0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: punchy kick drums

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 29-Nov-00  @  03:16 PM   -   punchy kick drums

bassbrap

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

how do i make my kick drums sound better? i have been trying everything: eq, hp filter, compression, adding transient waves in tune with the bassline.... no matter how hard i try, my kicks sound all muddy in the mix, i cannot get that good "thud", nor can i get the kick to blend well with the bass. i usually use 909 samples or other 909-type kicks running out of my ASR-10.

thanks

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 31/59                 Date: 11-Dec-00  @  03:58 AM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

influx

Link?:  Link

and loading from floppies. ewww

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 32/59                 Date: 13-Dec-00  @  08:28 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

k

didnt you get into the superb pads & strings & sawtooth sweeps etc etc too ?? - takes about 30 seconds to load a full disk of presets

Message 33/59                 Date: 14-Dec-00  @  08:25 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

influx

30 seconds is way too long in my world 

when I had mine I got some pretty damn cool sounds out of it. solid basses, swooshy sounds, etc...

but I still like my E4 

Message 34/59                 Date: 14-Dec-00  @  09:21 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

k

oh you got an e-4!... ok , but the emax especially the rack is a hidden jewel as an 8 out 12 bit drum (and other sounds) player... they are soo rediculously cheap now they piss on any 8 out drum box you can name, with full synthesis of each drum, analog res' filters, and very hi quality converters... and THAT 12 bit sound you cannot get anywhere else but from e-mu 12 bit machines - old 12 bit akai's whilst great are more metallic sounding whereas e-mu 12 bit drums can literaly rip out your speakers with that characteristic thumping 12 bit sound.. it's one of the few drawbacks to a s/w only mix i reckon cos internal pc 12 bit just isnt the same at all... you could wire an emax rack into a pc rack tho !! :-)

Message 35/59                 Date: 15-Dec-00  @  11:17 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

influx

yeah..its funny cuz when I had mine..the KB version...3 years ago I got it for $200 and that was a hell of a deal I think.

see the racks for that now. If I ever have the kind of studio that allows for "icing" Ill get one of those im sure. I liked it. very easy to use, and it sure does sound, well, warm.

too bad ASR10s are still a grand cuz they sound nice too.

but nothin beats an emax for $300 or so...8 outs..thats a hell of a feature...considered an OPTION on pretty much any other piece, no?

Message 36/59                 Date: 16-Dec-00  @  12:07 AM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

bricks

ASR10s aren't always a grand, i bought mine 2 years ago for $800 maxed out, and i have seen 'em as low as $500-600. you just gotta keep your eyes peeled. what about the Ensoniq EPS? similar in spec as the emax (13 bit, yes, i shit you not, 13 bit) and you can find 'em for $300.

y'alls making me want to buy an old emax though  

peace

Message 37/59                 Date: 16-Dec-00  @  08:02 AM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

influx

I dont need a sampler  If for some reason I ever felt the need to be..uh..NOT minimal...whatever taht means...id get a couple more pieces of gear to just make noize with.

an emax might be one of em.

Message 38/59                 Date: 18-Dec-00  @  03:15 AM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

k

well, the thing about emax is this.. like influx said 200 is peanuts... they were 3 thousand on release !!! - it's a VERY hight quality instrument with a fat warm analog filter/12 bit sound

it has 8 seperate outs that can act as drum outs (they are monophonic, but are two voices per key!)

you can have an 8in rack and route it into a mix in vst etc for mixdown and the stereo out on it they utilises pan fx etc for the pads, strings, organs, etcetc, the library is huge and the sounds are VERY good and unique. it does do analog sweep filter synth sounds, square & saw waves etc, pizz strings to die for NOTHING comes close to emax strings i dont thing for the same midrange sound that real strings have both as ensembles and as solo instruments.. the filters, samples themselves, and the filters all combine to make the most amazing upfront 'woody' sounding strings of all types, brass again has a metallic qauality the is so upfront and with the horn hits and theings and the roting optionsd for control you ca make realistic brass on it... pads are great, 200 bucks! -

so when you want to use it for stereo sounds, just plug it in stereo to the pc rack, compose & record the audio... those tama snares were done on an emax (front page news column) check out the sound in sc-drums, lm4 or lm9 etc... its a sound

Message 39/59                 Date: 18-Dec-00  @  05:01 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

nobody

so uh.. someone find me one ;)

all this talk makes me drool. i'd sell my airbase & have cash left over! hmm.... all i'd have to do is find one it really good shape, sample about 1200 sounds from airbase & find someone to buy it. well maybe not. damn you! you have made me want! not like i really need. you see? grrr. smack self in head with plastic bottle & fume. hi.

Message 40/59                 Date: 18-Dec-00  @  05:06 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

r-tek

just make sure you get a good un mr alien and you`ll be in crispy crunchy big and bouncy meaty beaty heaven.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 59 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum