0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Footie korner

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 30

Original Message                 Date: 17-Oct-01  @  06:58 PM   -   Footie korner

k

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

well well... so.. west ham  ... thought we'd have a footie thread for adding the odd inane comments about superb performances & the like. heh heh...

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 211/300                 Date: 17-Nov-05  @  11:24 AM   -   RE: Footie korner

monkeybasket2001

thing is england have a a huge number of very succesfull football promotion community programs which encourage the young to get into the game, as a result we seem to nurture more talent and therefore have much better players than scotland, wales and ireland...if those countries were as football mad and had those programs in place i dont doubt it wouldn't be the same...

but having a GB team is still representing england and i think it would be a compromise to involve less skilled players just because they needed quotas from each country...

i think in terms of athletics they are as good (and better in certain arenas) and therefore do deserve to be part of a GB team, they have the programs in place to nurture talent-

although id still be happy having an English team and not winning the hurdles...apart from the whole culture ive mentioned do they really expect us to want to play with them when they would rather support any opposing side we play in any international football match? not just us living in the jingoistic 1600's

greg

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 212/300                 Date: 17-Nov-05  @  11:50 AM   -   RE: Footie korner

steve

Link?: Link

tbh i think it's got more to do with those countries being much smaller population wise than england. football's not even the welsh national sport.

england's youth development initiative's been an abject failure so far - club's are having to spend a fortune in order to keep their FA Academy status with no better results than they were getting before. we're producing more pro's through our tupenny hapenny centre of excellence taking on the youngsters the london clubs don't want than most premiership clubs are managing. there are a few exceptions though like southampton and tranmere.

Message 213/300                 Date: 17-Nov-05  @  01:02 PM   -   RE: Footie korner

monkeybasket2001

Exactly- the welsh favouring rugby tend to promote that more in school and in community projects....

its still producing more young talent then any other british country so think if they followed that 'initiative' they would probably have more young talent....i think the potential is exactly the same but without structures in place it wouldn't come into fruition- whether they see our academies as failures or not they cant deny that thats where our talent (international level) is usually found.

greg

Message 214/300                 Date: 17-Nov-05  @  02:51 PM   -   RE: Footie korner

steve

true, but looking at the class of '90 which was when english football took an upturn in terms of popularity:

gazza
hoddle
robson
waddle
lineker
shilton
beardsley
barnes

have we honestly got any better? i reckon the first two alone had more elegance and poise than the current lot put together.

the academy system's just financial apartheid anyway, there's any number of teams running the old centre of excellence format that would fare better in the academy league than bristol city, who lose every game without fail and finish bottom every year. and they lose 1 million a season on their academy alone

i blame howard wilkinson.

Message 215/300                 Date: 17-Nov-05  @  04:25 PM   -   RE: Footie korner

monkeybasket2001

all good points, i dont think we have neccearily have got better it just seems in the context of the other british teams we have a whole team of good players wheras they would have far far fewer- i just couldn't think of anything else that could account for it....

greg

Message 216/300                 Date: 18-Nov-05  @  11:30 AM   -   RE: Footie korner

steve

no doubt. i just have a bee in my bonnet about the academy system. you may have noticed that

Message 217/300                 Date: 18-Nov-05  @  11:38 AM   -   RE: Footie korner

monkeybasket2001

It seems you know far more about it than me, i knew it was flawed but was under the impression it was this (as well as the countries' obssession) that contributed to our young talent- and the slew of it....

its interesting to know this-

greg

Message 218/300                 Date: 25-Nov-05  @  05:50 PM   -   RE: Footie korner

beds

newspaper stands in town today .. "george best dead"

aye, the media frenzy was going on for too long already.

Message 219/300                 Date: 25-Nov-05  @  06:43 PM   -   RE: Footie korner

k

Link?:  Link

i nearly ran him over a few years back... he lives just down the road and this is his London manor where i live. Anyways i'd been out shopping or something, took a quick left at chelsea fire station and he stumbles out from between some parked cars and I slam on the breaks, and there's Bestie, wide eyed staring into me windscreen.... he stumbles off and i carry on home. Should have offered him a lift really i spose

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 220/300                 Date: 29-Nov-05  @  08:56 AM   -   RE: Footie korner

Zazza

Bye bye georgie.. *sniff*

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 30

There are 300 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum