0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Vocal samples?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 9

Original Message                 Date: 14-Jun-00  @  11:41 PM   -   Vocal samples?

nickdej

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Anybody know of any sites that have vocal samples(whole songs) on them? I currently need some lyrics to mix with a song.

~n

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/84                 Date: 11-Jul-00  @  08:04 AM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

ggehiere

Link?: Link

Nickdej, here's some more tips:

For the ultimate robot voice, use a vocoder. Lots of
gear has one built in (the Nova does, I think, and the
JP8080 from Roland), or you can use software, such as
Orange Vocoder. Pull out that search engine to find it,
or start at the Shareware Music Machine
(http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/). Look there for PC
software that speaks, (Mac have it built in, that's why
I recommended one).

A friend of mine just found a 'speak and spell' and
sampled it for some of his tracks, which works too.

Have you thought about checking out Mp3.com? You could
either find a female vocalist in your region or town to
hook up with, who would proabbaly love getting exposure
to a new audience, or find good tracks that you'd like
to remix. The author of said track might also be
interested in reaching an expanded audience and lend a
recording of just the vocals to you. Think KLF and that
country singer whose name eludes me at the moment

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/84                 Date: 11-Jul-00  @  09:51 AM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

swanofnever

as someone said above, if you want speak n' spell, analogX put out free software emulation... check their web site...
there's free vocoder software (zerius? something likr that...) but frankly it's a major pain -- you can get front-ends for it but they're fairly buggy... i'd recommend the vocoder in AcidWav, or find a cheap zoom 1201 used (has a vocoder + about 400 other fx)

Message 23/84                 Date: 11-Jul-00  @  12:26 PM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

siva (justinlofling

Link?: Link

What the hell does all of this have to do with Music Theory??? Anyway, to the original poster, the link above is for the Sound Effects Gallery. They have a huge library of almost any sound imaginable. I was running sound for my school's play last year and needed baseball crowd to cheer after a crack of a bat. Anyway I was able to get a crack of a baseball bat and some crowd noise from that site. I took those samples into Cubase, got one of the actors to be the announcer. Threw a lowpass filter over his voice to give it that old time radio effect and I had what I needed. I tried getting the samples of the crowd and bat off of movies, but there were always some fucker saying something. The site above helped me out tremendously. Only downfall is you have to pay for the samples, which are in UK pounds and are pretty expensive. But if you have a deadline and limited resources they may be able to help to out. Of course you get to preview the sounds (so one would think of recording the previews to avoid paying, but the previews are shitty quality). Hope this helps.

Also, don't worry about what others think of you and the way you do things. If thats your way so be it, but don't cheat yourself. This is a great site with a lot of great contributors (Pongoid is one of them). People here will speak their minds, which I think is a good thing (most of the time). You will learn how to take harsh criticism well :-). Don't be discouraged from unwanted comments. Stick around.

Justin

Message 24/84                 Date: 11-Jul-00  @  12:38 PM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

Gh

Another robotic voice tip.

Go out to a toy store and pick up one of those children's bullhorns that have a couple of buttons to change the sound. Talk/sing into it while recording it through a microphone. Apply some basic effects in CoolEdit or Soundforge like reverb, echo, etc. Maybe apply a DirectX plugin to it. After this, you'll have instant robotic voice that can either be harsh or quite dreamy.

A friend did this during a live show and it was just absolutely cool. He used the same setup as above, but applying the effects using an fx box instead of the sample editor.

Nickdej, the biggest expense for you in this is the microphone - around $60-100. Yet you'll have one for the future to use for whatever you need. If that's still too much for you at the moment, run out to Radioshack and pick up one their cheapies. Again, my friend who did the above robotic voice technique used a cheap ass Radioshack microphone.

It all goes to show that it's how you work the sound, not always what equipment you have.

Message 25/84                 Date: 11-Jul-00  @  10:42 PM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Flip, what is my chip? When you've played out enough times, or just spent enough time seeing live acts, writing music, offering it to others, etc., and spent enough time around DJ's at parties, clubs, and shops you will see the dynamics of the business, and how grossly musicians and the art itself are mistreated on a regular basis by most everbody involved. Then you will understand, and probably carry the same chip.

Who died and made me Moral Guardian of the musical creation process? Get a clue. Where did you get your ideas about artisitic integrity from? A crackerjack box? Maybe you don't give a shit about music, what it can do, what it does, why it works, and the importance of progress in the art. Maybe you just don't understand these things. I do. I also care enough about others to try to point them in directions that will help them grow in a positive, non-exploitative manner, even if I come off as unpleasant at times.

Exploitation, and lack of passion make music just another watered down commodity, and weaken everything that every musician does. It cheapens music, makes everyone take it for granted. How can you not see that? I don't understand how that can't occur to you. How dare you attack me for caring about the artform and the efforts involved enough to stand up and call 'bullshit' when I see it? What the fuck is wrong with you?

King of the hill, my ass. I'm just another musician, out there doing it. The fact that folks here respect what I have to say is no small thing in my book, and might have something to do with the fact that I've been making music for quite a while, and posting here for years, literally. King of the Hill is Kilo. Always has been. His site. Honestly, the fact that he hasn't booted me off it once or twice sometimes amazes even me.

I'm not going to go into the Andy Warhol debate again. That was last month.

Young Nick, the world certainly does not revolve around me, but I've revolved with it enough to learn a thing or two, and one is to not sit there with my thumb up my ass when I've been offended. You just trounced right on in here, not really feeling out what folks are about, and without thinking suggested something very offensive to people that take what they do quite seriously. Wouldn't you be offended if I asked you where I could find fuck pics of your cousin and a donkey for sale, or free on the web? And you think I'm the asshole? Come on. Just accept the fact that you fucked up, and said the wrong thing in the wrong place, pissed a few folks off, take your lickins, and enjoy the opportunity to learn something beyond such petty goals as simply selling a piece of shit track to rock a dancefloor of idiots for five minutes with the same old garbage sounds and ideas as the last ten guys. Really, there's more to music than that. If you can't see that, then fuck you very much. You don't need to be posting here because you're a lost cause. You're not even worthy of being a DJ, let alone a producer, and even less a musician. So what's it gonna be?

Ape

Message 26/84                 Date: 12-Jul-00  @  12:46 AM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

flipgibbs

well, i disagree. now, i may be new to the music scene, but i went to art school. i know all about the self-righteous nonsense you're spouting. from my experience, when it comes to art, people can become so desperate to convince themselves that what they're doing is important that they become completely embittered when their "devotion" to their art is somehow challenged. not that they're not devoted, or that their art isn't important, but they become too caught up in worrying about just how devoted/important they are versus every other slob trying to put out a track or paint a picture or whatever. it's happened to friends of mine. they're bitter. they're great painters, but they're bitter, and i think it hurts them.

if you ask me, your attitude runs counter to the very nature of art. what do they always say? "there's no such thing as bad art?" so why get angry about it? if, in your mind, everyone elses methods are inferior, then so be it. but believe me, they're not "hurting" the great miasma that is art by doing what they're doing. there's no such thing as cheapening art. that's the problem with artists. once you get into that mode (of being an artist), you forget that most of the world's denizens aren't in the same mode. whether it's music or visual arts or whatever, people just want to hear/see things that make them happy. most of the time they don't care how the object of their affection got there, they're just happy it's there. that's the beauty of it. frankly, it's only the artists, at odds with one another, who care about the process (generally speaking). but isn't the point of making music to have people listen to it? so if this guy uses a vocal CD and bangs out a track that a bunch of "idiots" go mental to, what did he do wrong? he's pleased some "idiots?" give me a break and get off your damn high horse. do you think they give a rat's ass whether or not he used a sample CD?

it's as if you and i were lumberjacks, and you got pissed off because i cut down my tree with a chainsaw while you cut down yours with a hand saw. guess what buddy, the end result is two chopped up trees either way. so what's the point in complaining about how they came to be cut down? my sneaking suspicion is that it all boils down to a fear that someone is moving in on your territory without, in your mind, paying their dues. but, at the risk of repeating myself, art doesn't care how it was made.

peace.

Message 27/84                 Date: 12-Jul-00  @  01:50 AM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

nickdej

Pongoid

Like I said before I asked a question, and I got abuse. What the hell am I susposed to do?

Why are you so anti commercial, ie people who have made it in the industry?

You got ALOT of people against what you said on this thread dude, think.

Message 28/84                 Date: 12-Jul-00  @  03:26 AM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

Pongoid

One of us missed something here. I'm not saying that my methods are the be all end all, and the rest is inferior, dude. You're totally missing the point here. You're treating this form of music like some packaging for a drug experience that you just throw away after the high is gone and the club is closed. You think it's cool to just create some throw-away piece of shit just for some cheap high and a couple bucks? When did that become cool? What happened to spending a lifetime honing your craft, whatever it may be, always striving to better oneself? Is that just too archaic an ideal for kids in this day and age?

Who said there's no such thing as bad art? Whoever they were, they are full of shit up their eyebrows. There's bad/crap art in any medium, and it's the exact same kind of cheap, effortless, disposable package, that gives you no feeling whatsoever, like background noise, that you seem to be espousing as acceptable and valid. To my understanding, the purpose of art is to convey a feeling, first and foremost. The feeling is up to interpretation by the individual, but if there is no feeling, no reaction, no emotional response to a piece, then it IS BAD ART. It is a failure. It is useless. It is simply wasted energy. The only thing it might succeed in is showing the creator, and others what mistake not to repeat. Even that is a maybe.

I never went to artschool, but I know plenty of pretentious musicians, and most of them are that way cuz deep down inside, they really don't care about the artform; they simply care about the image others hold of them.

Method is not important in art? Have you never seen a piece with accompanying documentation/imagery showing how a piece was made, and seen that the method itself was art?

To use your analogy of chainsaws and axes, it would seem a little more accurate to say that yes, two trees got cut down, and both were made into tables. The one cut down with the chainsaw ended up as particle board and although it held the first round of drinks, it got a little damp and fell apart into something utterly useless in five minutes, while the one cut with the axe was honed into a solid top table and will stand the test of time.

Yeah, great lets make the idiots dance? Nah, lets offer the idiots some intelligence. Instead of continually promoting the idea that you have to be an idiot(do loads of chemicals, wear the pretty clothes, be better than everyone else) and do idiot stuff, why not try to change the philosophy a little? Why not create something with a little depth and complexity, that demands a bit of contemplation, makes the listener think a little, rather than pushing him/her in the other direction (i.e. thoughtlessness, base behavior)? Really, dude, you're saying it's cool to continue programming people to be dumb, and to me that't just wrong and fucked up. I don't feel that way. I think it's cool to make people think, and maybe wake them up a little bit, help them to be a little more aware of what's going on in the world around them. Art/music is the vehicle, because the message isn't something you can just put into words and expect to sink in. I would hope you know this.
I don't know too much, but there are a few things I do know. 1) this world is fucked up right now, and needs help. 2) help requires awareness 3) people need to be deprogrammed out of their torper, and woken up to the fact that it takes everyone, including themselves to make an improvement/change. 4) music is the most effective and benign tool I have to accomplish this goal. 5) ignorance/closedmindedness weakens the effectiveness of the tool.

I could go on for hours. I disagree with your ethics. I find them fundamentally flawed. That's not just some egotistical remark. I find the core values behind your comments to be in conflict with mine. I don't need to convince myself of the importance of the medium. It's import is self evident. I don't need to convince myself of the power of the medium. I can raise thousands, even tens of thousands of dollars with this medium to accomplish a goal or aid in fixing a problem, and see the energy at work.

Have you ever played a benefit for a charity? Pulled hundreds even a thousand paying/donating hedz through a door with your name to help fix what you recognize as a problem (hunger/homelessness)? That's what convinces me of the import of the medium, not some fucking ego boosting interview in some stuffy magazine, or the odd bit of asskissing from the audience, but rather seeing several hundred people eat good healthy food that might otherwise not eat so well, or starve. I'm not bitter, I'm just disappointed in your shortsightedness, and your underestimation of my motives and values. I ain't one of you lost artschool friends. I'm a guy out there in the shit, who's been out there in the shit for a long time now, trying to do the right thing, and maybe show others a bit about how and what while I'm at it. Think.

Ape

Message 29/84                 Date: 12-Jul-00  @  03:53 AM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

krisgot

If you can't find vocals, try sampling bits from a song and use it with whatever comes along, pads, bass, etc. Sometimes the instruments add something good to the loop. Avoid anything with drums, though. You can isolate the vocals to some extent by using graphic EQ and boosting the mid range.

Pongoid, I must agree with deltasleep. Dance music or electronic music for that matter is not brain surgery and it's hardly even art. So if you're such a busy pro, how come you're on this site all the time, slagging people off?

Message 30/84                 Date: 12-Jul-00  @  04:14 AM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

Pongoid

Kris,
Maybe you don't put a lot of effort into your pieces, if you have ever done any. You sound like a DJ, and a fucking scumbag one at that. Electronic music not brain surgery? You ever study psychoacoustics, additive harmonic synthesis, or any serious engineering beyond turning up the channel on your scratchmaster? I didn't think so. I post here, cuz I feel like it, and I don't need a day job. Now why don't you run along and get fucked? You definately don't belong here. Barely an art? Dude, you shame yourself. I pity your closed eyes, and deaf ears. I'm sure that there aren't too many people here who you haven't offended with you ignorant and heinous remarks. It will come back to you, rest assured.

Ape

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 9

There are 84 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum