0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Why are there no single-hit CDs?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 12-Jan-04  @  04:17 PM   -   Why are there no single-hit CDs?

craig

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

How come all I can ever find when I go hunting for sample CDs is acid loops?!? I can never find any decent single-hit drum CDs. All I want are a bunch of different kits, in Akai format, ready to go. That's it.

So, does anybody have any suggestions for real drums? I need rock kits, I'm totally covered on electronic drums. No loops, but I guess they'd be OK if they came on the CDs with the regular kits   I prefer Akai format, but also Emu will work, or I could deal with .wav and build my own program I guess, but I'd prefer Akai or Emu.

I'm also looking for a CD of pads and orchestral instruments. The key with the orchestral instruments is that I don't want to spend a ton of money on a big orchestra set, but I also don't want the samples to sound like doo doo either.

Any suggestions?!?

-Craig

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 31/39                 Date: 28-Jan-04  @  11:25 PM   -   RE: Why are there no single-hit CDs?

j-type

there are 10 bits in a MIDI byte though

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 32/39                 Date: 29-Jan-04  @  12:09 AM   -   RE: Why are there no single-hit CDs?

queasy00

yea, one stop, one start bit.

-j

Message 33/39                 Date: 29-Jan-04  @  12:33 AM   -   RE: Why are there no single-hit CDs?

milan

Link?: Link

ah thanks! i was holding back for not remembering what they were called!

i guess i forgot my midi 1.01 with time... *sigh*

Message 34/39                 Date: 29-Jan-04  @  02:27 PM   -   RE: Why are there no single-hit CDs?

craig

I make no claim to be an expert on MIDI. But, according to the MIDI spec, bytes are 8 bits long, and practically speaking, most note-on messages consist of only 2- not three - bytes.

At http://www.ibiblio.org/emusic-l/info-docs-FAQs/MIDI-doc/MIDI-Primer.txt there's an example of the trailing edges of a the first and last notes of a six-note chord being 3.2ms apart - meaning effective latency for a pair of notes under 1ms.

Regardless, it's academic. My setup is tight enough for me, and many other pro and not so pro musicians agree with me. If it was so entirely unusable the people who make synths would've adopted something else by now.

Message 35/39                 Date: 29-Jan-04  @  04:45 PM   -   RE: Why are there no single-hit CDs?

Deano

Link?:  No link

Yes a byte consists of 8 bits of data but two extra bits are transmitted so that the receiver knows where the data starts and stops. You are right that note on messages can be 2 bytes long. The first byte is the status which defines which midi channel the note is on. If this is the same as the previous note then the status byte is not transmitted. So a six note chord all on the same channel would be 12 bytes long (about 3.5ms). I'm guessing, but I would think that a sequencer would send any simultaneous note on messages in blocks for each channel to minimise the amount of data being sent.

Message 36/39                 Date: 30-Jan-04  @  01:34 PM   -   RE: Why are there no single-hit CDs?

craig

Regardless, 3.5ms is less than the amount of time it takes for the trumpets to hit the clarinets in a typical large orchestra, and nobody complains that the orchestra has sloppy timing...

Message 37/39                 Date: 30-Jan-04  @  02:18 PM   -   RE: Why are there no single-hit CDs?

beds

and like when a guitarist stand 6 foot away from his amp on stage. speed of sound, what's that 1 foot = 1ms? some sort of ballpark figure innit.

Message 38/39                 Date: 30-Jan-04  @  06:50 PM   -   RE: Why are there no single-hit CDs?

craig

Just about.. It's like 1100-some feet per second.. Google for it - I did when I got that orchestra number.

Anyways, I've been realizing a lot that people get way too caught up in the numbers these days. Just make music, eh?

-Craig

Message 39/39                 Date: 30-Jan-04  @  11:40 PM   -   RE: Why are there no single-hit CDs?

Pongoid

1130fps, at sea level. this changes with different barometric conditions, humidity, temperature, all kinds of that stuff. milliseconds, make a difference to some people, especially in recording types, but live...yeah I suppose I do like my drums pretty tight, but they don't need to be perfect. My timing on my sequencer mutes, my key chops, and my bass are not that spectacular either. Fuck it. I don't care. I'm playing the shit, not just hitting start and stop. The stuff feels like it does because if imperfections. Like it or lump it, just get over it, and make music.

At home I use the MTPAV too, and with Logic it does time quite nicely.

Ape

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 39 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum