0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Creating Beats

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12

Original Message                 Date: 07-Nov-99  @  10:29 AM   -   Creating Beats

karibe

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm wanting to know what do I really need to create some fat beats I have no hardware except for a computer with alot of memory. What all do I need to get started and how much would it cost.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/115                 Date: 16-Nov-99  @  09:12 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

There's this surreal human voice reciting some odd lines then it disappears in a flurry of distortion then the beat comes in. Hard to describe but its the intro for the track that I'm doing now. I hadn't thought to give a rythmic cue at the end. I'll try incorporating that into it tonight and see if it will add the necessary anticipation. The end of the track kind of thins out to single elements that swap rapidily from one to another then disappear all of a sudden so I guess that will be perfect for DJ'ing. As far as dynamics yeah I think I got that and then some. I usually have to tone the whole thing down a few times as I'm working on it cuz I end up going nuts then have no room for bass. In the end I just trim and trim and trim until I get a dynamic sound with fewer elements. Less is more sometimes. Anyhow, thanks. This gives me something new to think about as I wrap this track up.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/115                 Date: 17-Nov-99  @  09:47 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

stephenb

Nice one R-tek. Thats the first time I've read a detailed post about the relationship between making club music and DJ'ing.

This applies to all club orientated music. As a DJ, the amount of tracks I wanted to implement into a set but didn't due to their DJ unfriendliness was ridiculous.
Most DJ's seem to overcome this by ignoring it, they concentrate solely on beat matching and don't seem to care about key clashes or the resultant noise they create. Then again, most DJ's don't even seem to be capable of beat matching!

Cutting in records can be just as creative as beat matching, so if it ain't going to mix - don't mix it!

Of course, everybody at Dancetech will be producing tunes with long percusive intros and outros from now on so DJ's can mix and chop 'till their hearts content!

Message 23/115                 Date: 18-Nov-99  @  05:04 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

being a good dj is really about the tunes u play and nothing more but, it really pisses me off when u pay good money 2 see a big name dj and all they do is mix one tune into the next with just the x-fader (no EQ, no seguing, nothing) and as u rightly said Steve, a lot of the buggers cant even manage that properly. I definately prefer the smooth, seamless approach but a good dj, when they get busy on the fader, can cause dancfloor devestation just by cutting between the tracks and dropping various elements into the mix. If iI hear a dj fuckup a mix it dont bother me as long as I know their trying which (trying to work the records)is something very few of `em in d+b at least dont seem 2 do anymore.................steve - is that DMA design, as in "Lemmings"? And Fresh - u gonna post that tune when its done? Sounds interesting......

Message 24/115                 Date: 18-Nov-99  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

Yeah, It's all done but I'm gonna let it sit for a while then go back in a couple of weeks and remix it. That usually keeps me from getting ear fatique on the mixdown.

BTW, I'd really like to get into DJ'ing as a second hobby but I wouldn't know where to start. Have you done any of it R-Tek? Anyone have input about how to start off DJ'ing? I got all the gear I need to do it I guess just not the faintest clue how to start.

Message 25/115                 Date: 18-Nov-99  @  06:26 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

I aint ever played out (jungle jock saturation in the UK) but my mixing`s fine and I can post a message on the very basics if u want Fresh. And if u need more help, just post another message and I`ll fill u in on intermediate technique....I`m always floating about on this site somewhere..........

Message 26/115                 Date: 18-Nov-99  @  07:37 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

wai

On some records with synth/ vocal intros or whatever but without drums, the time signiture or whatever you call it is the same as the main track itself. You just have to practice at home and see which ones that are b4 playing live.
When i mix, i love to mix from the intro so when the drums stop on the other record, the new record's drums kick in, or something else happens on the new record i.e. new verse. That's when you know when you got a good mix. In Da Fucking mix!!
It's mainly about timing personally speaking.
R-Tek, you'll be able to hear what i mean cus i sent you that cd today (thurs) at last....

Message 27/115                 Date: 19-Nov-99  @  04:25 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

wheresbob

Link?: Link

Yep....I practice by remixing everyday songs....did a remix of Block Rockin Beats by the Chem Bros that came out pretty wild. I start it off with a loop I yanked out of a Zep album...also mixed in ZZ Top, Sugar Ray, a Hendrix guitar solo and anything else I could grab.

If yer curious you can grab it from a link at:

www.mp3.com/digitaloverdrive

I'm just starting to lay DnB tracks....that remix has cool drums...but not really DnB.

Overdrive

Message 28/115                 Date: 19-Nov-99  @  11:34 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

a

Link?:  Link

I don't like Fuity Loops filters.
I don't like compressed sound.
I don't like fruity fx.
But it's good apps

Message 29/115                 Date: 19-Nov-99  @  12:28 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

Wai - You`ve misunderstood what I said. Synth intros r fine cos they r always phrased 2 the rest of the song, I was talking about synth intros that fade in from the start so that its impossible 2 actually cue from, cos even when u turn yer cans right up u cant tell where the actual beginning of the track is. Check "The Pulse" or "Killa Beez" 2 see what I mean. All they had 2 do was put a little hat at the very beginning of the tune but they didn`t so u have 2 cue from further on.

Message 30/115                 Date: 19-Nov-99  @  07:04 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

I'll definitely take you up on that technique, R-Tek. I don't have good enough turntables but I have enough digital type stuff that think I can do live mixing in an alternative way. What's expected of me in order to wow people? How should it sound I mean. If you think that I really need turntables then I can look into it but perhaps I can give it a shot without them at first. I'm all for being different.

For all of you who know what it means to be broke, I am talking shoebox. I need music but don't want to go out an buy 500 dollars worth of records. To start off, I'd like to use stuff that I have and maybe get a few disks that you guys could recommend. Dark agressive jungle is really where my mind is these days. Even a track or two that you know of will get me out there buying the stuff. (I'm in the Boston USA area if geography vs. style is important). My real goal in all of this would be to create an outlet where I can play my own music in clubs. I would do it gradually, trying to get a feel for the mixing part at first. I've been pondering this for about a year and know that it's time that I get out there...somehow.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12

There are 115 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum