0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: music as language

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 23-Apr-00  @  04:03 PM   -   music as language

casparproject

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Ok, this is a thread I've been thinkin of starting for a while. The idea is, I've been feeling in the past few months like my music is actually communicating emotion in a way that is much more efficient than speech. Something as simple as a filter sweep at the right time seems to be able to communicate something to people that, well, just can't be expressed in words. Tingles are common, other people just stare at me, especially live, as if I've just said something incredibly intriguing about myself. Is music actually a functional part of human evolution in this respect. Is music our other language?

Peaceout

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 41/44                 Date: 12-Jun-00  @  09:16 AM   -   RE: music as language

sitar

Link?:  Link

No this was a different thing. The feeling that accompanied it was a sort of ecstacy. Definately an inner connection being made. I felt very sound inside...no pun intended...really

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 42/44                 Date: 13-Jun-00  @  08:43 AM   -   RE: music as language

Pongoid

Yup, I've done that one. Always lookin for more of it. That's a lot of what it's all about, I think, and when you can convey that to others,...at least some of you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Ape

Message 43/44                 Date: 13-Jun-00  @  02:19 PM   -   RE: music as language

sitar

I think those are moments that remind us of what we really are and the unfathomable force to which we are all connected and part of. We forget 'cause we're always looking out in front of ourselves for survival.

Message 44/44                 Date: 13-Jun-00  @  06:12 PM   -   RE: music as language

Mindspawn

Link?: Link

Just want to add a few bits to an already excellent discussion. I'm not well versed, but I have read some books now and again...

There's several groups of folk that have done brainwave/sound studies. Most center around the idea of 'entrainment' which has been covered to some extent in the earlier posts. Basically, it assumes the brain is like a tuning fork. When you strike a tuning fork and bring it near a similar static one, the static one will begin to vibrate sympathetically with the original. Entrainment assumes that same thing happens with the brain.

Also, not the same thing but along the same lines, check out the work of MaryAnne Armacher. She's got some CDs and a book about creating sound inside the ear. One of the examples can be found on her 'Sound Characters' disc. She creates these sounds that create other sounds inside your own ear canal! Pretty interesting stuffs...

As for music being a language, certainly. I'm a bit of an emotional 'retard' and I have a great deal of trouble expressing emotions in words, but with sound... altogether different matter. There have been many times when I've felt I couldn't describe something in words, but I could play 'its sound.' I also tend to think that sound might be a lot bigger than we think. There's those 'golden moments' when it seems like I'm sitting there 'watching' myself play as if I were not the one pulling the strings. that tends to be some of the best stuff I get down, yet it feels very hard to take credit for something I just 'let happen.' When the muse whispers, listen...

As for blowing up the Earth with sound, sure, in theory it can be done. You'd have to have a hell of a sound system though. A couple of tidbits from me days in the military: a powerful enough high frequency sound can burn the skin right off your bones. A powerful enough low frequency sound can literally turn you into jello - just before it blasts you into oblivion. Of course, you'd need a woofer driven by a piston the size of the London Tower, but it could work. however, very economically prohibitive....

Anyhoos, great thread folks, this is what I love about this site!

Peace All

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 44 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum