0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: eastern scales

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 05-Mar-02  @  06:06 AM   -   eastern scales

Brett B

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

i posted this up a while back and didn't really get much help. I love Indian music and have read about 7 tone scales and eastern modal scales. How do i take a song done in C and transpose it to this style I am just using c for simplicity. Coletrane played some crazy eastern modal scales . First what is a modal scale, and how do I determine one for a specific Key I am in, and secondly do it in an eastern way. I am familiar with the 8 basic Maj and Min scales C-B.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/32                 Date: 12-Mar-02  @  01:16 PM   -   RE: eastern scales

sitar

Great! I can't check it out now cuz I'm at work. Sounds cool.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/32                 Date: 12-Mar-02  @  04:18 PM   -   RE: eastern scales

Brett B

Link?:  No link

I wish i could say i was at work. I need a job, Bills colectors keep calling. Anyway the flutes and strings are great, but your sample has to be the perfect tempo to lock the midi up, but if you sing it it should be ok. Problem is I can't hit any high noted when i sing. So i hope there is some flexability in the editing. I got the demo, but realized my mic won't be here until thursday.

Message 23/32                 Date: 12-Mar-02  @  05:25 PM   -   RE: eastern scales

sitar

Hope you have money coming in one way or the other soon. Terrible what Enron did to all of you there.

Message 24/32                 Date: 13-Mar-02  @  01:09 AM   -   RE: eastern scales

Brett B

i didn't lose any money like many others, but they left me hanging with all my commisions unpaid. It's hopefully a good thing for me. I hated outside sales with them. I have some good prospects. I may need to just suck it up and do some temp work while and keep looking. So have you taken a whack at this digital ear stuff.

Message 25/32                 Date: 13-Mar-02  @  07:26 PM   -   RE: eastern scales

marianimal

C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C
                          x x x x           x x                          

Sounds like Sitar's given you the basic information you need about bending notes. I think the different characters of the raags are fascinating and I'm learning to recognize the characteristic ornaments in a few of them. I also think it's worth learning from a real teacher if you're seriously interested in Eastern music.

But for now if you want to just create an Eastern sounding scale in a simple way, play with flatting the 7th, then with flatting the 3rd. Then even try flatting the 2nd. See what you like, what sounds appropriate for the mood of your tune. Personally, I find that the time-of-day designations for the raags make sense somehow. In general, raags with a flatted 3rd & 7th (&/or? Sitar?), the Purvang Rags, fall between 9pm and 3am, which is perfect for lots of electronic music. And I recall reading some Ravi Shankar liner notes where he said he liked to use the flatted 2nd & flatted 7th a lot because they helped create transcendent states. Use with respect. I'll never forget (at least the basic idea of) that story about Narada where he was brought to see the beautiful beings, the Raagas, he had been unwittingly torturing by playing badly. I'm sure that tale is very effective at getting earnest young ones to practice.

Message 26/32                 Date: 14-Mar-02  @  02:07 AM   -   RE: eastern scales

sitar

There is a story about the great singer Mian Ki Tansen who was supposedly so adept that he had the power to invoke the elements with his singing. A skeptical king demanded that he sing Raag Deepak, which even today is never performed as it is said to create fire, or face death . As he could not dissuade the king he began to sing. Singing Raag Deepak, he became hotter and hotter. A female student of his that was present, fearing he would not survive, started to sing Raag Megh Malhar or Mian Ki Malhar which caused clouds to appear and rain down on Tansen, thus protecting him from bursting into flames.

Remember that next time your mixer starts smoking.

Message 27/32                 Date: 14-Mar-02  @  09:19 AM   -   RE: eastern scales

marianimal

I think the young ragini was his daughter, was she not? Or is that shrouded in the mists of legend? Actually I think of that story every time I hear the name Deepak and I think wow, that guy's parents must have expected him to be a total pyro or something.

Message 28/32                 Date: 14-Mar-02  @  09:30 AM   -   RE: eastern scales

bedwyr

Link?: Link

lol!

keep this info coming guys, very interesting. music&legends.

Message 29/32                 Date: 14-Mar-02  @  01:01 PM   -   RE: eastern scales

sitarsong

You're right. It was his daughter. Have you listened to Roshan Ara Begum. if you can get a hold of her long play albums, she's amazing...singer. I could send you a copy of a tape if you like Marianimal. If so, email me.

Message 30/32                 Date: 14-Mar-02  @  04:49 PM   -   RE: eastern scales

Brett B

Link?: Link

So where was Afra Haza from. I loved her stuff. She died just last year I think. She was only in her 40's. Remember that Eric B and Rakem rip off of "In the Name of..". I have some Razormaid mixes of her songs from the 80's. I have always loved eastern overtones in electronic music, even high School. It adds so much emotion, because eastern music is more dramatic.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 32 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum