0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Deejay & deejay kit

Subject: Horrible Newbie Questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 11-Sep-02  @  07:37 AM   -   Horrible Newbie Questions

Mr. Seasme

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hyia!

I'm a horrible newbie, and I have questions.
I'm a long time electronic music fan, and ever since I went to my first rave, I have been very interested in mixing some of my own tracks. My problem was that I didn't know where to start. I kind of kicked the idea around for a while, and eventually grabbed "Techno Ejay" from a software store and installed it. The Ejay program is a lot of fun, but I can shake the feeling that assembling pre-recorded samples is a bit lame. I've put together a few songs, but I would really like to get out there and start making some real music. So, the horrible questions are:
What software should I use? (I saw a program with a well known Dj, who was assembling his songs with a computer)
Whenever I see Djs at a rave, they seem to have some hardware (turntables and such) up on stage with them. Do I need to buy a bunch of equipment to get out of the basement and record some decent stuff?
And if the above is true, what sort of things do I buy? I'm sure like everything else, certain kinds of equipment are better than others. Also, I work a low paying job, so I can't blow $1000 on speakers or something.

Well, thanks for reading and possibly responding!
Yours,
Mr. Seasme
"Is that a gun in your violin case, or are you just happy to see me?"

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 31/34                 Date: 15-Sep-02  @  10:36 PM   -   RE: Horrible Newbie Questions

influx

Link?: Link

got a little cash?

Virus KB $1000

yammy RM1x $450

Yammy A4000 or say Emu E5000 ultra $600-$700

mackie 1604vlz $500

of course youll need some speakers and some FX but the yamaha FX are pretty damn good and the virus sounds good on its own..

this is actually more than you would really need but this setup would keep you going for a LONG time

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 32/34                 Date: 15-Sep-02  @  10:38 PM   -   RE: Horrible Newbie Questions

influx

got a little cash?

Virus KB $1000

yammy RM1x $450

Yammy A4000 or say Emu E5000 ultra $600-$700

mackie 1604vlz $500

of course youll need some speakers and some FX but the yamaha FX are pretty damn good and the virus sounds good on its own..

this is actually more than you would really need but this setup would keep you going for a LONG time

Message 33/34                 Date: 15-Sep-02  @  11:06 PM     Edit: 15-Sep-02  |  11:07 PM   -   RE: Horrible Newbie Questions

milan

or if you´re on a smaller budget: fast PC, s/w sequncer (logic/cubase/sonar), s/w sampler (exs24/halion/kontakt), multi i/o card, and one good external synth.

that will give you sampling, synthesis, and -tight- midi timing, plus better fx than with one or two budget h/w units.

i guess what influx suggested is better for live stuff, but with sw/hw combo you can get into better production. of course, if you´re only starting out, then you might not wanna get caught up in matters of eq/compression/etc right from beginning.

Message 34/34                 Date: 10-Oct-02  @  04:07 PM   -   RE: Horrible Newbie Questions

Paleface

Link?:  No link

One thing no-one's said yet (or not in these words):

TRY STUFF OUT.

IE: Download the demos. That'll let you see what software's like, you can buy the full version if it's good. Also: go to your local pro-music store, if you have one. Ask to try stuff out. It took me a while to realise what I really wanted was a hardware sequencer, and it took me forty-five minutes of fiddling with an RM1x before I realised a) I really NEEDED it and b) we were going to get on VERY well. Don't buy stuff blind - you'd never buy a car without test driving it, would you?

My suggest of a hardware beginner set up would be (all secondhand): Rm1x, S2000, A-Station, TC m300, 12-2 mixer of some form, and some keys. If you're really canny, in the UK, you could get that lot for not much more than £1000 s/h. Hell, it's almost what I have. And I'm still torn between the obvious hardware-synth thing, or just getting Reason.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 34 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum