0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Creating Beats

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12

Original Message                 Date: 07-Nov-99  @  10:29 AM   -   Creating Beats

karibe

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm wanting to know what do I really need to create some fat beats I have no hardware except for a computer with alot of memory. What all do I need to get started and how much would it cost.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 31/115                 Date: 20-Nov-99  @  01:33 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

dsb

one thing that you hear in alot of tech style jungle records is leaving out a bar of kicks and snares after the drops on the 32 or 64s. ie after the bass breakdown the beats kick in one bar after expected, its become a bit of a standard what with everone following the lead of johny l and optical. the first toon i noticed this on was johny l's "piper"

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 32/115                 Date: 20-Nov-99  @  03:39 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

georgeofdajungle

"Mission control to Delta SL33P, do you read me?...I repeat Mission Control to Delta..."

(long pause)

"Mission Control to Delta do you copy, over."

(longer pause)

Delta: "Ah duh...Dis is dum de dum Delta, what's up?"

Mission Cntrl: "YOU ARE! You're way too high on yourself and you must come down at once!!!!"

Message 33/115                 Date: 20-Nov-99  @  09:07 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

nobody

Link?:  Link

there a Satellite in boston still?

Message 34/115                 Date: 20-Nov-99  @  09:52 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

Link?: Link

Fresh - u didn`t really let on too much about what equipment u have. If they`ve got something in the way of pitch control, then u can learn 2 beatmix; if they aint, then all u can do is drop-mixing using the pause buttons.

As far as tunes go, the darker, ruffer stuff is everywhere right now, check ANYTHING on the Renegade Hardware label, anything by Dom and Roland (especially his remix of Daniel Savines "This Time"), DSCI4 records, anything by Trace (DSCi4 is his label - he lives in Philly now), Ram Records and their sister label Lifting Spirits, No-U-Turn records, Dread Recordings, Metalheads, Protoype - theres so many. Specific tunes 2 look 4 - "Sonar" by Trace, The Armageddon LP sampler, Rymetymes "Payback", The Underfire LP - "Blazin", U should still ba ble 2 find Grooveriders LP - "Mysteries of Funk", Any of the Konflikt tunes on Hardware, Ed Rushes WICKED remix of A-Sides` "Calibre" on Eastside and J Majiks Nightvision LP - not dark, more deep; likewise the nu Ram Album "Molten Beats" (their last LP "Sound in Motion" was a lot darker, the nu ones more in the way of a twisted funk kinda thing), Cybins "Roller" is a hell 4 leather Amen rollout as well (on Emcee Recordings).

Check the Drum and Bass Arenas "Listen" section 4 forthcoming releases and some old classics (Link Above). U can mix with CDs, but really, a lot of stuff only comes out on Vinyl. I dont wanna talk u into spending all that money 4 dex, but if u wanna mix, theres not a great deal else u can do. The only record shop I know of that remotely in your area (and I mean remotely) is Breakbeat Science in NY - they do a mailorder service, but obviously u dont get 2 listen 2 the tunes b4hand.

If yer digital sources do have pitch control - leave a message and I`ll post a little beginners run-through.

Message 35/115                 Date: 20-Nov-99  @  09:57 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

Link?: Link

Doh! Try this one.............

Message 36/115                 Date: 20-Nov-99  @  11:40 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

nobody

Link?:  Link

see Satellite in boston...if they are still there. the one in NY is very good...but yes, breakbeat science is a very good domestic shop. however all people who works at record shops in NY hate people who don't know everything..so in other words they get attitude if you ask them questions...fuckers. best to go look through the bins yourself...whenever i buy records i get them direct from england... www.juno.co.uk

but um...records are very expensive because it's hard to stop buying them all all of them

Message 37/115                 Date: 20-Nov-99  @  12:14 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

Aye, I can` t help meself either. I got hundreds of the fuckers I never play. I even bought "Miles From Home" even though I didn`t really like it - just thought I should, U know. I listened 2 that maybe 1.5 times! I`ve bought some shelving 2 rack all mine up today so I might actually b able 2 records I`m looking 4..............I think I might need more shelves though..............its definately an addiction.........

Message 38/115                 Date: 20-Nov-99  @  05:11 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

I've got 2 hard disk recorders Fostex D-90, DMT8VL, and 128 Megs in my EMU sampler. I have multiple ways to fire samples too. So far I've been pitch shifting and time stretching with the sampler. The Hard disk has pitch control but I havn't had use for it yet. Once it gets on the hard disk it's already stretched and locked to MIDI. Today I've been chopping up tunes by measure and building massive presets of songs that are shifted and stretched into compatible tempos. I've really been having a great time with this. I'm going to print out your music list and keep it with me when I get the new stuff. A beginners run through would do me some good now. Thx.

Message 39/115                 Date: 20-Nov-99  @  08:03 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

OK. I`m not sure how feasible this is, you`ll need some way of gently nudging the pitch so if u cue up slightly out of phase, u can get everything running in time. I`m also assuming your H/D recorders play instantly when u press the "Play" button and that the tunes u have loaded up in them r all at the same tempo otherwise this aint gonna work. I`m guessing u dont have a Dj-style mixer either but u may b able 2 do the same thing on yer desk albeit without the flexibility of an x-fader (not a massive problem; 4 smooth, seamless mixes u should always use the vertical fader anyway).................

Right, get yer 1st tune playing through one of the channels in yer desk (it helps if u have stereo channels, 2 monos will mean u have 2 make all changes 2 both simultaneously) fully EQd with the gain set so u aint jumping into the red with a fader level of 0 (never turn the verts up fully so u always have somewhere 2 go with the volume).

Now prepare the 2nd channel with which you`re gonna bring yer next tune onto - make sure u have the vertical fader(s) turned down fully. This is where I`m not sure its gonna work, see, because u need 2 hear the tune you`re gonna bring in 2 cue it and 2 set the levels without it being played over the monitors - u need 2 listen 2 the tune you`re about 2 bring in in your cans and crossreference with the tune playing 2 set the gain so they r roughly even (dont matter if you`re a little way out, u can always adjust that on the fly) I`ll assume u can work round this so I`ll carry on regardless. Turn each EQ setting down (not too much but further down from where u intend 2 play the tune.

Now u need 2 really know the tunes u r playing 4 this bit `cos u cant look at the groove density of the vinyl 2 c how the tune is structured. As u already know, all jungle is structured in to strict 16/32/64 bar phrases and, as I mentioned b4, at the end of these phrases u`ll usually find some kind of extra movement at the last bar. These r indexes 4 u 2 cue the next record into the mix. U need everyhting setup in a way so that u only hear the tune you`re bringing in in yer cans and not the tune playing - another reason why I`m unsure of this method. Assuming u can do that, wait till one of the phrases ends and, at the very 1st beat of the next bar, simultaneoulsy press play on yer H/D and move the vert up 2 about "10" maybe - this all depends on yer mixer, you`ve probably got a good enough feel 4 it anyway, so basically a setting that gonna b audible in the mix but not overriding whats already playing. Now, listen 2 the tune you`re bringing in; in your cans while referencing this with what coming out of the monitor. If its out of time, adjust the pitch; dont panic, you`ll ALWAYS hear if the tunes out of time in yer cans b4 it becomes noticable. Once you`ve got it in time, you`re laughing, cos unlike Vinyl/CD you wont have 2 adjust the pitch again. U may wanna bring the tune in on the outro of tune 1 2 start with so u dont get any breaks catching u unawares ans mossing yer mix.

Now assuming both tunes r in time, every 8 bars or so, bring tune 2 in a little more - up the tops a little (not too much though - bringing too much treble in will kill yer mix stone-dead); Bring the volume up, mids, bass - u get the picture. Bear in mind 2 always watch the VU meter 2 make sure it dont clip. Untill u have both tunes at equal levels in the mix.

Then, as far as mixing tune 1 out goes, u can do it quickly - just drop the faders at an appropriate time (in phrase with the mix, remember) or u can bring it out slowly - a reversal of mixing it in.

Now, I`d really advise u 2 at least get a cheap DJ mixer `cos I`m not sure the above method will work and u can make the process a whole lot easier by just concentrating on x-fade beat mixing 2 start with, 2 make it a whole lot easier 2 learn. 1 more point if you`re planning on buying vinyl and copying it onto yer h/d - b very carefull, even Technics dex dont have immaculate pitch control, they`re renowned 4 having wobbly pitch around the +/-1 mark and I`ve even taken samples off vinyl at 0% when the quartz control is supposed 2 lico the pitch, but when I get it into the sampler, the pitch is allover the show. Als, if a record has been pressed slightly off centre (a lot of jungle is) or is warped; it will need constant attention in the mix in order 4 it 2 b kept in time.

I`m not sure if I`ve explained all that properly `cos I`ve had 2 guess how it`d b done with H/D recorders and the technique is totally different from vinyl. I would REALLY advise u 2 get a mixer though - I`m pretty sure the above method wont work but u could apply the same principles albeit with more ease with a dj mixer. Any old cheap piece of shit will do - if you`re really on a tight budget, check the ones labelled "scratch mixer" though these often dont have seperate eq or gain on each channel.

If I`ve missed anything or got something wrong please dont anybody write some follow on message slating me - its 1am, I`m slightly drunk, very tired and I`ve just written the above as I went along without much thought...............and now my head hurts...............

Message 40/115                 Date: 20-Nov-99  @  08:10 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

.....2 more things I forgot 2 mention - pay attention to the volume levels of yer monitors and cans, if these r set properly (so u can hear both clearly) it makes learning a whole lot easier (I know how simple that sounds, but its not always something thats immediatley picked up on). And MOST importantly of all, whenever u fuck it up (which u will, even pro Djs do, more regularly than they care 2 admit) remind yourself that is the reason why u r practicing - again I know that sounds stupid, but I found that a massive help....................

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12

There are 115 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum