0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: everyones doing it!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 30-Nov-02  @  01:18 PM     Edit: 30-Nov-02  |  01:20 PM   -   everyones doing it!!!

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but I am starting to get very annoyed with all of the software piracy that is going on. Yesterday at my university, two of my lecturers were talking about where to find cracks for this and that, and I'm thinking, am I an idiot for paying??? I don't know if it is jealousy or what, but I have paid thousands, THOUSANDS!, for software (again, am I an idiot?), leaving me broke alot of the time, while so many people are just stealing and still have money to go out to clubs and have fun, and it really pisses me off to hear of people doing this.

This is part of the reason that Emagic moved to Apple, and badly affected users such as myself who have paid ALOT of money for this stuff. Don't get me wrong, I have no major moral hangups about it, but what happened to supporting those who provide you with the products that you use? I actually feel quite screwed over!

I'm sorry if it sounds like I am winging, I don't mean to. Any input from other paying users would be appreciated.

Regards.

Steve.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/49                 Date: 01-Dec-02  @  11:03 PM   -   RE: everyones doing it!!!

psylichon

Link?: Link

whatever guys.

like a lot of what I say, it's just philosophical fancy. Obviously it doesn't work in our given situation with money and the market and such, but don't dump on a nice money-free-world idea just because it's not 'realistic.'

and yeah, I'm lazy, but I'm honest about it. And the "software should be free" 'thing' isn't dead because I'm still feeling it so what do you think about that?   And I'm not entirely convinced that I should make money from the music I create, either.

'wooie, that psy guy is one fruitball dreamer, I tell ya. he'll get lost to the world soon enough.'

psy

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/49                 Date: 01-Dec-02  @  11:22 PM   -   RE: everyones doing it!!!

influx

Link?:  Link

and here I was thinking I was completely idealistic to the point of fooling myself

Message 23/49                 Date: 02-Dec-02  @  12:46 AM   -   RE: everyones doing it!!!

Mindspawn

I'm with you psylichon, least to a degree. Music is free... There's just a lot of greedy fucks that like to make money off it cos, in our current world, they can. I don't think it's utopian to think this music should be free. Same for software/information. It IS free, some smart fucks just figured out how to get people to pay for it.

That's waaaay oversimplifying things, for certain. Ne'ertheless, because I still continue to live within a society, I obey it's "codes" like paying for s/w.... When it gets to the point that I get "punished" for being a legal user as opposed to using a crack, well, that just shows ya where things have gotten to, eh?

Nor am I saying you shouldn't get paid for your work, whether it be as a muso or a progger. But for fuck's sake, charge what it's worth, not simply whatever you can get. Is a Sasha set worth the 30 grand that he gets paid? Not to me. Am I willing to pay for the manufacturing costs of a CD and a bit of royalty to the artist? Sure, but the manufacturing cost of a any big run CD is less than $1.00, so in my way of thinking, the whole cost of a CD SHOULD be under $10.00. When I pirate a copy I'm just evening the score in my own little way, getting back some of what is basically stolen from me when I buy a CD for $17.99.

Unfortunately, there's now a whole generation of people who are brainwashed into thinking such prices are normal and fair....

I for one, welcome our new Insect Overlords....

Message 24/49                 Date: 02-Dec-02  @  12:55 AM     Edit: 02-Dec-02  |  02:27 AM   -   RE: everyones doing it!!!

xoxos

i'll rephrase that...

ideals without practice are (yes, are) far kinder than practice without ideals.

Message 25/49                 Date: 02-Dec-02  @  02:31 AM     Edit: 02-Dec-02  |  02:33 AM   -   RE: everyones doing it!!!

xoxos

..you don't need to know.

Message 26/49                 Date: 02-Dec-02  @  04:03 AM   -   RE: everyones doing it!!!

psylichon

i saw it  

psy

Message 27/49                 Date: 02-Dec-02  @  01:29 PM   -   RE: everyones doing it!!!

BJT

Link?:  No link

Its not all bad, you get support and cheap upgrades. But best of all, if you fork out serious money for something, you do tend to use it and try to get your worth out of it! And the fact that you have payed for all your software is proof of your commitment. Power2u.

Message 28/49                 Date: 02-Dec-02  @  02:25 PM   -   RE: everyones doing it!!!

milan

yeah, i was just thinking about it earlier on today. people who pay for the programs appreciate them much more and tend to get deeper into them to exploit their full power (or get their moneys worth, take your pick). probably because that power was earned, not given.

Message 29/49                 Date: 02-Dec-02  @  09:06 PM   -   RE: everyones doing it!!!

xoxos

i love work ethic.. freedom was not meant for the obedient.

maybe that explains our relative exploitation of synthedit..

Message 30/49                 Date: 02-Dec-02  @  11:26 PM   -   RE: everyones doing it!!!

influx

Link?:  Link

cant say I agree with the "paid for = appreciated" thing...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 49 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum