0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: music as language

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 23-Apr-00  @  04:03 PM   -   music as language

casparproject

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Ok, this is a thread I've been thinkin of starting for a while. The idea is, I've been feeling in the past few months like my music is actually communicating emotion in a way that is much more efficient than speech. Something as simple as a filter sweep at the right time seems to be able to communicate something to people that, well, just can't be expressed in words. Tingles are common, other people just stare at me, especially live, as if I've just said something incredibly intriguing about myself. Is music actually a functional part of human evolution in this respect. Is music our other language?

Peaceout

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 31/44                 Date: 25-May-00  @  12:07 PM   -   RE: music as language

k

yeah... well we live in an UN-subtle world... but these colours DO effect us... they resonate and vibrate.... that is why a walk in the park is relaxing... it's the colours partly, as well as the quiet & lack of traffic noise etc

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 32/44                 Date: 25-May-00  @  03:19 PM   -   RE: music as language

ggehiere

Link?: Link

Soft sounds can be very soothing, but few people
experience ecstasy (relaxed yet energized) from such
environments as parks and hiking trails: ecstasy being
the point of lots of electronic music.

An aside note here: The most pleasing sound to the
human mind is 4.5 decibals of rushing water. Alot of
meditation practitioners focus on the sound of their
breathing to enter the meditative state - the sound we
hear our entire lives. Oddly enough, both of these
sounds, are pretty close to static - sound filled with
random yet somehow always the same frequencies.

So what are you getting at, k, with this colour stuff?
Got any links to the effects of colours on

Message 33/44                 Date: 27-May-00  @  10:21 AM   -   RE: music as language

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but I can see and feel color and texture, and shape in sound as well as hear it. Maybe I've just done too many hallucinagens, but it certainly works for me when trying to create a sonic image.

Ape

Message 34/44                 Date: 06-Jun-00  @  03:41 AM   -   RE: music as language

jj

sorry, I've been in a low earth orbit, checking that 10 hz thing. But I've got a question. So the earths resonant frequency is 10hz, ya, what exactly does that mean? What are those hz describing, are we talking 10hz of a sound frequency? or what exactly, and if we're talking sound, whats the decible level of those hz, ie, amplitude? I wonder? Hey, do you think if you ripped a mondobowl off of the bonger, and stuck your head in the ocean for twenty four hours you could hear the tides sloshing around the globe? I think I'd like to hear that.

But seriously folks, any idea of why the earth's r.f. is 10 hz? And is it exactly 10hz, or does it vary, say 9.5-10.5. Okay, here's a far out one: If you blasted a sound loud enough at 10hz (I'm talking only fantasy again) could we rip the earth apart? Ever seen that bridge in washington state, just newly built, in a storm? The wind through the suspension cables generated a sound at the r.f. of the bridge and that fucker just starts getting loosy goosy, swinging around, and osolations increase, and then no more bridge! I wonder if we could do that with the earth? you think? anyone work for the DOD know about that?

Message 35/44                 Date: 06-Jun-00  @  02:04 PM   -   RE: music as language

ggehiere

Well, jj, I don't think you're taking this seriously.
The 10hz tone of the earth is not audible, maybe not
even audible to anything alive, because it's so low (in
freq. and amplitude). We don't notice it anyways...

It can be measured, and alot of gear used for measuring
ultra-low frequencies has to be dampened or adjusted
for 'background noise' such as the earth's 10hz and
other deformned radio and sound waves.

It probably doesn't vary alot. Any astrophysicists
among us? If it does vary, it would be with our
proximity to the sun, likely - which, oddly enough,
moves in whole fractions. I don't think there's a
quantum theory of gravity yet, so this discussion
dosn't have much to draw on...

For instance, at the earth's furthest point from the
sun being 1, our closest point is exactly 2/3. Plot
that on a musical scale with C being 1, 2/3 of C is G -
perfect harmony. All the planets move in whole
fractions...

Pythagorus based his musical scale on the scaffold of
the planets... he was almost right too - except they
don't travel in perfect circles, they travel in perfect
ellipses.

Anyone find any info on frequency combining and 'nodal'
waves, yet? I haven't found anything in my web travels
yet..

Message 36/44                 Date: 07-Jun-00  @  06:22 PM   -   RE: music as language

Pongoid

Faucault's Pendulum may be able to render assistance here.

Ape

Message 37/44                 Date: 08-Jun-00  @  08:15 AM   -   RE: music as language

ggehiere

Heya, Pongoid. What's Faucault's Pendulum? My search
engine draws a blank

Message 38/44                 Date: 09-Jun-00  @  12:24 AM   -   RE: music as language

arska

try foucault instead... a kind of device that proves that earth goes round and round, iirc

Message 39/44                 Date: 11-Jun-00  @  09:23 AM   -   RE: music as language

sitar

This is a great thread. I'm totally interested. there are tunes that do something to me and bring me into another state, and yet the person next to me might not be getting anything out of it and visa versa. That always puzzles me. So as individuals we probably develop different inner filters.

I had an experience in my 1st year of studying sitar. I was in my friends house in the countryside playing something I had learned. I talked him into playing the tamboura (a 4-6 stringed instrument, the sole purpose of which is to create a carpet of sound over which to play...like the original pad I guess). It was night and as I was playing I started to hear this beautiful soothing and very powerful sound crescendo, completely in tune with the instruments. Strangley it sounded at first like it was coming from a star I could see through the livingroom window, but then it was omnipresent...coming from everything around me. It lasted for a minute or so I think as I kept playing. It faded and I played for another minute or 2. I remember saying to my friend "WOOOOW! DID_YOU_HEAR_THAT?!!! He answered "Hear what?" and I didn't extropolate on it 'cause it was too big to be missed if you were going to hear anything. Strange why I heard it and someone sitting 3 feet across from me didn't. I wasn't high on anything btw.

Message 40/44                 Date: 11-Jun-00  @  03:38 PM   -   RE: music as language

casparproject

I've had experiences like that. They can be very scary sometimes too. I was playing in the orchestra at my school and something triggered what seemed like a ring in my ears, but it was very very loud. My doctor said it was probably something to do with the scar tissue in my ears from when I had these horrible ear infections as a baby and resonant frequencies of instruments in the orchestra. i didn't believe him, and I'm still not sure I do, but that might be what happened with you.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 44 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum