0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: Please critique my new track

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 25-Sep-01  @  01:54 AM   -   Please critique my new track

Sensoniq

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I'm looking for some feedback on my newest tune, "Day Turns Into Night."...Especially regarding the arrangement and whether the vocoded vocals should come in sooner...Also what genre would you label it? Thanks very much for your help

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/37                 Date: 01-Oct-01  @  10:04 AM   -   RE: Please critique my new track

xoxos

Link?: Link

dddd d dd dd d dd d d d d d dd d d dd d d d dd d d d dd d d d d dd d dd d d dd d dd d d d dd d ddd dd d dd d d dd dd d dd d d d d ddo do d do o o o o do do do do d o o o do do do o o do o o o do dod o do o do o do do do o o o o o oooo ooo on n on on on n oon n n nn n nn n n nnnnn n n n nn n n n n n n n n n e enen ene enee ene ene e ee e e e e e emee e e e ee e e e ee! ! ee e e e !!! !!! !! ! !! ! ! !! ! ! ! !!!! !!

cc aff c cc ca c c aa a a a f ff ff f f f ff e ef e fe e e ee eeieieeiieieiii nn nn n n n n n nn n e e e e ee e ee ee .ee.e e.e.ee....e. e... . . . . . .

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/37                 Date: 01-Oct-01  @  12:21 PM   -   RE: Please critique my new track

pat_magrath

Link?:  No link

got a around to listening to a few tracks.....really like ur feel for the groove spot dude...some day im gonna get into these melodic tracks when i got some spare time and shit....i like the way ur head thinks with the music aswell...its quite a friggen art to make a track like that! keep pumpin the shit for the people! .......... respect

Message 23/37                 Date: 01-Oct-01  @  12:24 PM   -   RE: Please critique my new track

pat_magrath

Link?:  No link

another thing....u got me goin round the house humming the notes to that track...so it definately left a lasting impression...which is a fucking good thing.....

Message 24/37                 Date: 03-Oct-01  @  01:29 AM   -   RE: Please critique my new track

Sensoniq

Thanks for the props Pat...

For those of you who missed Day Into Night check out my newest tune "Rhythm vs. Melody", a track that pitts these two elements against one another

Message 25/37                 Date: 03-Oct-01  @  10:41 AM   -   RE: Please critique my new track

xoxos

quantised!!! and liking that. feels like it should be twice as long.. got me smiling in seconds after the bass hit but some of the transitions seemed to beg for being more drawn out. course who cares about that if you get to go through 25 different grooves on one cd? feelgood album of the year i'll bet.

Message 26/37                 Date: 03-Oct-01  @  05:47 PM   -   RE: Please critique my new track

sensoniq

Yes quantized...glad you noticed! Of course once it's
quantized, I find that the hardest thing to do is to set the
track delay time for audio tracks that have been
converted from MIDI...I guess because of latency or
whatever, the audio track is always a few milliseconds
off from its corresponding midi track and it sometimes
takes a valiant effort fiddling with the "track delay" to find
that sweet spot again...If you listen carefully you'll notice
that one of the 4-bar string phrases is a little bit rushed
because I didn't do the track delay right, or at least it
sounds that way to me.

Thanks for the compliments xoxos. In all honesty
though, do you think the melodies are too simple and
cheesy? I had much more intricate ideas in my head but
I decided to just keep it simple with one simple 4-chord
progression. I guess in the end it's a matter of
preference -- some prefer simplicity and others prefer
intricate melodies...Maybe it's time to just go all out on
the next one...

Message 27/37                 Date: 03-Oct-01  @  05:48 PM   -   RE: Please critique my new track

sensoniq

Oh by the way I'll have your feelgood album of the year
in the mail by Friday... 

Message 28/37                 Date: 03-Oct-01  @  05:53 PM   -   RE: Please critique my new track

bedwyr

um, record ur midi stuff (like a kick) then play the audio and midi at the same time & set the delay for least phasing ? - dunno if this is a logic/cubase thing

Message 29/37                 Date: 03-Oct-01  @  06:08 PM   -   RE: Please critique my new track

sensoniq

Good idea bedwyr thanx...I never realized the obvious
like that and that method sounds like it should do the
trick (I use VST)...

Of course sometimes when layering audio tracks for
thickness (i.e., say a string section) a little bit of phasing
can be a good thing because it can make the sound a
bit richer in the right spot...can't it?

Message 30/37                 Date: 03-Oct-01  @  11:14 PM   -   RE: Please critique my new track

xoxos

too cheesy for me? hmm.. right now i'm thinking my 'sounds most like..' is going to be erasure, helen reddy and old english rounds where each line ends in an "-o."

had a dream a long time ago where i was playing some of my imaginary music at a party and everybody liked it tho it had cheesy lines, because it kept moving.. i realised that sometimes the instinct to fight the 'cheesy note progression' factor ends up killing some good, or at least personally important songs. i thought the track was underdeveloped, but maybe fighting that would kill what might be a more important 'do another track' factor for you.

sometimes you have a melody and you can squeeze in notes or transpose or turn a bit around, but sometimes it's best left to be what it is.

a question on latency - my computer's so crap i'm going to do one instrumental audio only.. (plus my sysex experiments have killed the main patch in my song twice - that can really be a damper) does each take have different latency? if not, why don't you just have a dummy first audio track so the latency on all successive tracks is the same??

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 37 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum