0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: That Mysterious Professional Sound

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 22-Aug-00  @  07:00 PM   -   That Mysterious Professional Sound

azazello

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I am experimenting with making some drum & bass. I made some good standard loops, have good sounds, and I think, "Hey, this is pretty good." Then I listen to some tunes, such as anything by Ed Rush & Optical, DJ Trace, Nico, etc., and discover that my music sounds completely unprofessional! What gives it that "professional" sound? I realize that all songs are pretty unique, but they all have a polished sound in common. Is there anything specific I should be doing in the final mixdown or mastering phase? Any and all tips will be helpful.
Thanks!
Azazello

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 31/43                 Date: 12-Sep-00  @  05:03 PM   -   RE: That Mysterious Professional Sound

bobbins

has anyone got an idea of what the best audio editor + plugins for mastering with are, and whether it is possible to get comparable sound when mastering tottaly in software ? (im skint and cant afford hardware)

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 32/43                 Date: 12-Sep-00  @  07:32 PM   -   RE: That Mysterious Professional Sound

damballah

Link?:  Link

as far as published prices, I think mags generally quote the manufacturer's suggested list price instead of the street price. keeps them out of shit with manufacturers and retailers. many pieces of gear have outrageous markup built into the MSP, though, and have never sold a single unit anywhere close to that.

the ideal setup? all behringer!?! I kinda doubt it.

Message 33/43                 Date: 19-Sep-00  @  08:07 AM   -   RE: That Mysterious Professional Sound

formant

if you are on pc, grab soundforge + waves plugins or if not just grab wavelab or whatever and waves plugins.

later
jamey

Message 34/43                 Date: 19-Sep-00  @  04:06 PM   -   RE: That Mysterious Professional Sound

dow jones

Can you achieve good mastering results using a pc with proffessional plugins and one of the "ordinary" soundcards (sb live! etc) or is the sound quality in these cards to bad to monitor the results of the various mastering processes even if the mix that is to be mastered has a perfect sound quality? And one more thing; what is the best way to record a mix through the analog out of my mixer and then store it digitally?

/thanks in advance

Message 35/43                 Date: 05-Oct-00  @  05:21 AM   -   RE: That Mysterious Professional Sound

H

I know this is an old thread but since I
own a Finalizer96k and TC works Spark
1.5 software which are the very best for
home mastering.You need high end
monitors not super high end I use fostex
ps3 system and it sounds great but put
it in a small system like a ghetto
blaster w/o much bass and it still
sucks.I'm deciding between Hafler
TRM-8,KRK V8,or HHB monitors has anyone
had any experience w/ these monitors?I
know mastering w/ a sub sucks because a
system w/o a sub sounds
tinny................

Message 36/43                 Date: 05-Oct-00  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: That Mysterious Professional Sound

formant

H, as long as you check it in multiple systems you should be fine. you can use just about any studio monitors, just keep a/bing stuff you like against the track you are trying to monitor.

most likely the room you are in doesn't have perfect acoustics anyway so just understand how they sounds.

i just upgraded from the alesis monitor ones to the new alesis M1s and they are tons better in the mid range than my monitor ones were. but i still check my mastering on a boom box and in my car to be sure.

hope this helps

jamey

Message 37/43                 Date: 06-Oct-00  @  04:58 AM   -   RE: That Mysterious Professional Sound

H

i checked it in my car and it sounded
good,at the big studio through several
different monitors and it sounded good
but I put it in a boom box and bam
complete treble.Ispent so much on high
end gear I forgot to budget for speakers
and ended up w/ these.I'm sorry I went
off on you but I had a really messed up
experience when I was small and I listen
to my mom talk about jesus all the time
while she chain smokes drinks and pops
pills.I'm just tired of seeing all the
static that religion causes and it just
hits me below the
belt....................................

Message 38/43                 Date: 06-Oct-00  @  05:56 AM   -   RE: That Mysterious Professional Sound

damballah

It's nice to have some crap speakers to check stuff on -- Auratone cubes, little radio shack ones, buy a cheap pair of car speakers and build a plywood box for them -- and an a/b speaker switch. Definately, check your mix numerous places and at different times. Sleeping on it before checking it in the car can be revealing.

Message 39/43                 Date: 06-Oct-00  @  07:29 AM   -   RE: That Mysterious Professional Sound

H

What's your take on mixing w/ a
sub??????????

Message 40/43                 Date: 06-Oct-00  @  01:55 PM   -   RE: That Mysterious Professional Sound

formant

heh heh, my take on subs is i don't really hear them till i get in my jetta.... rockin stock stereo!

anyway, i always mix too bass heavy so i try and overcompensate by cutting a lot of bass... normally to see if i got it right i get in the corner of my room and if you close your eyes it sounds just like a club (well maybe). the bass tends to accumulate in the corners for some reason.

as for mixing with a proper sub monitor, i used the event dealie with the separate mid/tops and then the sub for the lows.

couldn't stand it.

all the bass was coming from below me and the mids and highs from the normal spot. drove me crazy.

i am lucky enough to get to play my stuff in a club when i actually finish a track (doesn't happen that often) and it always matches up with however it sounded in my car. (except the car sounds a bit better :-)

jamey

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 43 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum