0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Would YOU sell a track to POP?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Original Message                 Date: 02-Oct-02  @  08:39 PM   -   Would YOU sell a track to POP?

errata

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

So I'm doin' little today, and thought I'd stir the pot!

Screw politics, religion and other coffee house banter... Here's one to really get your feet muddy.

Would you sell a track to Britney, Christina N'Sync et al... ???

Come on kids, fess up. $50,000 for a 5 minute fluff number filled with "Philly Hits" and one note bass lines...

e

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/73                 Date: 03-Oct-02  @  07:38 AM   -   RE: Would YOU sell a track to POP?

w

sure, support the major labels more why doncha :O cause them fuuckers are going to pay YOU loads , right?

shit on that idea i say. Support you local indies peeps.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/73                 Date: 03-Oct-02  @  08:10 AM   -   RE: Would YOU sell a track to POP?

bedwyr

Link?: Link

Slight misunderstanding there "w" "cause" it's not record companies that pay writers money it's the public buying records. In the uk it's the PRS that collects royalties, not the records companies. I don't think that record labels give writers a big fat cheque for writing a song, it's always the possibility of royalties that's the payment. If it doesn't sell, they don't get payed.

Songwriters don't sign to a label and churn out tracks for a wage, popstars might.

You have a problem with major labels? Would you write a song for George Michael? What if Prince wanted to cover one of your songs? (if you don't see the relevance of those two, then go read)

Yes, major record labels have killed music, but that means you shouldn't write songs for popstars?

Message 23/73                 Date: 03-Oct-02  @  09:13 AM   -   RE: Would YOU sell a track to POP?

Zazza

I have a price.. at least for writing a stupid song for britney...

I'm a teenage mutant pop whore,
Come on grandad, one more time...

heh 

Message 24/73                 Date: 03-Oct-02  @  09:45 AM   -   RE: Would YOU sell a track to POP?

bedwyr

it doesn't rhyme ... come on grandad, want some mo-ore?

Message 25/73                 Date: 03-Oct-02  @  11:10 AM   -   RE: Would YOU sell a track to POP?

k

Link?:  Link

yes, definately - think of the money and what you can do with it.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 26/73                 Date: 03-Oct-02  @  04:11 PM   -   RE: Would YOU sell a track to POP?

99devils

Hell yes I'd sell her a song. Would I spend any money buying that crap?!? Hell no  

There's your difference Influx. Why shouldn't you take the labels' money? They've taken enough of our in the past. If you ain't buying, you ain't supporting. But I'll be damned if I wouldn't take money from the sheep!!

Message 27/73                 Date: 03-Oct-02  @  04:31 PM   -   RE: Would YOU sell a track to POP?

proximus

I'm not sure if I would have done it.. it really depends. If I personally like their stuff I would have done without a doubt. That's for sure, but I'm honestly not sure if I would have done it only for the money and the fame.

Message 28/73                 Date: 03-Oct-02  @  04:45 PM   -   RE: Would YOU sell a track to POP?

psylichon

I would do it if the song were in any way original and unique to the pop world. I know it doesn't happen much, but every now and then I hear something that's not been done before (at least on the radio) and it's good shit (at least until the 30,000,000th play). If making mind-bending trip music is your thing, then your pop song should have a bit of that in it (I'm thinking Madonna's Ray of Light here and a few others). Why would you put out something that's COMPLETELY not you? Then you can get pigeonholed into a style that you don't like all to make a buck? Not me... I'll go work at Radio Shack or something slightly less depressing.

Not having to do shit we don't want to for money is the hallmark perk of being a musician. It should make us happy not to be drones like everyone else. And if you're poor and starving and don't succeed, at least people will understand, "hey, they're a musician." :}

psylichon

Message 29/73                 Date: 03-Oct-02  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: Would YOU sell a track to POP?

bedwyr

is there a disticntion between writing a song and the label getting someone else to produce it / or "producing" the track yourself and then getting britney to sing on top? are they both as bad as each other? pop songs are about melodies not about compression settings on your layered kick drum  

Message 30/73                 Date: 03-Oct-02  @  06:59 PM   -   RE: Would YOU sell a track to POP?

k

"pop songs are about melodies not about compression settings on your layered kick drum "

I wouldn't agree with that - if anything compression etc is MORE critical for radio/pop

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There are 73 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum