0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Live techniques?

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 20-Jan-02  @  09:36 AM   -   Live techniques?

Pongoid

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I was just wondering how each of you approaches live performance. There's a lot of different ways to play to a crowd, and although I've tried a bunch of different methods myself, I'm always curious to see how others are doing it, and what we can learn from each others' methods.

Ape

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 51/65                 Date: 20-Mar-02  @  04:40 AM   -   RE: Live techniques?

Mindspawn

Link?: Link

Sounds like fun... Hey Sitar, life experience IS music, so you were on topic earlier. Methinks a lot o' folk occasionally forget (mesef included) that living life is where music lives too. Doing music without living life is just a job... Never want to think of it like that. But yeah, IMHO any talk about life experience is valid in a forum on music theory....

marianimal - methinks we're watching change... more and more people doing music are either "born into" the electronic era or they're adjusting. Hence, electronic and acoustic musos are blurring traditional lines that used to separate them. I come from a bluegrass background, obviously all acoustic, then to rock, metal, and eventually electronic.... kind of a progression, so I have no issues with having a mixed bag of acoustic and electronic bits... I just wish more venues knew how to handle live acts properly. Still, you just keep hammerin,' one nail at a time.

Peace

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 52/65                 Date: 20-Mar-02  @  06:51 AM   -   RE: Live techniques?

marianimal

Link?:  No link

Thanks, I can relate to that, hammer & nails. & the need for the right mojo (or vévé, as long as we're using voodoo here). It's good we can mutate but still relate to the old ways from time to time. It all comes out of African music anyway, right, to varying degrees?

Sitar, that's a good point about writing a track as if it were already a live situation. They often seem to flow better that way, becoming full without being cluttered.

Message 53/65                 Date: 20-Mar-02  @  12:17 PM   -   RE: Live techniques?

Pongoid

With rare exception, all of the tracks I've recorded for the last six years that I call my own have been performed live, one take (usually) when recording, with very minimal editions afterwards, even the stuff that folks thought sounded 'too studio for me'. I've done it other ways as well, although usually in sessions with others. Laying down trax for multi-track systems, making and exporting .WAVs, arranging in a sequencing program then rendering, etc., but my favorite stuff still has the 'human touch'.

Shit I really miss playing Jazz, but it just doesn't pay, or move the crowd the same way. I'm hoping that interfaces will improve shortly, and facilitate better integration of live interaction with the gear. Knobs, buttons and sliders are cute and all, but man o man, if I could really play the music I've got crawling around in my head for you folks.... I guess that's it, though; trying to do the impossible, and all of these expressions are just rough approximations of the feelings we are really trying to express (maybe not all of us). Whatever tools one needs to express, do it.

Spawn, I feel you are part right about the track thing. I find that I start as master and end as servant, and it's certainly the sounds that tell me where they go. There's an old saying that goes something like 'For the Novice, the paths are limitless, for the Master, they are but few.' I'm no Master as of yet, but I certainly see the logic therein.

Sitar,
Do what feels good.

Kick ass, people. Let's keep this live thing alive, and se if we can't push things forward a little more.

Ape

Message 54/65                 Date: 20-Mar-02  @  12:50 PM   -   RE: Live techniques?

sitar

I can feel writing this way is gonna open up some floodgates for me, flowing better as you point out Marianimal. I've learned quite a bit about my gear now. Mindspawn, yea life and human touch are the things that make music beautiful. I forgot you used to play jazz Pongoid. All I can say is that I absolutely loved seeing you throwin the beats down. I need another fix though.   Yours was the first cd I picked up from a DTer too. Mindspawn, yours was the second.

Message 55/65                 Date: 20-Mar-02  @  01:13 PM   -   RE: Live techniques?

Pongoid

I'll see waht I can manage. NY is getting to be a bit overdue for a visit. Paris has got its claws pretty well dug in, but maybe I can sneak over there some time this summer.

Ape

Got a gig for me?

;)

Message 56/65                 Date: 20-Mar-02  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: Live techniques?

sitar

Wish I did Ape. It's the time thing.

Message 57/65                 Date: 27-Mar-02  @  02:12 AM   -   RE: Live techniques?

brentym

wow. sorry i missed this one.
i am currently putting together a set using a RM1X, a sampler, an EA1, an ES1, and a multi FX unit going into a 16 channel mixer and through a compressor then out to the mains.

what i have been doing is sequencing 8-16 bar loops in the RM1X that trigger the samples and occasionally the internal sounds on the RM. i use the RM mutes and the mutes on my mixer to build and setup breakdowns and such. i also have this synced up with the korgs to mix in and out with.

i will be mixing it up a lot tempo and style wise.
around here (phoenix AZ) there aren't a lot (any that i know of) of people doing this sort of thing. also i come from a more guitar, bass, drums, background so i am not sure people will know what to make of it.
the gigs i have lined up are in places more accustomed to the standard song-based sets.
it will be interesting to see how all of this goes over.

anyway, this site has been indispensable in helping me figure out how all the parts fit together and i just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Message 58/65                 Date: 27-Mar-02  @  10:27 PM   -   RE: Live techniques?

xoxos

well here's a place to start (sure there are a dozen like it) contact promoters for gigs.. i tracked down several of the artists and they have pretty varied material, so i'm thinking if you're fairly electronic, you'll blend. get a gig, do a show, it's a party. if you give me a ride, i'll do a set.

Message 59/65                 Date: 28-Mar-02  @  05:36 PM   -   RE: Live techniques?

Pongoid

I did that for too long. I find word of mouth from friends and associates works wonders over press packets and faxes.

Ape

Message 60/65                 Date: 28-Mar-02  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: Live techniques?

brentym

thanks for the link.

actually, the guys that run the club i work at now are opening up a larger venue next month. they were doing larger shows (700-1500 capacity) outside in the parking lot, but the overhead is too much. mostly "alternative" rock kind of stuff but they have had shows like the chemical bros.,hip hop, and bluegrass stuff (not all at once).

anyway, with this new place i am going to try talk them into putting on some shows geared more towards the electronic-dj-dance-vibe so maybe in a few months...

and you could all crash at my house

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 65 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum