0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Software VS Hardware

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 14-Mar-01  @  08:03 PM   -   Software VS Hardware

speedload20

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I'm doing a report for the local university about the strengths and weeknesses of using either software or hardware or a combination in your studio. That is basing your studio on either software or hardware.

I would appreciate all thoughts on this topic! Please don't say "Software sucks" or something like that. Tell me WHY it sucks. WHY doesn't it sound/act like hardware? Will software close up on hardware once the computers can start handeling more and more voices/realtime effects?

Thanks!

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/48                 Date: 16-Mar-01  @  08:33 PM   -   RE: Software VS Hardware

Manik

Link?:  No link

Sorry if your English is bad, but consider the fact that people will misunderstand you. Telling me to shut up if I'm not going to help, when you can't present you question is pretty immature.

You quote me, yet clearly misunderstand what I said, even though it is quite clear to people with good English. I'm not gonna slag you for it, though, so I'll explain.

"yet can't bother to get specifics" - your response to this indicates you understood this statement as 1 of 2 ways. First "you can't bother to give specifics", or second "you can't bother to get specific". Neither interpretation is correct. What I mean is, you ask for opinions, you are given opinions, and then given further information on where you can find even MORE information. You can find out for yourself what kinds of problems people have with software, and more opinions on the subject. Yet, you can't be bothered to go look. That's lazy, plain and simple. I don't care what your intention is, and I don't care the basis of your question - the simple fact is that you want other people to do your work for you. All you have to do is go to the Cubase or Logic forum, or the PC Chat forum and look at the fucking titles. You can see opinions RIGHT THERE IN THE TITLE. You can get OPINIONS from people who don't come to the site anymore. You can get OPINIONS from people who are sick of answering the SAME QUESTION OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/48                 Date: 16-Mar-01  @  08:37 PM   -   RE: Software VS Hardware

speedload20

Pretty fun to se at times... Some people just look for trouble in these forums. They do nothing or very little to actually help, but they don't have any problem in writing an essay on why people suck.

Why bother?

If nice people (or perhaps stupid in some eyes) want to help, then it's their problem right?

Your skills in argumentation won't help anyone here.

Message 23/48                 Date: 16-Mar-01  @  08:43 PM   -   RE: Software VS Hardware

speedload20

Manik: Then please tell me what work you are doing for me. You seem to know that already.

I'm no stranger to the dancetech forums. I didn't start doing my thinking when I posted the topic.

What question has been asked over and over in this case and why did you bother to look at the subject at all if you have read it over and over already?

Message 24/48                 Date: 16-Mar-01  @  08:49 PM   -   RE: Software VS Hardware

Manik

In the time you have spent checking back in on this question, have you checked the other forums to see what people have said about s/w vs. h/w? I'm helping you by trying to get you to learn to fish.

And unless you are posting under an assumed name, it appears that you ARE relatively new to the DT forums because you would KNOW that there are lots of opinions on this subject already. Now stop arguing with me and get off your lazy ass and do some of your OWN homework. I'm not going to do it for you.

Message 25/48                 Date: 16-Mar-01  @  08:53 PM   -   RE: Software VS Hardware

speedload20

Yeah... Sorry for the "shut up" But since you used even worse language according to me, I decided to use a more colourful sentence.

Ok if we leave this now? If people want to help then great! I just need confirmations and opinions.

If not, I can base a report completely on my current knowledge too. But I prefer checking with guys who probably know these things even better than me.

I don't call anyone stupid. You probably know lots about gear and music and things Manik, but you won't help me to confirm my thoughts by flaming me.

So please? Can we just drop this?

Message 26/48                 Date: 16-Mar-01  @  09:00 PM   -   RE: Software VS Hardware

speedload20

Manik: I've learned all I know about mixing here... Lots of useful articles and forums for that.

I drop by here now and then to check on things since this is the best site I know about electronic musicmaking. Vintagesynth.com won't help me in this case. And not synthzone.com either.

Some people here have already helped me, and I thank them for that.

Message 27/48                 Date: 17-Mar-01  @  03:12 AM   -   RE: Software VS Hardware

k

Link?: Link

but i wasnt having a go at you speedload i was talking to technosis, and ranting to myself.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 28/48                 Date: 17-Mar-01  @  12:19 PM   -   RE: Software VS Hardware

Speedload20

Is it just me, or did some messages just vanish from the forum? Hmm...

K:
It's ok... I was just having a bad day and didn't feel like being judged like that.

Guess I should have worked more on my initial questions. I'll just blame tiredness.

Message 29/48                 Date: 18-Mar-01  @  11:36 PM   -   RE: Software VS Hardware

Pongoid

Speedload, although Manik's manner may not necessarily be spot on (I'm usually even worse), he really is spot on. The archives here have more info for you from years of posts than what you will get in one thread. Why candy coat it dude? You're feeling lazy, not wanting to make the effort to really do your precious research, and you got called on it. Nice people are wasting their energy on you. That to me says that you are young and vampiric. Please get this clear. I don't come here looking for trouble, and I don't post as much as I used to for simply one reason: vampires like you, people who are not willing to make the effort to look for the answers when they can simply leech others priceless time and energy by asking them to regurgitate the most basic of questions. It's like a sixth grader walking into a school library and asking the librarians to read the Dr. Suess boks to him/her. That to me comes of as rather rude, and honestlty, I am offended by such ignorance, so I'll return the offense: Until you are ready to do your own research, and make your own efforts to learn in a serious way, this is not the place for you to waste others time. Fuck off, asshole.

Ape

Message 30/48                 Date: 19-Mar-01  @  12:26 PM   -   RE: Software VS Hardware

Jasper

Of course on the other hand (purely to show the other sides of an argument), someone might show an interest how something is done. This could be how someone goes about writing music on a pc or even how to bake a cake with a bottle of whiskey and not have it go soggy. This does not of course mean that they particularly want to do it themselves, but are only showing an interest. Some people like answering questions like this and some people don't. BUT, the choice is allways there to ignore such questions and not get yourself into a tizz about it.
Just arguing for the other side BTW.Say your girlfriend asks you "do you prefer hardware or software ?would you attack her in the same way?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 48 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum