0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: House And Garage Patterns

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 14-Dec-99  @  03:12 PM   -   House And Garage Patterns

scottr

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm intrested in learning how to get a good garage sound, if anyone has any patterns they would be of great help. thanks.

cali

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/33                 Date: 14-Mar-00  @  04:45 PM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

jamiesop

I am a bass player who has played in a lot of gigging bands playing anything from rock to soul. But bands can be a pain, too many egos. So I setup a small studio in my spare room where I could get creative on my own (peace) I have so many influences that I driffted aimlessly then I heard a garage track that blew me away, it had so much feel. It was creative and well produced. So if there are any tips for producing garage I would be very grateful. My setup includes:
EMU esi4000 sampler
Yamaha cs1x synth
Yamaha SW1000 sound card
Alesis nano bass
Spirit folio sx mixer
spirit absolute 2 monitors (kicking)

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/33                 Date: 15-Mar-00  @  10:38 PM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

ModAsBlue

Link?: Link

This whole garage thing kind of eludes me as well...

I'm an "A-mare-ih-can" (mocking my northern inland Detroit dialect for all you English blokes!) and the garage on that web site would be called "top 40 dance" around here. I wouldn't really call that stuff the "root of house" as that would be Chicago, three hours west of my front door. That stuff is very shiny...

It must be a London thing. Like dead hookers on Michigan Avenue is a Detroit thing.

(or booty...do you guys know DJ ASSAULT? Ass and Titties anyone? heh...)
But mucho respect to the English...we just have different house sensibilities.

Message 23/33                 Date: 21-Mar-00  @  01:28 AM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

jojo the dog faced boy

From all my expierence , it's trance , funky house and industrial break beat where i 'live which is nice , but i still don't know what garage really sounds like .

who is a Major artist in garage (maybe i have heard something from 'em)

it seems to me like a house/drum and bass hybrid, by using the stardard 4/4 bastard son of disco kiks , with the cut up crazyness of jungle. Or i could have it all wrong

I heard it described as the resolution between opposite factors in music (i.e mechanical vs human timing, artifical vs real, complex vs clean,using most of the feelings of most elctronica and acoustic music)

But i have never really heard it .

Message 24/33                 Date: 21-Mar-00  @  05:48 PM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

Pjam

If you want to hear some comercial sounding UK garage go to www.audiofind.com and download an mp3 file by Artful Dodger it's called rewind. It was in the charts here in the UK for a while. Check it out..

Message 25/33                 Date: 21-Mar-00  @  06:53 PM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

k

the other thing is... with Garage, most of the beats are the same... there is not alot of variation, but really all the beats are pretty much the same - the variation is in the rest of the track whilst mostly (without any DJ turntablist activity) the beats remain constant... certainly in most commercial realeases anyways... but what IS equally important is the sounds, Garage has like a set drum sound, the best way to describe it is to look at it's origin.. loops played speeded up... so mostly you can generalise and say that Garage uses drum sounds that sound like they are played speeded up ALOT... hi-pitched kik & snare drums is the order of the day, little 'popping' snares that sound almost like tin pots... check it out, having the grooves without the actual sounds doesn't sound right... you gotta get the sounds too into your sampler... and there's a special prize for the first to spot the garage rip-off groove of 'Boogie-Wonderland'.. ha ha

Message 26/33                 Date: 21-Mar-00  @  07:06 PM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

hardyhar

rewind - artful dodger is 2 - step garage which is completely different from regular garage

not trying to be picky but just thought id inform the americans.

Message 27/33                 Date: 21-Mar-00  @  08:15 PM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

k

shit.. is that riff boogie-wonderland or what!! - perhaps i was generalising a bit, but.... youknowwhat i mean about the drum parts... variations are there, but in essence, it's the swing with the 'gap'...

Message 28/33                 Date: 21-Mar-00  @  08:18 PM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

k

anyways, it is interestingto see that within a month all the 'Trance' comp' ad's are being replaced by 'Garage' comp's on the TV -

Message 29/33                 Date: 27-Mar-00  @  08:38 AM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

duh?

I parked my car in a garage.

Message 30/33                 Date: 27-Mar-00  @  10:00 AM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

k

yeah.. well i'm working on a new style.. it's called SHED

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 33 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum