0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Live techniques?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 20-Jan-02  @  09:36 AM   -   Live techniques?

Pongoid

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I was just wondering how each of you approaches live performance. There's a lot of different ways to play to a crowd, and although I've tried a bunch of different methods myself, I'm always curious to see how others are doing it, and what we can learn from each others' methods.

Ape

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 31/65                 Date: 18-Mar-02  @  01:54 AM   -   RE: Live techniques?

sitar

Jeez. Is there something in the atmosphere today?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 32/65                 Date: 18-Mar-02  @  10:51 AM   -   RE: Live techniques?

Blueprint

Link?: Link

Nice one spawn... useful info...
I can sympathise with the live call...
Once I was playing out live, hammering away on my JP-8000 when this punter came right up to the front, leaned over and asked if I could play "ya know what is what? that Fatboy slim song?"... er..
I juz think if u do it live, u really have to make and effort to come across live, which is why I'm thinken of intergrating live instrumentalists more, live vox, etc... Basement Jaxx do it best like this...
either way, still think nothing beats playing out live... I dj also and it just doesnt compare to the appreciation of people enjoying music u've composed...
As for the sound issue, that's another prob all together... I read an review recently of a "live" gig Jody from Way Out West did that I was at... they mentioned how brilliantly he played "live" and the sound quality he achieved... blah... the guy pressed play on his dat machine(s), sat on the mixer, smiled, played with some eq and levels and that was it... argh... and then I wonder why people confuse playing live with DJ'ing...

Message 33/65                 Date: 18-Mar-02  @  03:56 PM   -   RE: Live techniques?

Pongoid

Sounds lke Chemical Brothers or The Orb. Sellout weaklings. I'm sure you can do better, at least I hope so.

Ape

Message 34/65                 Date: 18-Mar-02  @  07:11 PM   -   RE: Live techniques?

marianimal

Link?:  No link

Hm, no one has pointed out that the theory forum is an odd place for this thread. But I'm curious about what people think of live vocals in dance music. Personally, I like them best when they're either kind of minimal, maybe little chopped up samples, or a really good r&b singer or an M.C. jAswho has this singer Chris Anthony who's really good, he doesn't even have to use words. One really nice thing for people using vocal samples rather than live is no worries about mic feedback problems in clubs that are typically set up for djs. I also get the impression that people dance less when someone is singing verses and choruses and all that, live. They feel they have to stand there and watch the singing, or something. It's better when they hear the music, dance, and then at some point when it no longer matters they realize the vocals are live, and keep dancing. What are people's thoughts/experiences with this? And is it just Influx or do many people really hate vocals in electronic dance music? :=)

Message 35/65                 Date: 19-Mar-02  @  12:23 AM   -   RE: Live techniques?

influx

hehe. I think its just me 

I dont hate em. Just dont like them all that much. Although there is a T-Power track on Long Time Dead that I like a lot. Dont know the name tho.

the other ones SUCK.

my deal is this:

vocals = pre-set ideas/feelings/thoughts being presented, so the listener feels those feelings...its like being told what to do

no vocals (typical electronic stuff) = totally free from preset form; listener is influenced only by the sounds themselves. No thoughts are "introduced" only triggered.

this isn't a very good way to put the way I see it but I thought I would try

and yeah..this is an odd forum for this thread...I think it would get a lot more hits in the tech thread, no?

Message 36/65                 Date: 19-Mar-02  @  03:19 AM   -   RE: Live techniques?

sitarsong

My fs1r does vocals. Kind of a catch 22. What am I doing with that thing???

Message 37/65                 Date: 19-Mar-02  @  06:59 AM   -   RE: Live techniques?

marianimal

Link?:  No link

Actually Influx, that explanation makes a lot of sense.

Message 38/65                 Date: 19-Mar-02  @  08:06 AM   -   RE: Live techniques?

influx

wow. I made sense? arf.

actually..I re-read what I typed and that pretty much sums it up. That's not to say, of course, that I HATE LYRICS. The beauty of lyricism is that the singer/writer/whoever IS expressing for us feelings and thoughts, etc., that we havent been able to express for ourselves (at all or just not as effectively)

so...when our favorite lyricist/writer drops his or her unique take on the human condition, those of us who might not be so gifted can say THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALLOWING ME TO IDENTIFY THESE EMOTIONS and express them through your words!

THIS is the beauty of the lyricist/writer. vicariousness.

I enjoy both of course, but the pure unadulterated FEELING of music without lyrics appeals to me more often lately. I think a lot of it has to do with the absolute FLOOD of the music market in the last say 50 years? Seems like 99% of songs are about LOVE or some other such simplistic nonsense, and I for one am tired of hearing about it 

Rarely anymore do (modern) songs mean much to me, but the pure joy I get from a dope beat or growling bassline or gorgeous arrangement of all the elements is something I can never get enough of.

Message 39/65                 Date: 19-Mar-02  @  09:22 AM   -   RE: Live techniques?

horizens

File?:  [image]

[image file]

i find it interesting that you say that, influx,
becuase i know how much you like to read. is
there a distinction between lyrics and the
literature you like? (besides crappy love
songs) i must say that i agree with you though
about vocals. don't really care for them myself
anymore.

just wanted to open up the conversation.

Message 40/65                 Date: 19-Mar-02  @  09:47 AM   -   RE: Live techniques?

influx

a distinction? You mean...why do I like reading so much but not vocal music?

well...I DO like vocal music...just not so much new stuff. And I don't often read new books, either. I mean..kerouac..again..SPEAKS FOR ME. He puts on paper so many of my thoughts and feelings, almost exactly as I think and feel them! It's a bit alarming sometimes. Uncanny, I guess...

so..if thats what you mean..I dunno.. I mean..a writer certainly tells a story with DIRECTION in mind. he/she sorta controls your reaction in a way, but...I dunno...it SEEMS that less pap gets to print as opposed to all the shit that goes into music. Again, I dont read "pop" books so I dont know. Im sure its quite the same

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 65 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum