0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Why is digital less warm than....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16

Original Message                 Date: 28-Feb-02  @  09:02 PM   -   Why is digital less warm than....

Mindspawn

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Hey folks, just some food for thought...

We all hear things like, digital isn't as warm as analog, and while I'm not here to argue that specifically, did you ever think about why that is? Outside of some of the basic physical properties, you'd think the two mediums wouldn't be that divergent.... and in some sense, maybe they're not. Now I'm gonna try a little heresy...

Maybe the reason mixes from analog sounds warmer, more musical, whatever, is: our techniques for recording, mixing, etc., are mostly built and modeled on analog experience. We've learned techniques for, say mic placement, that were establised in the analog realm... maybe we should be evaluating new ways of doing things....?

I mean think about one of the most basic differences between the two mediums, the level meter... Many of us that came from the analog world were sorely surprised to find out we couldn't push the LEDs "past the red" on a digital board... Now once I learned how to use digital LEDs, mt life, and my mixes, sounded better...

I'm not really trying to lay out new "rules" of digital recording/mixing, but just bouncing the idea off you all. If you have any experience with what I'm on about here, by all means share it. If you got a "warm sound" from all digital equipment, what was your methodology? Why do you think it worked that way? If you captured a digital take of a vocalist that just simply shimmers, did you do it the "traditional" (i.e., basically as it's always been done on analog equipment) way, or did you find a technique that is exclusive to digital?

Anyhoos, just some thoughts....

Peace All

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 31/157                 Date: 05-Mar-02  @  12:09 AM   -   RE: Why is digital less warm than....

bedwyr

Link?: Link

kind of blue. mmmmm. you know, that rest of the band (apart from mr. davis) had never heard the tunes before they went into the recording? mmmm. everyone should listen to that album.

knowa, have you heard the gill evans arrangement for big band of so what? the whole band plays miles' solo. mmmmm.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 32/157                 Date: 05-Mar-02  @  05:20 AM   -   RE: Why is digital less warm than....

Bedwyr

have you done any digiatl analog hybrid signal chain setups. Like using tube gear for mixdown then digital for masteing etc. I simply export then master in wavlb. so what's you signal path like?

Message 33/157                 Date: 05-Mar-02  @  05:22 AM   -   RE: Why is digital less warm than....

Brett B

Link?:  No link

sorry I started typeing my thread and typed your name(bedwyr) This question is for mindspawn as well. Mixdown and tracking signal chain and processors?

Message 34/157                 Date: 05-Mar-02  @  09:56 AM   -   RE: Why is digital less warm than....

j-type

Just one user's account of digilog signal chains, hope its of interest...

I used to 'master' from my 01V through a Finalizer Express and direct to CDR, all digital all the way. Bought an SPL Vitalizer Mk2T (with tubes) on reputation alone and inserted between the 01V and Finalizer (adding two stages of conversion to the stereo mix, not the best move in theory), and it does make a very welcome difference on the right material. The subtle but noticeable tube sound is there, sparkle, clarity (all the usual superlatives apply) and it's (mostly) all under your control. It's like an adaptive equaliser, adjust one part of the spectrum and the neighbouring frequencies are adjusted in accordance with the Fletcher-Munson curves for optimum sweetness. Best of all, it lets you know if you are feeding it a duff mix, as it hardly has any effect at all on poorly mixed material. Good mixes sound better, bad mixes sound a bit less bad. SPL gear isn't that well known in the US (bad distribution, marketing etc.) but its well worth checking out. Link above^^^

Message 35/157                 Date: 05-Mar-02  @  10:34 AM   -   RE: Why is digital less warm than....

milan

"i just patch in some sorta distortion unit across my main buss. that takes propper care of them dynamics and warmth straight away, i tell ya..."

now seriously: at one studio i used to put finished mixes thru a mindprint tube compressor with variable tube saturation. it has a separate dial for tube drive, so i could choose if i want to compress or not, but still ad some warmth. the unit was equiped with digital i/o so i could go from protools thru the comp and then to dat with just one unavoidable conversion stage. at another place i used to put a finished mix thru channles on a neve, which sounds just sweet. and also, for a short while i had access to a protools rig with Focusrite Red series eq and compressor. that was just the dog´s bollox...

but maaan...there are cheaper ways than those. that PSP vintage warmwer is great, some other emulator plugins also. even the tube saturation on antares mic modeler is great (though not for whole mixes of course). dont sweat the technology too mch, if you´re having music released its bound to go to a profesional mastering studio at some point, and they can take care of that for you.

and anyway, why the hell should raw and underground dance tracks have to sound like audiophile recordings? good music is good music even at lo-fi streaming rates, let alone on a vinyl or a cd. i dont think that many consumers are going to know a difference if you dont use hi quality shit.

just my 2eurocents.

Message 36/157                 Date: 05-Mar-02  @  03:32 PM   -   RE: Why is digital less warm than....

steve

Link?:  No link

true, alex reece did his whole major label/chart success thing with s1000, 106, se50 and a mackie 1604 monitored on cans.

And he always mixed drunk, not bad.

Message 37/157                 Date: 05-Mar-02  @  03:45 PM   -   RE: Why is digital less warm than....

knowa

ooh I gotta hear that bedwyr. yeah, it's easy to get caught up in the audiophile bullshit, esp. for folks like me who surf the net when the day job slows down. seems to me that a pretty typical MOTU/mackie/cubase setup is capable of making really great sounding music and if your tracks don't sound good using this 'consumer' level gear it's because your tracks are not good and/or your mixing skills need refinement (as mine certainly do). the *only* time I've felt limited in terms of sound quality is when using the piano's and strings from my XP-50 for non-dancey projects. with some dope drums, PRA-003 though my POD "tube preamp" setting sounds great. I'm not saying that I could make tracks that sound as beautiful as Kind of Blue, Blowout Comb, or New Forms in my cluttered little cave, but with my little studio that an ambitious teenager could probably get together, there's really no excuse. oh wait, my excuse is that I don't have proper monitors yet.

Message 38/157                 Date: 05-Mar-02  @  10:57 PM   -   RE: Why is digital less warm than....

Mindspawn

milan and knowa - I agree with you completely... It ain't about "perfect recordings" it's about catching a groove... Some of the mixes I've done on shite equipment I still listen to cos they had massive vibe, even though they may have a ton of noise and what not....

Brett - as relates to my signal path, depends on what I'm trying to do. It sometimes never leaves the PC, sometimes it goes through the 01v, sometimes through the TC box... occasionally it goes through a Mackie analog board... It depends whether I'm mixing down from analog sources (going straight into the PC or to DAT), or if I'm mixing down tracks that have already been recorded into the PC, they get mixed inside... In the case of tracking down, say a synth, it'll generally go straight into the PC. I don't tend to bring things out to a board when I'm recording or tracking unless I'm adding in "live" instruments, that is just listening, sorting, organizing a track, prior to recording it to HD. I'm an old guitar player so I occasionally like to dirty the sound with old decrepit stomp boxes, or maybe I need something a bit deeper like using a multi FX box or what have you, got a couple of shiny new bits around here (like my studio partner's Avalon 737 - yeah after all the hubub about using it/not using it with a recent project, he still went out and bought one... o' course, a lot of why he bought it was cos he got it cheap - real cheap... so...) but we almost never bother with them unless we're trying to tweak something on a particular sound or track... Again, it can really vary depending on what I'm after.... I try to go through the least number of conversions/signal chains as possible. I've been able to get very nice warmth just doing little EQ tweaks and whatnot, all in the PC. For synths and stuff, I find you can "warm" the sound just as easily by using synthesis or EQ, as opposed to running through a DI, tube setup, or other preamp type critter.... and the end result is both warm AND clean (or at least "cleaner").

As for a mastering signal path, it either stays in the PC, or it goes from the PC to the Finalizer (AES/EBU) and back into the PC, or for those folks that still bring me DATs, from the DAT straight into the PC, or from DAT through the TC box then to the PC, depending on what I think the track is going to need....

And, I never master my own stuff anymore, least not my dance bits or anything critical... To me, if you create the track, you really ought to let someone else master it, as you really can't be as objective as you should. I'm not saying don't try to master your own tracks (and sometimes, due to budget considerations, one has no choice but to master it on their own). Even on stuff I send out to master, I'll still do a pass myself to see how stuff is going to sound, but from my own experience I generally go with other folk to do the mastering on my trax. I do master other folks bits, that's a good chunk of my income actually... I just don't do it on me own stuff cos I'm too close to my own work to be properly objective about what needs to be done at the mastering stage.

Just me two pesos... yer mileage may vary....

Peace All

Message 39/157                 Date: 06-Mar-02  @  05:38 PM   -   RE: Why is digital less warm than....

Brett B

2 pesos, 2 eurocents. I love it. any 2 franks, or 2 rubals out there?

I feel the same way about the conversion thing. If it's in my pc why go out again. I see the finalizer coming up comming up a lot. I played with one at GC on some material and didn't get anywhere with it. the presets were not cutting it. I guess I would need some time to get the hang of it. So what do you think about the use of TCpowerecore in Wavelab or the likes for mastering. It has the finalizer plug-in on it now. That way no aes/ebu cables to worry about, and it has all those synths, vocoder and antares goodies on it. I still think I need to get a better input signal from my outboard and I was thinking of getting an avalon 747 or a Empirical labs disstressor with that tape transistor on it. In all honesty, I have been budgeting out a Protools rig with a control 24 as well. I wonder if those focusrite pre-s on the control 24 are as good as the standalon units they make? So in the end what I want is Wavlab with the tc-powercore for mastering and the PT setup for tracking and mixing. With the new Nativeinstruments thing, i can use all those softsynths I am used to in PT.

Message 40/157                 Date: 06-Mar-02  @  06:19 PM   -   RE: Why is digital less warm than....

milan

Brett, how about those focusrite RED tdm plugins? i did mastering on protools with those and they were sweet sounding. ok, they are not multiband, but they will deffinitely lend the focusrite sound to your music. powercore finaliser in wavelab sounds like a cool idea deffinitely. i just think finaliser is more of a technical tool, so those plugins are still a valid adition to that.

Control 24 preamps are from the focusrite platinum range, which are still sound sweet mind you, but are surpassed by the red (not to mention blue) stuff they build. though i doubt you´d need more than that for anyway. maybe one good avalon or something in adition to that, for vocals and instruments.

anyway, what are you doing with all that gear Brett? you opening a commercial studio or something? you are talking about more hi-quality standard than i met in some pro studios which still produce quality commercial albums.

my 2 convertible denars :P

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16

There are 157 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum