0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: the final stage

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 11-Oct-04  @  10:21 AM   -   the final stage

Dominic

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm having difficulty understanding something. If I am choosing to have my drum sample VST samples to be 32 bit on load and am bouncing down my soft synths to WAV's at 24 bit, then do I choose to record (on my CDR 2 track) at 16 bit or 24 bit and can people I send a 24 bit CDR to, play it on a standard system. Sorry if this is a crap, basic question.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 41/60                 Date: 21-Oct-04  @  06:53 PM   -   RE: the final stage

Influx

Link?: Link

"Yer, not mixing in the PC. Pure mackie desk mixing Influx. Usually I can think and sort out the studio problems but this ones got me flumuxed"

If youre doing all the settings on the mixer, why in the world would you leave everything at unity?

Id think you would have to be pulling some faders down, including the main buss

I honestly think youre just overcomplicating all this...too much compression (gain boost most likely) and then just goin in too hot

altho 25dB is a lot!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 42/60                 Date: 21-Oct-04  @  08:18 PM   -   RE: the final stage

k

Link?:  Link

dom mate - i read the thread and cant see the whole picture... can you tell/show the chain and routing and what have you? - you are using a mixer you say?... what make/model - you are using logic too?... what's the setup?, how is logic routed to mixer?, how is mixer routed to what?...

there's not a clear explanation here, the discussion hops around between points but never paints the whole picture

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 43/60                 Date: 22-Oct-04  @  03:30 PM   -   RE: the final stage

Dominic

Thanks K but I reckon I've explained it. I'm not going to write it all out again bruv. Its cool, I'm going to hire a masterlink for the weeken via studio spares and test my theories out over the weekend. WIll report back on Monday. Cos I'm sound like that.

Message 44/60                 Date: 22-Oct-04  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: the final stage

psylichon

What physical outputs of the Mackie are you connecting to the 410? Cause the only inputs on that card are RCA unbalanced, and the only outputs on the mackie that are RCA unbalanced are, i think, the tape outputs. Those should work for you if you feed your main mix to the tape outs. If you're using any other output with some sort of adapter cable, you're feeding +4 balanced into -10 unbalanced and it's gonna distort.

Message 45/60                 Date: 22-Oct-04  @  04:21 PM   -   RE: the final stage

Dominic

Psy you nutter, I think you might have cracked it!!!!!

Just been reading the Mackie manual (again) and they talk about the difference between using unbalanced and balanced outputs!!!! I was using the jack main mix outputs to feed the 410. So, you're saying for me to use the tape outs (which actually have a +4db/-10db switch) to feed the mix back into the 410? I think you might be right bruv.!!!! Will report back Monday. Thank you.

Message 46/60                 Date: 22-Oct-04  @  04:23 PM   -   RE: the final stage

psylichon

hehe, only said that on page 2 bro...

hope it works out for ya

Message 47/60                 Date: 22-Oct-04  @  05:37 PM   -   RE: the final stage

milan

and on which page did i say that he's a nutter???

and on which were we all shouting GAIN MISMATCH untill blue in the face???

Message 48/60                 Date: 22-Oct-04  @  07:21 PM   -   RE: the final stage

Influx

hell I think I even said it once or twice 

Message 49/60                 Date: 26-Oct-04  @  05:20 PM   -   RE: the final stage

Dominic

Right then, the masterlink! We'll you were all correct. (But you all already knew this). The masterlink took the level from the desk with no problems. Thank you all.

However:-

I'm selling my whole studio and buying a laptop with FL studio as the host and reason 2.5 as the client. Plus T-Racks. Why the hell did I pursue this bloody hardware route for sooo long! Probably because I'm stubborn.

Dominic - "there is no way that Reason sounds good. It sounds like shit. It sounds like a toy!"

16 year old garage producer - "have you heard Reason after its been through T-Rack and through a decent soundcard though?"

Dominic - "no"

16 year old garage producer - "here you go. This is something I did in 2 days in Reason"

Dominic - "wow. That's pretty good bruv, did you get it mastered"

16 year old garage producer - "nah. Just bunged it through T-Racks. And used a preset"

Dominic - (cough) "I'm sold"

Oh well, I'm only 3 years late then!!!!!

Message 50/60                 Date: 26-Oct-04  @  05:40 PM   -   RE: the final stage

k

Link?:  Link

lol

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 60 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum