0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: want to program?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 26-Mar-03  @  05:32 PM   -   want to program?

xoxos

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

trying to learn c++ with no money was a total pain in the ass.. after all this time i finally found a language that's free, has decent power (can create exportable .exes.. want one??) and is well documented (after giving up several years ago back when the old people saying 'qbasic is in dos' still thought it was.)

i don't believe it codes .dlls (for vsti) directly but it handles a lot of other things, ie. com ports. i wouldn't expect the performance of c++ but if you've ever wanted to build your own midi sequencer, audio arranger and are as abhorrent of finance as i, here you go.

already written my own 'wordpad' app after about 5 hours! successfully opened, created, edited files!

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/45                 Date: 29-Mar-03  @  08:42 AM   -   RE: want to program?

cheddar

Link?: Link

erm not the whole thing just choreography group

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/45                 Date: 29-Mar-03  @  01:32 PM   -   RE: want to program?

Zazza

Link?:  No link

ok, yah, web services.. wel MS will want to make them proprietary .. politics.. usual crap..

MS, you gotta love 'em

Message 23/45                 Date: 01-Apr-03  @  10:48 PM   -   RE: want to program?

99devils

Web services.. Cold Fusion MX = fucking heaven for building web services...

I'd suggest Java if you want to learn a real-deal language that might actually be useful to you later on. There's lots of good suggestions for "learner" languages that have been mentioned above, I'd add Eiffel, but they're useless in the real world.

The JDK is free from Sun and includes a compiler. Java also has one of the most active online communities around, so lots of people can help you out.

-Craig

Message 24/45                 Date: 01-Apr-03  @  11:05 PM   -   RE: want to program?

swanofnever

hi,
i really don't know about java; the thing is, for a newbie, it seems a bit "heavyweight"; not much different from c++ (i.e both langs are equally complex).

like.. it's going to be hard to see the fundamental concepts involved in programming. again.. i REALLY must stress how clean and simple actionscript is. yes, it's not really much of a language, but it is DEFINITELY the best "learn the concepts" language i've used.

like.. if i show non-coder friends some source, they usually understand most of what's going on. which i doubt could be said for java.

also, there are like 3-4 different openGL-for-java libs, and NONE of them are any good!

but i definitely agree that it would be a good choice for learning how to "really" program once you get the basics.

aaaanyway..
raigan

Message 25/45                 Date: 02-Apr-03  @  10:45 PM   -   RE: want to program?

xoxos

this stuff works, really...

i've just created an app for batch processing renaming duties.. you know, when you have a sample library with some stupid naming designation or a load of mp3s with !!s or Layer3 in their name, you run them through this and get them all tidy.. or when your prog only uses so many characters of the name.. et c.

i've looked for something like this a few times before (not for a while tho :p) but now the bastard's built. have to put in a few different name formatting options and perhaps add a script function ie. to automatically deal with !!s scenario or ?? suggestions?

freeware 1 motherfuckers 0

Message 26/45                 Date: 03-Apr-03  @  07:29 AM   -   RE: want to program?

cheddar

Link?:  Link

I am also amazed free pdf writer exists. pdf995

Message 27/45                 Date: 04-Apr-03  @  12:16 AM   -   RE: want to program?

xoxos

well rename's been done since i last searched a year or so ago. i was always shocked no one else seemed to think it useful.

Message 28/45                 Date: 04-Apr-03  @  04:29 PM   -   RE: want to program?

swanofnever

doesn't soundforge do that? at least.. i'm pretty sure i managed all my renaming crap via .bat files and/or whatever editor i was using..

i'll check that thing out though, for sure.. once i manage to find some time....

raigan

Message 29/45                 Date: 07-Apr-03  @  04:52 PM   -   RE: want to program?

99devils

I have to disagree about ActionScript swanofnever.. That language is way too easy to pick up bad habits in, and the paradigm of programming Flash doesn't translate to any other paradigm I know of. I wouldn't do it as a first language, definately not as a learning exercise. It's great if you're only going to program in Flash though   FYI - ActionScript is ECMA script which is for most intents and purposes JavaScript. These are scripting languages and not full blown programming languages.

See, the thing is learning how to program PROPERLY is ery different from learning how to program. Sure you can hang yourself in Java   You can hang yourself in anything!

-Craig

Message 30/45                 Date: 07-Apr-03  @  05:17 PM   -   RE: want to program?

nobody

I fucking hate Flash animation. It's just plain annoying, in every single instance I've ever been subjected to. Fuck you macromedia, fuck you Flash enthusiasts if there are such a thing. Pre-emptive fuck you to them. There.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 45 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum