0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Deejay & deejay kit

Subject: DJ´s get all defensive about this

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 18-Aug-02  @  10:58 AM   -   DJ´s get all defensive about this

TIC

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

well i have made electronic music for about 4 years (little more actually) and been into the music for about 6 years. And now i have decided that i have to learn how to dj so that i can offer both a live show and a dj set (prolly gets more gigs) but since i can´t really afford two decks and a real mixer i decided to use what i the stuff i already have ie my laptop. So i got myself a copy of Traktor (liked that software best) and started to learn how to mix. after about six months i could put together a pretty decent set (not just my opinion a guy i know who has been dj @ docklands also thougth so) well anyway i have gotten a lot of shit from diffrent dj´s who almost refuse talking to me about dj stuff just because i use a laptop. Some say it is to easy to learn how to dj on them (automatic beat matching automatic bpm calculation automatic syncing of bass drums on tracks) So i lied about my mixtape to a some people (said i had made it with two decks when it actually was just vinyls that i had recorded and then encoded to mp3) and then a got a much much warmer welcome until i told them that it was a mp3 set with Traktor ofcourse then they all claimed to have heard somthing wrong with it. Can some one plz explain why dj´s act this way?

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/62                 Date: 21-Aug-02  @  06:27 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

Mindspawn

Link?: Link

Well, to save face for the "art" of DJing, just call yourself a mixdog or something, so as not to confuse vinyl "discs" with all those other discs... Then noone will whine when they get they're fragile artistic egos stepped on... Long live FLEMs!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, why is it important to call yourself a DJ anyway? That make what you do cooler...?

..and before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I could really care less, just bein' devil's advocate... well actually, I am the devil... but I do advocate, so....

Peace

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/62                 Date: 21-Aug-02  @  07:22 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

dissonance

Fuck it...if you want to use all these different media types...purchase a fucking "Final Scratch" and call it a day. That way you peserve the artform as well as increase you ability to use new stuff. Want to mix mp3's, fine. Use "Final Scratch" and throw down. If the you aren't employing two decks and a mixer, you are not djaying.

It's like the stupid fuck on the radio that uses some software to mix tracks during the "non-stop" dance mix. I called the guy up, "when did you guys start mixing?" "Well....I'm using some software to do it for me..." "OHH, okay then. You aren't djaying?" "No I'm not djaying, I'm using computer software to mix music"

Point being, you are mixing music. You just aren't djaying. Mixdawg.

dissonance

Message 23/62                 Date: 21-Aug-02  @  07:36 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

selma

just tell 'em you drive a traktor and to get the hell out of your way.

Message 24/62                 Date: 21-Aug-02  @  09:31 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

TiC

yesss i am the worlds first mixdawg and no i dont want to call myself dj so that other people will think i am cool just so people will understand that i mix music live but to hell with it i am a FLEM at heart so let the djs do there stuff and i will do mine (and some times there stuff to but not as a dj no as a mixdawg) is every one happy?
US MIXDAWGS DRIVE TRAKTOR STEP ASIDE DJ´S

Message 25/62                 Date: 21-Aug-02  @  10:06 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

influx

oh lord. this is gonna get pretty funny

dissonance..I didnt think you would be one to flip out over something like this

Message 26/62                 Date: 21-Aug-02  @  10:45 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

dissonance

well, I don't think that I'm flipping out. I'm just adament about it. I could give a shit really what this cat does. Let him spin cds on his johnson if he wants. That's cool. It's just a matter of being accurate. That's the same as people who program cds on the radio station. I asked a guy at 94.5 in Boston, a hiphop station...and that's a stretch...anyhow. I asked him if he played records. He says no and that he's not a djay, he's a radio personality.

Now I'm not equating one with the other. I'm simply pointing out that he figures that if he's not playing records, he's not a djay.

That being said.

Do your thing. Shit if you want put a link up to one of these mixes so I can give it an ear. I'd like to listen to it, especially if you play some stuff that I like.

dissonance

Message 27/62                 Date: 21-Aug-02  @  10:49 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

dissonance

and there's the link for my page with two of my sets on it. All live with every imperfection present like it was thrown down.

Also present are some meger attempts at some Techno and HipHop. Need lots of work, and haven't made anything new in three or four months.

dissonance

Message 28/62                 Date: 22-Aug-02  @  10:12 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

Mindspawn

Sorry if I seemed to step on yer toes dissonance, I was just stirrin' shit... I didna mean naught by it. I DO think you're taking it all a bit too close to heart, just an opinion... It'd be kinda like me going off if someone DID call me a DJ... that actually happens a lot... go figure... an' it used to upset me, but what's the point of gettin' twisted over it? You do what you do, eh? That's yer art... not some categorized pigeon hole that is only a name for yer art... I dunna care anymore what others call what I do, it's my art whether you call it FLEM, DJ, or nose-picking, least that's my take. Not my job to educate or categorize... Yer mileage may vary....

However, seems "mixdawgs on tractors" has smoothed out the ruff bits so we can all play nice again, eh?

Message 29/62                 Date: 23-Aug-02  @  06:37 AM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

TiC

well its always nice to discuss stuff but the fact that whatever i chose to call my self certain party organizers will not let me mix music at parties still remains
anyone got something smart that i can say to these persons?

Message 30/62                 Date: 23-Aug-02  @  07:04 AM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

dissonance

nah...I can't really think of anything...you'd have a tough time..that is for sure.

dissonance

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 62 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum