0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: want to program?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 26-Mar-03  @  05:32 PM   -   want to program?

xoxos

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

trying to learn c++ with no money was a total pain in the ass.. after all this time i finally found a language that's free, has decent power (can create exportable .exes.. want one??) and is well documented (after giving up several years ago back when the old people saying 'qbasic is in dos' still thought it was.)

i don't believe it codes .dlls (for vsti) directly but it handles a lot of other things, ie. com ports. i wouldn't expect the performance of c++ but if you've ever wanted to build your own midi sequencer, audio arranger and are as abhorrent of finance as i, here you go.

already written my own 'wordpad' app after about 5 hours! successfully opened, created, edited files!

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 41/45                 Date: 10-Apr-03  @  05:50 PM   -   RE: want to program?

swanofnever

Link?:  No link

hey,

the main difference between AS and other langs is that you the programmer are forced to have more discipline (i.e there's no formal/automatic mechanism present in the language for "making" a process private or public. however, if you simply treat/use it as private/public, there's no difference)...

sadly, i learnt the "you can ace all your assignments but still know nothing abour real programming" thing in 2nd year. that really sucked. to be honest, i'm hoping to never have to face "real" programming, by getting into game coding -- smaller teams, and WAY looser practices.

and.. i ALWAYS comment and label things. i HAVE to, because (due to AS), flash can't really tell me anything about anything -- i need to tell my(future)self.

aaaanyway, i have no doubt that you know what you're talking about, but.. i say ;P to the business world. it's gross!! i want some damn creativity with my coding! otherwise i'm just another of the legion of IT monkeys.

raigan

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 42/45                 Date: 10-Apr-03  @  06:25 PM   -   RE: want to program?

99devils

Link?: Link

Hmmm.. There's some truth in that, but I run across things all the time which require very creative and intricate solutions. Business problems are just another set of requirements to be met..

-Craig

PS - the real world pays better  

Message 43/45                 Date: 11-Apr-03  @  04:37 AM   -   RE: want to program?

xoxos

no it doesn't   i'm part of a team for a 'shamanic journey' vid game.. player enters into different realms by acquiring entheogens and battles against manipulatuve moneyed enterprises in medieval mileu... way more rewarding than money  

Message 44/45                 Date: 11-Apr-03  @  10:25 AM     Edit: 11-Apr-03  |  10:27 AM   -   RE: want to program?

Fhalyndon'gan

"Darkbasic"? Isn't that like Joy Division or something.  

Message 45/45                 Date: 11-Apr-03  @  02:11 PM   -   RE: want to program?

99devils

Xoxos - maybe, but the real world just rewarded me with a Nord Modular so there  

-Craig

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 45 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum