0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Deejay & deejay kit

Subject: DJ´s get all defensive about this

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 18-Aug-02  @  10:58 AM   -   DJ´s get all defensive about this

TIC

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

well i have made electronic music for about 4 years (little more actually) and been into the music for about 6 years. And now i have decided that i have to learn how to dj so that i can offer both a live show and a dj set (prolly gets more gigs) but since i can´t really afford two decks and a real mixer i decided to use what i the stuff i already have ie my laptop. So i got myself a copy of Traktor (liked that software best) and started to learn how to mix. after about six months i could put together a pretty decent set (not just my opinion a guy i know who has been dj @ docklands also thougth so) well anyway i have gotten a lot of shit from diffrent dj´s who almost refuse talking to me about dj stuff just because i use a laptop. Some say it is to easy to learn how to dj on them (automatic beat matching automatic bpm calculation automatic syncing of bass drums on tracks) So i lied about my mixtape to a some people (said i had made it with two decks when it actually was just vinyls that i had recorded and then encoded to mp3) and then a got a much much warmer welcome until i told them that it was a mp3 set with Traktor ofcourse then they all claimed to have heard somthing wrong with it. Can some one plz explain why dj´s act this way?

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 41/62                 Date: 26-Aug-02  @  01:52 AM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

influx

Link?:  Link

nope thats not it

a band called Bile did an album called Technowhore..or maybe teknowhore? cant remember

there was some MEAN shit on there!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=901362093

what a coinkydink

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 42/62                 Date: 27-Aug-02  @  11:07 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

Brett

it comes down to credebility. when people see decks, they know for damn sure you are actually doing the mixing. A laptop could be a little cheat box they think it's all pre-recorded, or even worse in mp3 software you can enter the BMP of all the tracks in the playlist, and then just pick cue points and it will sync for you. You just start and stop or work the crossfader. Dont really see a newbie getting recognized for it. Now if you were some big hyped up act with compilations out, people will pay to see you play a jam box! And leave thinking it was the best live show they had ever seen. I am kidding here, but it comes down to perception. You are new and you need to proove yourself in the gene before embarking on a new form of "dj'ing" that hasn't gained it's place yet. Trust me, mixing on cd's, tables, and mp3 all have diferant feel. If you learn this Tracktor way don't expect vinyl to be the same. you will need to adapt you skills. It is easy for someone who has spun forever to do them all, but nothing prepares you for the live gig but the live gig. the sound some time shit and so loud you think you head is going to explode, or the delays drive you nuts so you have to crank the monitor to drowned them out and you hurt you ears. people bump the decks and now you are skipping etc etc etc. goodluck with whatever you are doing.

Message 43/62                 Date: 28-Aug-02  @  08:21 AM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

TiC

well brett i must say well spoken and i can prolly agree with u there
but what is wrong with entering the bpm in the playlist (my friend always writes down the bpm on the sleves to his records)
and what is wrong with saving a few good cue points in a track this way u can work much faster
and do some stuff u normaly can´t (like some crazy loopin and stuff with the same track on both decks and cue up the next track in the 10s or so thats left)
by the way u should all read the interveiw with plastikman on the future music web site

Message 44/62                 Date: 29-Aug-02  @  01:07 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

milan

i'd have something to say on the subject, but fortunately i'm still on holiday :P

Cheers, M.

Message 45/62                 Date: 29-Aug-02  @  02:42 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

beds

holidays are for wimps

Message 46/62                 Date: 29-Aug-02  @  04:38 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

dissonance

Link?: Link

Richie Hawtin...aka PlaistikMan....lives and dies by the Final Scratch...nuff said.

dissonance

Message 47/62                 Date: 29-Aug-02  @  07:15 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

Drop

Thats cos Richie Hawtin and John Aquavia are beeing paid to road test it! Final Scratch is for producers like Chris Cowie who can't DJ!

Message 48/62                 Date: 30-Aug-02  @  04:22 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

dissonance

Explain how Final Scratch is for producers that can't DJAY?

In actuality...it forces one to djay. It doesn't mix or match beats for you...it's a control interface. It allows you to play mp3's or wavs..or a couple other formats of digital music using vinyl as the base of control.

How that is for "producers that can't djay" is beyond me.

dissonance

Message 49/62                 Date: 30-Aug-02  @  05:32 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

Pongoid

I used to get all bent out of shape on method, and sometimes still do, but the bottom line is this, at least in my book: You send promoters a mix of tunes. If they like it, they book you to play a mix. Whatever you're mixing, you mix, however you do it, you do it. If you're mixing it live and on the spot, then fuck the heavy vinyl carrying fools (of which I am one from time to time). OK, so the software matches transient. That IS convenient, but the method is secondary to the results. I'd rather hear a DAT of good music than perfectly executed live shit music, or sloppy mixing, but that's me.

I used to think that bringing a computer to a gig was weak. I learned that there are ways to PLAY music with them in a live fashion, so I got woken up, and now don't hate on them so badly. HOWEVER, I never got over folks trying to bullshit me or others when they are just mixing whatever, and trying to play it off as a live set. I've got a friend who uses Ableton Live in combination with records, and that I'd playing a hybrid live set, cuz it's interspersing it with others' records, and I'm all for doing it to make a good set of music. The thing is being honest in what you do. You don't have to advertise about it, but be honest if folks ask, and don't advertise falsely. Ok, my two cents.

Ape

Message 50/62                 Date: 30-Aug-02  @  06:26 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

selma

what a sensible $.02

I would add that if you're digital mixing, you owe it to the music to exploit the medium and try stuff that couldn't be done on 1200's.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 62 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum