0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: It never stops

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 17-Sep-01  @  04:14 AM   -   It never stops

Yonce N Mild

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

How do you know when to stop ...I mean is a track really ever finished ...anyway here is the third edit of Iniquity.....Thanks ya'll for the help and advice.....I actually think this is done now but as usual coments and suggestions are apperciated.......The bass gets lost in the lofi so you'll have to take my word for it there is some serious bass in this version....I dig it
peace to you all
Yonce

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/39                 Date: 20-Sep-01  @  04:38 PM   -   RE: It never stops

Yonce N Mild

Actually monitors are next on my wish list...but since I just blew about a grand on a new pc and still haven't totally paid off my rm1x yet it'll be awhile right now i am using a set of yamaha bookshelf speakers to mix on i also have a nice pair of akg headphones but I don't like to use headphones to mix.....so at the moment I mix a track burn it to cd listen to it on my stereo,in my car,at my parents house,at my buddies house, etc. then kinda remix from memory it works eventually but is a real pain in the ass. And I actually do like how this track sounds I'm overall pretty happy with it but every time i hear it I think there needs to be a breakdown here I should drop out the bass there ya know kinda hard to just listen to your own music and take it at face value...always too critical but I have come to the conclusion that this track is DONE.....................untill the remix hehehhe

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/39                 Date: 20-Sep-01  @  04:45 PM   -   RE: It never stops

Yonce N Mild

oh by the way the synth is my ea-1 and the asr-x layered together and tweaked seperatly and everything is on seprate channels

Message 23/39                 Date: 20-Sep-01  @  05:15 PM   -   RE: It never stops

damballah

Link?:  Link

well, yamaha consumer bookshelf speakers aren't all that different from NS-10s and god only knows how many records have been mixed on them bastards. the trick's getting familiar with your monitoring system and using that to make mixes that translate. you could go out and plunk down lots of money for top-of-the-line monitors and you'd still have to go through that process.

me thinks that pongoid has a new mantra ;)

Message 24/39                 Date: 20-Sep-01  @  05:17 PM   -   RE: It never stops

Sensoniq

Link?: Link

To me mixing is much harder than composing. Mixing requires constant awareness of the panning settings and volume levels of every single track in a tune, and esp. how these tracks' panning and volume changes relate to one another.

Mixing requires playing the tune thru for every single track to make the neccessary adjustments. If there are 20 tracks in a 5 min. tune, this means at least 1 hour and 45 minutes for panning adjustments (20 X 5 min.), another 1 hour and 45 minutes for volume adjustments, and sometimes even more time for realtime eq adjustments in programs like Cubase.

And that's just hands-on time...It takes even more time to think about, analyze, and then practice what you're doing before you do it. If I don't give myself at least 8-9 hours to mix down a 5 minute tune then I feel that I'm doing it a disservice

Message 25/39                 Date: 20-Sep-01  @  05:59 PM   -   RE: It never stops

damballah

overthinkin' it? ding ding ding ding. we have a winner!

Message 26/39                 Date: 20-Sep-01  @  07:48 PM   -   RE: It never stops

influx

jesus fucking CHRIST!!!

what..you listen to every track INDIVIDUALLY? holy anal retentives batman!!!

sensoniq..got an offering for you. A song is a combination of parts, right? those parts have to work together right? so mix TOGETHER. not sayin a solo here and there to check fine tuning but...wow

Message 27/39                 Date: 20-Sep-01  @  10:35 PM     Edit: 20-Sep-01  |  10:37 PM   -   RE: It never stops

milan

yeah, if you ask the best mix engineers in the world they will tell you that it is imortant how something sounds in the mix, not on its own. i´ve seen a serious pro mix a snare which sounded shit, but when he pulled up the other faders it fitted perfectly. even Bob bloody Clearmountain would atest to that.

anyway, i LOVE mixing, even more that the rest of the process. i even do it for other people. eq-ing, compressing, setting the reverbs and the rest...mmmm... especialy if you have acces to nice gear, its a real pleasure.

Message 28/39                 Date: 20-Sep-01  @  10:53 PM   -   RE: It never stops

xoxos

each-sound fetishist. innit fun.

damballah do you have a link to that mantra thingy. that's korg right?

Message 29/39                 Date: 21-Sep-01  @  04:32 AM   -   RE: It never stops

Sensoniq

No, you peeps misunderstood me...I don't listen to every track individually and mix it solo, what I said was "play it through for every track."...

In other words, since I am not an octopus with dozens of arms I do one thing at a time: play the song all the way thru to affect track 1 panning, then play it all the way thru again to affect track 1 volume, then play it thru again for track 2 panning, thru again for track 2 volume, etc. etc.

Don't you all focus on one mix adjustment at a time per play too, or are there a few octopi in the midst?

Message 30/39                 Date: 21-Sep-01  @  04:58 AM   -   RE: It never stops

Pongoid

I understand the part about making things fit, however, if you get each sound right when you are building it, it should fit fairly well, and over time, you will learn how to spot the right sound for the right spot immediately. Eventually the sounds basicly tell you themself where they belong, and you just put them there, and it's not something you spend a long time mulling over. You slap shit into the mix and record it, then listen to it, and if it doesn't work, then you know for next time and you move on and try out something else.

I have a body of work that's immense, and the stuff I've recorded is only a tenth of the stuff I've composed. Most of it gets discarded. That's how you grow. You don't try to revolutionize the world with every piece. You practice getting the basics right, and do studies in sound constantly, and each piece is an evolution; and once in a while if you're lucky, you have a breakthrough, where you grow in a leap. Very rarely does one land precisely on their feet, and the breakthrough comes out perfectly, rather that it teaches you something radical, that soon becomes another basic for you to draw upon for your subsequent creations.

You grow by trying new things, not just sitting on the same thing over and over. If you're not changing something each time you mess with a piece, it's done and either you record it and move on, or you chuck it and move on. Either way, you move on. When your piece if ready, hopefully you'll notice some new aspect each time you listen to it. If you listen to the piece after it's recorded ten times in a row, and it still sounds good, then it's good. If not, then it's just a lesson. Maybe this should be in the theory section.

Ape

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 39 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum