0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Can't get my compressor to "pump"!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 08-May-02  @  01:39 PM   -   Can't get my compressor to

Drop

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

All the people I've seen use compressors go for that "nice" sound. I want to get my unit to pump in time with my beats like the dance pro producers do.

How I understand it is that you send the grouped drum track to the stereo compressor and compress with the desired ratio. Then I make sure I have the fastest possible attack and release settings. Then I lengthen the release time until the drums pump (suck in and out) then back it off slightly.

This is what I've been doing but can't get it to work. Any advice?

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/45                 Date: 08-May-02  @  08:55 PM   -   RE: Can't get my compressor to

milan

Link?: Link

nope. sidechain is the answer :P

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/45                 Date: 08-May-02  @  09:12 PM   -   RE: Can't get my compressor to

xoxos

patch it right in the first place is the only answer.

Message 23/45                 Date: 08-May-02  @  10:13 PM   -   RE: Can't get my compressor to

damballah

don't try to do this in pro tools without first building a pro tools rig

Message 24/45                 Date: 08-May-02  @  11:22 PM   -   RE: Can't get my compressor to

influx

Link?:  Link

gb,

yes, you can buss stuff in the O1v, and I believe those busses have dynamics...so..you could compress each sound as needed, send it, and compress the subgroup.

you know..I never ONCE tried to make a compressor pump intentionally...am I missing something?

Message 25/45                 Date: 08-May-02  @  11:54 PM   -   RE: Can't get my compressor to

Zink

Pumping's best for 4onthefloor stuff, couldn't imagine exploiting the effect with Breaks...

But that's just meeeee....

Message 26/45                 Date: 09-May-02  @  10:13 AM   -   RE: Can't get my compressor to

j-type

01V busses don't have dynamics unfortunately.

Message 27/45                 Date: 09-May-02  @  12:13 PM   -   RE: Can't get my compressor to

Drop

Sarcastic Bastards :-). I only asked some opinions.

Maybe to do this I need:

Pro Tools, Hans Zimmer, the Timo Mass Engineer and Abbey Road Studios.

Message 28/45                 Date: 09-May-02  @  12:29 PM   -   RE: Can't get my compressor to

sitar

Link?:  Link

You don't need protools to do it. But like someone said already some compressors are softer than others. I never got anything pumping with the compressor that came with Cake Pro Audio but then I wasn't trying to back then. With Ozone "Izotope" or Sonictimeworks they pump all the time without any effort really. Last weekend the drums were coming and disappearing, coming and disappearing, coming and disappearing, they were pumping so much. It was more like a doppler effect. Jeez.

Message 29/45                 Date: 09-May-02  @  12:29 PM   -   RE: Can't get my compressor to

milan

hmm... well, we already brought up just about every way to do this. if you still cant crack it, then its time to get an engineer. (or sell your compounder to me!).

cheers, M.

Message 30/45                 Date: 09-May-02  @  12:43 PM   -   RE: Can't get my compressor to

Drop

Thank you. People don't know how to interpret or use sarcasim. Thank you.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 45 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum