0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: RIAA wants you!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12

Original Message                 Date: 26-Jul-03  @  06:01 PM   -   RIAA wants you!

beds

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

^ look

* if i remember correctly, in the first three months of this year music sales increased in the uk.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 31/116                 Date: 02-Aug-03  @  06:53 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

PB

Link?:  No link

lemme try something

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 32/116                 Date: 02-Aug-03  @  06:54 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

PB

Link?:  No link

blahblahblah

Message 33/116                 Date: 03-Aug-03  @  06:29 AM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

Pongoid

Link?: Link

wow. That bold thing was a neat trick. Wonder how that happened. I hope that a number of things happen, including basically most of hollywood burning to the ground, as long as all of the gear is out of there and in the hands of the the non-greedy. I hope that the majors crumble and things cycle around to the way they used to be, where there were folks whe were making things just to be the best they could be, not making things to be the most saleable they could be. This applies both the music and the tools to associated with it.

Ape

Message 34/116                 Date: 03-Aug-03  @  11:33 AM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

Influx

sorry bout that.

ape..we're in total agreement on everything except that you seem to think its only the record companies doing the screwing.

that part I dont agree with

Message 35/116                 Date: 03-Aug-03  @  07:00 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

Pongoid

Dude, come on. You think I DON'T know that it isn't just the record companies doing the screwing? I'm not gonna go into any sob stories, so I'll keep it brief when I say I've been fucked over, or had others in my life and career that tried to fuck me over more times than I can count; and my math is pretty good. In this case, though, Rosen and the rest of her toilet dwellers take the cake/urinal-mint. They suck ass, and it isn't to help studios, or club owners, or independent record distributors, or musicians, or graphic artists, or video artists, or anybody else except their investors, who already have more money than they could ever use, and are not going to do anything but hoard it and be greedy ass fuck-head pieces of shit that help push the world further into the status of non-viable human-waste pile.

They don't care, so I say make them care. Take their money away, and give it to starving people all over the world, and show them the films of hungry children eating their profits, getting medicine, and learning to read and write, while the greedy fucks have ice-picks shoved under their knee-caps, bamboo spikes slowy pushed under their fingernails, and the odd electrical shock to keep them awake and aware.

grr.

Ape

Message 36/116                 Date: 03-Aug-03  @  09:02 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

cheddar

Link?:  Link

dont forget kids if we even look like we are taking anything back or finding ways to cut out the middle (%) men they will spend very heavily, money, legislation, lives. It does not matter it cannot be allowed to happen - unless they have something even more constraining to replace it

Message 37/116                 Date: 04-Aug-03  @  08:11 PM     Edit: 04-Aug-03  |  08:14 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

Mick

All of this RIAA stuff means little to anyone who appreciates good music because nothing the majors have put out in recent memory qualifies, IMO, as good music. As for the artists, there is enough info out there and its been there long enough for me to not feel bad about someone who still believes in the illusion of "getting signed". Those days have been over for more than twenty years. If an "artist" really cares about their music, their audience, their integrity, AND their income, they will stay independent. If they simply want to be a "rock star" that's their problem and I have little sympathy.

If there is any criticism I can level at file sharing its when people download music made by independents and then not purchasing a CD if they like what they hear. Call me a hypocrite but if someone (Lars Inc.) is on a major label, fuckem because they a part of the problem with the music industry. If its an independent artist (Aimee Mann) having their work go unremunerated then I take exception. My examples above are, I believe, very good examples of two parties arguing the same point and only one having any ground to stand on.

Good or bad music, it works. If their music sucks no one is out major bucks. The artist doesn't owe a record company their house and perhaps goes back to perfect their chosen craft or back to their day job and the potential CD buyer gets to try out the music by downloading for free before buying a $16.00 coaster. If the artist's music is of some merit then the artist keeps the money in their pocket instead of paying to keep the record company's studio friends in catered food and SSL desks while the CD buyer gets quality work at a reasonable price (even if it is the "going rate" the buyer can feel good about being a direct patron to the artist - supporting the release of the artist's next CD).

http://www.cnn.com/2001/WorldBeat/05/14/ani.difranco/

http://u.sbsun.com/Stories/0,1413,216~24307~1526655,00.html

Message 38/116                 Date: 04-Aug-03  @  08:31 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

Influx

I get annoyed by the Ani thing...one of my ex's dragged me to a show, and the merch was still like $25 for a shitty shirt, CDs were $21 or so...

so, because you get to go indy you still charge the inflated commercial rates?

Message 39/116                 Date: 04-Aug-03  @  08:38 PM     Edit: 04-Aug-03  |  08:39 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

Mick

I have to wonder how inflated they really are due to such things as not being able to purchase in bulk and things like that. Metallica can order a ginormous amount of swag at a quantity discount. Regardless, I would rather give the money to an independent.

Message 40/116                 Date: 04-Aug-03  @  09:16 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

Influx

right but if someones hiding behind that, using it for profiteering? Not sayin thats whats going on, but...all these people that talk about wanted to break away from the model, but then follow the same route, but only claim to be diverging?

bro...shirts are like $5-$7 MAX each at low levels...I worked for a printer for 5 years.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12

There are 116 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum