0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: can't decide...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  06:24 AM   -   can't decide...

psychofreak5000

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I'm wanting to get into sampling and music production but i don't know what kind of gear I should get. Is the Korg Electribe EM1 good for beginers? Any advice would be great.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/56                 Date: 23-Sep-02  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

influx

Link?: Link

"He ran out of money and wasn't able or willing to upgrade it with a Hard Drive or get a Zip drive. So he couldn't save any samples. He no longer uses his X. His industrial music aspirations pretty much died. And I feel very guilty for not pushing him towards a keyboard with more built in sounds and keys...

Im sorry man but it sounds to me like your buddy was just lacking initiative.

hell...a yamaha RS7000 is a solid all in one, too...even the stock sounds are ok!

my advice for a 'live' HW setup? RS7k (sampler, sequencer, some synth sounds) and a VirusKB (fucking $900 now!)

oh...
you know..to the original post...first step? BUDGET

what can you spend?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/56                 Date: 23-Sep-02  @  10:28 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

My budget is under $1200. I'm only 17 and I'm working my arse off to save up some money because I want to get into electronic music. Is it possible to get decent decent gear for under $500? Or will I need to spend at least $800 to get anything worth using?

Message 23/56                 Date: 23-Sep-02  @  10:31 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

And how could I find a place that sells decent used equipment?

Message 24/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  02:14 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

Scott Digweed

Link?:  No link

$800 will get you decent gear if used wisely, i.e. used gear in excellent shape. Here's a site with recent and average used prices:

http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/

For example, Roland JX-305's are $400-$500 used, Roland XP-50's marginally more. Akai S2000's about $450 and S20 (miniature version of S2000) about $200. Quasimidi Sirius and Raven are around $600. Nice boards, FYI.

Scott

Message 25/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  04:06 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

influx

wait..you just said $1200, then $500, then $800 

hmmm...honestly....gosh...I cant do it!

it just starts adding up. I mean...I am one that believes you should PAY for software, so...that adds up too

really otta take a look at reason or orion, and then a VST host for mixing

Message 26/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  04:26 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

what I meant with all the numbers is... 1200 is the most I'll spend, 500 would be really nice, but I expect to spend around 800

Message 27/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  06:21 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

damballah

uh, S-2000s closed out at $299 new. why would someone pay $450 s/h, even with memory and and the output/fx expansion board?

Message 28/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  06:34 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

Breakerbox

get an all in box like the rs 7000 if you think you can learn it, they go for 950+ and influx has one for sale i think... but its hard to get into..
you can get an mpc200 xl for same much money, but i wouldnt recommned it cause it doesnt have fx, synths etc. if you have apc you can always get a soft setup too.. or did everyone told you that already?

Message 29/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  06:38 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

Why would an all in one box be hard to get into? And yes, everyone has told me about the s/w setup and I have tried it... It's not exactly my cup of tea... I want something a little more hands on.

Message 30/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  07:45 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

influx

you know what? the yamaha RS7000 is DOPE. Synths are good enough, plenty of VERY good drums, and a mid-featured sampler built in

and if you go to www.harmonycentral.com under the classifieds theres a guy selling one for $800

go to www.yamaha.com and have a look for specs and features

the RS7000 is a synth, sampler, and sequencer all rolled up into one. It is pretty powerful and therefore a bit complicated, but..if you wrote all your stuff with IT for now..you could 'go live' no sweat later on.

all you would really need on top of it is a controller keyboard as the attached one isnt velocity sensitive...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 56 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum