0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Software VS Hardware

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 14-Mar-01  @  08:03 PM   -   Software VS Hardware

speedload20

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I'm doing a report for the local university about the strengths and weeknesses of using either software or hardware or a combination in your studio. That is basing your studio on either software or hardware.

I would appreciate all thoughts on this topic! Please don't say "Software sucks" or something like that. Tell me WHY it sucks. WHY doesn't it sound/act like hardware? Will software close up on hardware once the computers can start handeling more and more voices/realtime effects?

Thanks!

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 41/48                 Date: 30-Mar-01  @  02:43 PM   -   RE: Software VS Hardware

Jasper

Link?:  No link

do you know of any dual input vst gates?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 42/48                 Date: 30-Mar-01  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: Software VS Hardware

damballah

Dave Brown's dynamics processor (you can use it as a compressor or a gate). If I'm remembering this right, you insert one on what you want to use as your trigger and there's a place where you set it up as like "Key 1 Out". Then you insert one on what you want to gate, and set that up as "Key 1 In." I haven't screwed with it in a while and I'm not sitting in front of it, but that's the gist of it. Well, it's direct x, isn't it, but it still should work.

Message 43/48                 Date: 08-Apr-01  @  12:17 AM   -   RE: Software VS Hardware

influx

forgot about this one.

wish I hadnt found it again.

Message 44/48                 Date: 09-Apr-01  @  02:10 PM   -   RE: Software VS Hardware

Defector Z

Link?: Link

What are you bored? ;-)

Message 45/48                 Date: 12-Apr-01  @  08:16 PM   -   RE: Software VS Hardware

goatrance303

the rhetorical question of using DAT's live is pretty valid.

Hallucinogen, Astral Projection, Infected Mushroom, and lots of other big names in psytrance all play off dats 'live'.

there's just too much involved in good trance to use a hardware sequencer or trust a computer to do in realtime. you gotta drop it to audio somehow or it A. sounds simple or B. it chunks

all these ppl trippin about playing live should just write good music and dj it, or bring their pc and mix audio files or something.

-c

Message 46/48                 Date: 14-Apr-01  @  05:40 AM   -   RE: Software VS Hardware

PointBeing

so back to the question, it depends on what you know. my computer ONLY crashes when i use that stupid ppd fee synth because of a "page fault error" wich means the programmers made an infinate recursian, fucked up their pointers or some other bullshit that i dont feel like talking about. anyway...... yea, the best thing about using all s/w is that you never have to worry about changing settings back to how they were for each song.. like with hardwear, you have to set up the e.q., compressors, effects, et cetera for each song each time you work on it. with software, you open the files and boom its there. with the pro-52, ppg wave, b4, the Atom, battery, VST 5.0 and Acid Pro 2.0, and a bunch of s/w effects, you can easily be all set to go. i use those on a p3 700 mhz with 256 mb ram wich is a dinasaur compared to some of the stuff available (1.4 ghz namely) and my cpu usage is FINE. i have almost NEVER had a problem in orion and the limitations in VST are understandable and easy to work around. both h/w and s/w have advantages and disadvantages.. about the sound quality, if it sounds good, it is. S/w sounds good, h/w sounds good. they sound different. Also with h/w you have to worry about noise and recording into the computer.. with all s/w noise is never an issue (unless you are using a distortion plug-in that is being a bitch, but even then a simple gate will do).

the only thing i feel i am missing is a spectrum analyzer...

Message 47/48                 Date: 14-Apr-01  @  06:59 PM   -   RE: Software VS Hardware

PointBeing

http://srd.yahoo.com/goo/reaktor+synths/3/*http://tweakheadz.com/digital_audio_tricks.html

go there

Message 48/48                 Date: 17-Apr-01  @  03:42 PM   -   RE: Software VS Hardware

k

hey the new PPd is fixed for that error - you can get the new version free at their website.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 48 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum