0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 16-Apr-02  @  03:15 AM   -   DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

Zink

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

www.ddx3216.com

This mixer seems really cool for the price - I was looking at an 01v, but now... Hmmm...

Anybody had a play with this thing?? Whadaya think??

Michael

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/66                 Date: 18-Apr-02  @  05:58 PM   -   RE: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

99devils

Link?: Link

There are many soundcards that do 8 channels of TDIF, not 24. And if you're moving to a pro-tools rig why would you spend that kind of money on a mixer? You'd be better off investing in a pro-tools control surface, wouldn't you?

Just wondering what your rationale is..

-Craig

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/66                 Date: 19-Apr-02  @  02:48 PM   -   RE: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

Brett

dm24=$2000
control24=$7000

what's your point here?

Am I supposed to buy a little motomix and hook all my gear up to a patchbay and the patchbay to protools. I'd rather have a mixer with inserts for using exteranl fx during mixdown and nice pre-amps. I don't see another option without spending $7000 on the focurite.

Message 23/66                 Date: 19-Apr-02  @  06:25 PM   -   RE: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

99devils

Just debating the pros and cons with you is all.. I'm looking at that "next step" and weighing my options.

I had really wanted a DM24 but figured it would be too expensive once I factored in the hardware to get all that I/O in and out of the PC.

-Craig

Message 24/66                 Date: 20-Apr-02  @  05:29 PM   -   RE: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

Brett

true, using tdif in the pc native apps may not work! I haven't seen a 24 channel tdif soundcards, and to make good use of the mise i/o, i may need to buy 3 888 and that's a lot of dosh. I just want to know down the road theat I't there for me. I have been looking at getting the mixer, some nice comps adn pre's, then pt last. Like i am getting a dbx160 when I find one in good shape, and an avalon 737. So , moving from prosumer into pro market. When I go out to LA for my internship in a year and half, I want to be able to have my set up complete and ready to do full pro productions with out the limits i run into these days. So expandability and scalability are most important.

Message 25/66                 Date: 20-Apr-02  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

k

why tdif?... cant U use adat & say an RME with 3 x 8 adat x i/o connectors?

Message 26/66                 Date: 21-Apr-02  @  02:54 AM   -   RE: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

Brett

the dm-24 comes standard with 24 channels of tdif. not 24 channels of adat. And tdif can be configured to do 96khz. Plus the ability to insert analog into every channel by using the xlr i/o for mix down. My mind is far from set. i don't have the money yet. I am in the ruff planning phase here.

Message 27/66                 Date: 23-Apr-02  @  02:39 PM   -   RE: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

99devils

Yeah, Brett, you're hitting on what I was talking about now.. In order to get all that I/O in the computer, it's gonna cost for the interfaces. Whereas with the Behringer, you need just 2 ADAT I/O cards, and 16-channel ADAT cards are cheap and common. So the Behringer solution will cost you a lot less in the end, but you certainly get a lot less too  

-Craig

Message 28/66                 Date: 23-Apr-02  @  06:14 PM   -   RE: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

Brett

I see your point. I can get an adat bridge for $600-$900 for the 24 bit one, and then have 16 channels of i/o for PT. To get 16 with tdif, I would need two 888's and that is not so cheap. More like, $2000. I was crunching numbers anyway, and I think I am just going to keep the o1v and stick an oasys in my pc. So I'll have the oasys and the o1v linking to the PT adat bridge. And this way I can use the oasys as another fx engine and for routing Reason tracks into PT. this will do fine the any of my immidiate needs.

Message 29/66                 Date: 23-Apr-02  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

Brett

i am sitting here thinking about it., and I am realizing that none of the PT i/o's are tdif, they are AES/EBU. So what the f...was I thinking. How do peopel strip da-88 into PT,

Message 30/66                 Date: 24-Apr-02  @  05:05 AM   -   RE: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

VOTIVE

Hey Guys,

If you do not need a lot of channels, please please look into a Roland...NOT the all-in-one crap tho.

VM-3100 is a right stonker! It killed my 01v sonicaly, all for less than $600USD WITH an interface card (8 chan digital) with DB25 to the mixer.

The effects (2) are outstanding save no BPM calc on the delay. Reverbs simply go on for ever. Compressor - mono or stacked for stereo AND you won't believe the "Break Beat" preset -gawd!

Scene recall, not just total recall like the 01v.

Comes with a 'lite' version of Logic (does NOT work in Win2k etc, only 98)

Negs':

Metering is skint

24 bit mixer, 16 bit stream for the drivers (asio only)

Connector cable is only 3 meters

8thstreet.com - ask for Randy (partner/owner) (from Erik)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 66 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum