0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Deejay & deejay kit

Subject: Horrible Newbie Questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 11-Sep-02  @  07:37 AM   -   Horrible Newbie Questions

Mr. Seasme

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hyia!

I'm a horrible newbie, and I have questions.
I'm a long time electronic music fan, and ever since I went to my first rave, I have been very interested in mixing some of my own tracks. My problem was that I didn't know where to start. I kind of kicked the idea around for a while, and eventually grabbed "Techno Ejay" from a software store and installed it. The Ejay program is a lot of fun, but I can shake the feeling that assembling pre-recorded samples is a bit lame. I've put together a few songs, but I would really like to get out there and start making some real music. So, the horrible questions are:
What software should I use? (I saw a program with a well known Dj, who was assembling his songs with a computer)
Whenever I see Djs at a rave, they seem to have some hardware (turntables and such) up on stage with them. Do I need to buy a bunch of equipment to get out of the basement and record some decent stuff?
And if the above is true, what sort of things do I buy? I'm sure like everything else, certain kinds of equipment are better than others. Also, I work a low paying job, so I can't blow $1000 on speakers or something.

Well, thanks for reading and possibly responding!
Yours,
Mr. Seasme
"Is that a gun in your violin case, or are you just happy to see me?"

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/34                 Date: 14-Sep-02  @  03:02 AM   -   RE: Horrible Newbie Questions

influx

Link?: Link

yeah..and I was thinking...the sampling I was talking about...mainly drums...altho hiphop used to be largely based on samples

the reason pongoid takes offense to my statement is because he prides himself on making his own sounds...which is perfectly legit.

basic point is probably just do your best to avoid taking the 'easy' way out and using prefabs

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/34                 Date: 14-Sep-02  @  06:02 AM   -   RE: Horrible Newbie Questions

damballah

yeah yeah yeah, more than one way to skin a cat. some styles aren't so synthy, matter of figuring out what to do to get those sounds out that are rattling around your brainpan.

Message 23/34                 Date: 14-Sep-02  @  07:27 AM   -   RE: Horrible Newbie Questions

Mr. Seasme

Wow, this forum has got the voices now, baby.
It's really impressive what a great community you folks have here. I really didn't expect to get such a huge reply, and I'm thankful. So, just to get my own headware sorted, let me call a vote:

Is grabbing bit o' software with an electronic synth/sampler and all that jazz the way for a newbie to start, or should I honor the ancient ways and grab a hardware synth and sampler(all personal preferences aside, I'd have to learn to use either better than I know how to now) and all the other gear that I'd need. Oh, and to clear up something I think I misstated, I'm usually all about using my own sounds. Everyone probably feels this way, but when I'm using some software that comes with "1000 professionally recorded techno samples", I get pissed because 9 times out of 10, whomever recorded the samples put some beat in there somewhere that I hate, and it's a lot more work to edit that and then get it to flow again, than it is to just make a new one with whatever synth instrument I need.

No offense to the brave people who record things for the "ejay"s, but some of those sounds are a little wacky. I'll grab a set of basslines, and string them together, only to play them back, and feel like I'm sitting in the street cranking an organ-grinder.

-Seasme & his pet monkey

Message 24/34                 Date: 14-Sep-02  @  10:44 AM   -   RE: Horrible Newbie Questions

TIC

well actually it all comes down to personal preference in the end sooooo but here are my two cents anyway.
If u r serious about this stuff then either get a yamaha A-series sampler(a5000 has absolutly no need for external efx or mixing unless your standards are really high in wich case he never would have asked the question) and something to controll that with (simple midi sequenser will do i use cubasis vst and a RM1X for that) or if u want to go the soft route and buy Kontakt and a sequnser that works well with it
I would personally recomend u getting the Kontakt package since it really gets u everything u need to get started and holds an incredible potential yet still being easy to wrap your head around and get started with (loooadsa presets that kick serious ass)

Message 25/34                 Date: 14-Sep-02  @  12:02 PM   -   RE: Horrible Newbie Questions

influx

tell you what. one synth, one sampler

and a sequencer

thatll sort you out. expand to taste.

honestly..software holds way more bang for the buck right nwo

Message 26/34                 Date: 14-Sep-02  @  03:11 PM   -   RE: Horrible Newbie Questions

xoxos

nwo

give it all away, infux!

Message 27/34                 Date: 14-Sep-02  @  08:21 PM   -   RE: Horrible Newbie Questions

influx

sorry. that would be NOW

Message 28/34                 Date: 15-Sep-02  @  05:51 PM   -   RE: Horrible Newbie Questions

bedwyr

I started with just a sampler (yamaha a3000) and an atari with cubase. The sampler taught me about envelopes, filters, lfos, I used to do more synthesis with that coz i only had one toy to play with. Now it's all software based and I've got lots of toys, I hardly do any synthesis. (but that's my lazy arse)

If you get one synth with lots of patching options then you'll be expanding your opportunities and honing a personal sound without getting into the more is better nonsense. So I vote influx, it's the three s's all the way.

Message 29/34                 Date: 15-Sep-02  @  09:48 PM   -   RE: Horrible Newbie Questions

milan

yup. one patchable synth, one programmable sampler, and one good sequencer.

then learn that and dont get lost between million free softsynths loaded with presets!

Message 30/34                 Date: 15-Sep-02  @  10:18 PM   -   RE: Horrible Newbie Questions

Mr. Seasme

Wow! This is great stuff. Now I'll just have to find some kind of searchable resource to get info about different equipment in the dance scene. Some website maybe. Something about Dance Technology. I dunno where I could possibly find something of that nature.

Heh.

Thanks again folks. As soon as I get a solid track layed down, I'll post it up, and let the masters sort through it.

"Voked Voked get revoked, I got revoked..."

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 34 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum