0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Why do people DJ live?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 31-Mar-00  @  04:38 AM   -   Why do people DJ live?

nickdej

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Why is it that when electronic music is played live that people use records? Wouldnt it make more sense to use a keyboard? Could somebody please explain this to me

Thanks

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 41/51                 Date: 07-Jun-00  @  05:46 PM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

That's a very tough question regarding the Duchamp->Warhol->Koons evolution of conceptual art versus..."artisan art"(?), and my thoughts on it. I'm not too familiar with Duchamp, in fact not at all, but as for Warhol, and Koons, I don't really have much respect for the pieces they've created, but I can appreciate the pisstakes they've pulled on the art world. I have a lot more respect for someone like Michelangelo, cut and polished his stone BY HAND, and did't get apprentices to color in his frescos, or hire someone else to do it with cash, drugs, or sexual favors. When you see a piece by a certain artist in a gallery, you may compliment the owner on his fine collection, or arranger's taste in display, but you don't offer to blow him onstage for it. You recognize that an artist made the piece itself, and that artist matters as a creative individual.

Okay, let's say you take a little sculpture by one artist, and another from another artist, perhaps, laying one on top of another. It would be very hard to say simply 'installation by _(arranger's name)_' without acknowledging who the two 'arranged'pieces were in fact made by without being a considdered a completely egocentric fuckhead posing as some sort of artist wannabe. Now if hundreds of pieces were arranged in a way that all togther form a complete piece, with each piece contributing to the whole, each being a significant contibutor to the identity of a piece as a whole,that might be seen as a different case. I suppose it depends where you draw the line of contributing elements as individual pieces in their own rites. I would have a bit of a hard time worrying about the guy at the paint factory who mixed William Alexander's Prussian Blue while looking at it in another mundane still life of trees in front of mountains with ochre cliffs and pink sunset skies, painted by another bored nursing home patient, you know what I mean?

Now, if the piece consisted of a piece of hand beaten papyrus, splashed with some psychedelic insanity of a single colour of paint, that came completely textured with dust of mother of pearl, and obsidian slivers, I might be interested in the name of the guy that made the paint.

Did they cross the art line? Sounds like an argument of somantics.

Ape

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 42/51                 Date: 16-Jun-00  @  11:35 AM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

Pongoid

So that's it?

Ape

Message 43/51                 Date: 16-Jun-00  @  11:52 AM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

damballah

That was pretty good. Almost as good as the strap-on one. Yep.

Message 44/51                 Date: 16-Jun-00  @  01:26 PM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

Pongoid

...and that!

Message 45/51                 Date: 20-Jun-00  @  01:35 AM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

jojo the dog faced boy

just to distract the thread ....
i gots me a friend who begun djing `bout 12 months ago and has recently come down with what could be called discjock cranial imflamation( i.e he thinks he's good )

He claims that that art of djing beats the shit out of a live PA and that the only good producers are dj's.

I fuck around with me bedroom studio (which is practically nothing) and can't really make cool shit as yet. i kinda dj by numbers (find the exact bpm and shift by the speed control. roughly 1 tone = roughly 1 bpm. add or subtract. Only works for about 100-130 bpm and past there things go awry

meanwhile him with a bunch of other people productions in his all too trendy record bag gets to ponce around like the next supasta (spelt as is)

What the hell am i gonna tell him .... when i can't make anything good yet

i firmly belive that a live pa with your dat players and sequencers and mixers and whatnot has more creative control then 6 grams of vinyl on two tired ol 1200's and can rock the crowd more.

Would you rather see a live act then a dj ?

lets open the lines
first caller, you're on the air

Message 46/51                 Date: 20-Jun-00  @  08:14 AM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

nobody

well what I like is when dj's get caught up doing blow & forget not to trainwreck mixes. educate us all in boomcha a bit. fuck. i'd rather DO. right now i'm waiting for my coffee & then i'm going to um.. work. then i come home & be supasta dj! some (very very few) dj's rock. some "live" acts are so worthless or obnoxious as to rouse moral indignation. ok well that's the dictionary definition of despicable. everyone sucks. i don't generalize anything ever at all. i still love to touch vinyl though. headphones can cause hearing damage anyway.. and to one ear only, depending. hi!

Message 47/51                 Date: 20-Jun-00  @  07:52 PM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

pongoid

You got a bud who's been playing records and has his head up his ass? Only DJ's make good producers? Tell this shithead he's retarded, and ask him to try to do something original, without other peoples' sounds. SO you're still a beginner. Wait a bit and let him get grow out of his shit. He will. They all do eventually. They finally learn that they need us, and we don't need them, then they realize the score. The public may never learn this, but as long as you can eat, who cares about the fame bullshit? It's really all just bullshit. I'm telling you. Have the prick read this thread as well. He'll shut right up. He can't argue these points in this thread. you should read it all too.

Ape

Message 48/51                 Date: 21-Jun-00  @  03:02 AM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

terrac

Well, there is probably not too much that I feel that has not already been said, but I can sum it up with a small phrase.
Records take less work to play for people than electronic instruments. Also a more diverse range of sound is available from a smaller collection of things.
This is why people play records more often than gear.

Message 49/51                 Date: 21-Jun-00  @  08:11 AM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

Pongoid

Word, bro. So cool to see you here. Big ups. Check out Mokney Morcel in music/tech.

Ape

Message 50/51                 Date: 10-Jul-00  @  08:41 PM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

brad

pongoid 6/20
WINS.

And now for some statistics pulled straight out of my ass, or rather, my perception.

About 5% of DJs deserve musical creativity credit.
These are the guys who are pulling on records so much that you don't even think about making requests, and these are the guys who are chucking them up at the lights and weird shit like that. Or, at the VERY least, it is their job to have some music that NO ONE else has yet, to be an ambassador. That's probably another 5%, and I respect their diligence.

About 90% of DJs enjoy the ignorance the public has with regard to the difference between reproduced and
produced music, and they prosper from it often, while musicians hide, away from society, zoning in on their art. Higher form of life? 90% of the time, yes.
Most DJs are just play-pushing pussy hounds. Please excuse my burst of righteousness.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 51 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum