09:07 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

proximus

I think the issue with the Roland v-drums and spectrasonic stinks.. it's just a set of samples!! synthesis my 'grandpa'!!

I guess most of you have read it..
http://sound-on-sound2.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=215094572&f=884099644&m=2883073704

I know it has been posted before..

Roland innovative? I'm definately selling my mc-303 now   hehe.. no, I'm keeping it. I was positively surprised the other day when I toyed with it again.. mm, very nice drum samples. Who needs V-drums anyway?  

Message 56/73                 Date: 19-May-02  @  02:57 AM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

Mindspawn

Innovation, like a lot of other shit mentioned on this thread, is, as we've seen from the posts, VERY subjective.....

Influx - you sayin' I'm old you young buck?=)

Anyhoos, damballah is spot on about the release of the various boxes. Stuff like the Arps and Moogs were always pretty nifty, but in the 80s you had a bunch of stuff come out that really didna have much of a market at the time. I mean the first time I saw a TB303 (83-84?), the music store fella called it a replacement bassist... He turned it on and played a few very lame sounds and I walked off chuckling that no one in their right mind was gonna pay $350 for that crap.... those words have haunted me a lot in the past few years...=)

The Junos were pretty cool, more so when the whole alternative/new wave thing hit. But the real shit in the 80s seemed to be the Roland D50 and the Yammy DX7. ROMplers were THE rage in the mid-late 80s. I think if there was a time when Roland was generally thought of as innovative at the time of a release, it was probably with the ROMplers, LA synthesis, etc...

An' then it happened. Some crazy fool went and tweaked the knobs on the 303 and the rest is history....

Message 57/73                 Date: 19-May-02  @  06:43 AM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

Brett

Influx, protools is moving slow, I am just getting caught up with my old debt. I should be on track by end of summer with the PT.I think i'll be plenty happy with Cubase sx. I may just wait a until PTmix24 is much cheaper next year.

Even the juno was the japanese answer to the prohpet5. The 303 was pretty out there. I have to say it was inovative, but there were allready other accompanymetn devices being made, drum and bass. What the 303 bcame was just a fluke. Look at what is coming out of China now. Damn good mics. I got a studio projects c1, thing sounds so damn good. But as usual, it's a knock of the Nuemann u87. As for automobile development, that is funny, most Japanese asthetic designers go to the school in cali to study , and the engineers are prodominantly educated here in the states. I saw a show on the dicovery channel with he head of Nissan talking about how they develop new cars. American ideas influence them so much, as well as European philosophy and engineering methods.

and to end, Realrtrance, you make it really easy to prove a point when say stuff like this

"Where were all those brilliant American dim bulbs when the Japanese saw fit to license the work being done at Stanford? "

last I checked, Stanford wasn't in Japan!

they took an idea or concept from somewhere else and made it theirs. It's what they do. They rarly take on the role of vangaurd in a market segament(very smart) and instead learn from the mistakes of the early entrees and come in with a better product at a lower price. It's not racism, it's Economics on a very academic level.

Message 58/73                 Date: 19-May-02  @  09:45 AM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

bedwyr

dunno much about norwegians, maybe i should ask some finnish people but they're just a bunch of nazi collaborators.

who else? canadians ... hehehe

Message 59/73                 Date: 19-May-02  @  02:30 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

damballah

oh right. blame canada.

Message 60/73                 Date: 19-May-02  @  03:46 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

xoxos

on japanese is it appropriating ideas or studying history so as not to repeat it? music & technology different.

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There are 73 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum