0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Vocal samples?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Original Message                 Date: 14-Jun-00  @  11:41 PM   -   Vocal samples?

nickdej

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Anybody know of any sites that have vocal samples(whole songs) on them? I currently need some lyrics to mix with a song.

~n

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 41/84                 Date: 17-Jul-00  @  03:16 AM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

jj

have to say in regards to warhol, dude wasn't playing tricks on art, playing tricks on someone else entirely.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 42/84                 Date: 17-Jul-00  @  01:46 PM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

is that art?

Message 43/84                 Date: 17-Jul-00  @  08:47 PM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

Breakerbox

I agree on this with both sides... i hate presampled scrtaches and some vocals...
but i think pongoid and damballah both have the wrong attitude.
you can make a pint but you shouldn't be mean to person who asked the question, and if you think your attitude was right why did you get so many shittalk, and you answered them too... as far as ant warhol goes...mmm... i think he kind of sucks but i don think anyone who likes him are stupid bitch ass wankers.... get the point?

Message 44/84                 Date: 17-Jul-00  @  09:46 PM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

breakerbox

if i could only spell...

Message 45/84                 Date: 17-Jul-00  @  10:56 PM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

damballah

I wasn't abusive. You just mad about that XL-1 thread, right?

Pop Art traces its ancestry back to dada, Marcel Duchamp in particular. Warhol was a very good draughtsman before he started producing the work he's famous for. Yes, it is art. I'm not going to do an art history essay here, though.

Message 46/84                 Date: 17-Jul-00  @  11:21 PM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

d...

You sure I'm not a stupid bitch ass wanker?

Message 47/84                 Date: 17-Jul-00  @  11:39 PM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

krisgot

caspar. Yes, a bold statement but I stand by it. There is absolutely no doubt that the DJ and DJ-culture has played an essential part in the dance music we hear today. Like it or not. Everything changed in the mid-80's when cuts, scratching and of course the drum-machine enabled DJ's to create their own sounds suitable for the dance floor in stead of just playing records. This was in Chicago, Detroit and later Belgium, London and Ibiza and pretty soon these DJ's were collaborating with musicians and producers and turning out their own records. Now before this time there was music and people danced to it, but it wasn't intended for the discoteque as is the case now. Sure there are excellent dance music artists, who are not DJ's, but if you look at the high quality acts of today, you'll most often see a DJ in there some where. I.e. Underworld, Faithless, EBTG, Beck, etc.

Now the genre has evolved and there are so many hybrids. Today, one could probably not call dance music the expression of DJ's alone. They themselves have become commercialized pop stars. The thing about true dance music is that it is faceless, nameless and constantly evolves into new forms. But the early influence of DJ's was always there. The dance genre feeds off "real" music with sequencing and sampling, but now you see well established musicians getting into techno and house. The circle is completed. I'm sure you will agree that there are intelligent forms of music made by DJ's, just as there is a lot a trash too.

I wish I was as ellequ.... elliquen.... er... good with English as jj, but unfortunately I'm not a native speaker.

Message 48/84                 Date: 18-Jul-00  @  03:49 AM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

jj

Well pongoid, yeah it is art. Don't think I'm a 'fan' of Warhol's, and I havn't really engaged his thought by any means, and perhaps (though I'm not convinced) dt is no place for an art lecture, but I'll just drop a morsel of thought on you.

Duchamp's vision (intellectual) was that of re/de contextualization. I think you'll find behind every great 'discovery' or 'creation' an act of recontextualization. Warhol picked up on this most potent of potent thoughts and continued the process, by de/re contextualizing just about anything he could get his hands/mind on: M. Monroe, tomato soup, empire state building, elvis, and on and on.

Of course, this is why I asked you about Koonts (and all the rest) in another thread, cause this guy is taking this power (recontext) to the extreme: Framing a nike poster of moses malone for example.

Let me put this in simple terms: if you and I were duking it out, and I could drop you with a kick, punch, trip combo, I'd be strong, now if you could drop me with a flick of your pinky's fingernail, surely you'd be the most potent mo fo around, ya? (though you'd prob be the queerest sonbitch about, anyway) I look at these fruits (warhol, koonts, though koonts did try to bulk up for his nudie photographes with his wife) as the strongest fools around, cause they don't need a canvas to splater their paint on in a J.D. stabalized fit of suppressed homosexual insecurity (read: j. pollack), but instead need a frame, or mearly a buisness card. Koonts with that silly poster jeapordizes: nike, the "corporation", professional athletics, race, nationalizm, polotics, economics, religion... with a simple frame. A frame my man, a frame. I see this as a powerfully intelligent act, which is indeed, by any standard, an act of creation through recontextualization.

This is why I'm so interested in sampling, and Djing(not that I dj). Sampling is the act of recontextualizing sound, is it not? And yes, in your sampler you can crunch, mangle, and whatever your sound into bits, but this really is infact just recontextualizing the original sound. Djing as well, (at it's best) is a similar act of recontextualizing through juxtoposition, sequencing, ect.

Now really, I'm on your side when it comes to all the foolio's out there that wanna be big boys, but shit man, I think there are far more interesting things out there to talk about, fer example...

Recontextualizing the lyrics for a song by cutting, pasting, sampling, juxtoposing, damn whatever you can think of. Now, the original post up there is not on par with the aformentioned pillars of contemporary thought, but do you wanna put limits on what that guy can achieve, or limit his futur posibilities? Who knows where his interests will take him! He could be sitting there listening to his canned lyrics, and receive inspiration for new directions in musical thought that can change the path of global consciousness. Yeah? Yes! Probably not, but I wouldn't put limits on any human's ability to see new posibilies. Possibilities, perhaps, he releases that song with canned lyrics, and some kid hears it and says this is the most inauthentic piece of shit I've ever heard, I'm gonna make music that means something... (read: Pongoid). Possibilites, too many possibilities out there.

So my suggestion to nickdej is read all these posts, and follow all of the good advice: get a mic, learn to sing, make contacts with other like minded people, meet super sexy bitches with great voices and low self esteem, and all the rest, but surely go out and download those canned lyrics, go download pongoid's tunes and start ripping that fucker off, just do it all (the marching band really starts to pump it here) but most of all, be fruitful and multiply. Multiply your options, possibilies, thoughts, actions, loves, tunes, romances, CREATE.

Message 49/84                 Date: 18-Jul-00  @  10:50 PM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

breakerbox

I like sampling like the way dj shadow in endroducing no the ones on car commercial all lifted from 2 sample cds and put together in acid or something...
and no i dont think youare a stupid bitch ass wanker etc.
english is not my native language either...

Message 50/84                 Date: 18-Jul-00  @  11:52 PM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

pict

Hmmm! JJ I think it's a bit presumptious to say that we'll find "behind every great 'discovery' or 'creation' an act of recontextualization" where do you draw the line between plagiarism or plain old chancing your luck with a gullible audience and de/recontextualisation.There's quite a difference between the highly skilful drawings of Gustav Dore or Dürer or even the symbolic Art found in the Lasceaux caves and many modern "artists" idea of the concept alone being the Art.I don't think the average punter thinks of dead sheep being displayed in formaldehyde filled glass cases as Art maybe a few intellectuals can theorise and spout about it but they have fuck all common sense if they call that Art.

I do agree with your go forth and multiply sentiment though far better to create how ever small and insignificant your creation may be,but always be prepared for criticism when you place it before an audience.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

There are 84 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum