0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Why do people DJ live?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 31-Mar-00  @  04:38 AM   -   Why do people DJ live?

nickdej

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Why is it that when electronic music is played live that people use records? Wouldnt it make more sense to use a keyboard? Could somebody please explain this to me

Thanks

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/51                 Date: 19-Apr-00  @  02:00 PM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

obviously you didn't read the strap-on related post, did you? I didn't think so, cuz if you did, you wouldn't go assuming that what I was saying equated to "DJ's don't create." Sure they do, but what they create is a mood. Very few DJ's are being very creative these days. Don't hand me this "you don't understand DJ culture bullshit", kid. You don't know how well I understand it. I live it every day. Most DJ's with half a brain give me respect on first meeting me, because they know that at the end of the day, without us (the musicians [notice I did not say producers or engineers]) there is NO music. Period. My mind is plenty open to callin Beat Jugglers like Roc Raida and q-bert, who use the turntable like a very manual sampler, and that's cool, but they are very much the exception rather than the rule. Sasha, or Carl, they are just music presenters and showcasers, putting forward what their ego's consider to be the 'dope shit' as it were. Sorry, dude. That shit doesn't impres me. I can match a beat and rock a crowd with records too, but I'm not playing the latest release by the next big thing because I'm more into pushing the creative envelope and supporting others that are rather than just feeding people what they've been programmed to accept as cool, so I don't get booked to play the big, glitzy glamorous gigs. Let's not get into new instruments, cuz until you've seen STOMP live, you really can't grasp that concept. If you have, then you might sing a different tune. Please don't think I'm considerring you totally ignorant, but before you go assuming things by my comments, read the other posts I've done regarding this topic. In the meantime, even Roc Raida and Kid Capri gotta snatch their beats from somewhere. Neither of them play drums to my knowledge. If I'm mistaken about that drum thing, I'll eat my words, but as for the DJ as musician thing? Pfffft, yeah right dude. Let's just think about that one again.

Ape

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/51                 Date: 19-Apr-00  @  02:01 PM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

Pongoid

obviously you didn't read the strap-on related post, did you? I didn't think so, cuz if you did, you wouldn't go assuming that what I was saying equated to "DJ's don't create." Sure they do, but what they create is a mood. Very few DJ's are being very creative these days. Don't hand me this "you don't understand DJ culture bullshit", kid. You don't know how well I understand it. I live it every day. Most DJ's with half a brain give me respect on first meeting me, because they know that at the end of the day, without us (the musicians [notice I did not say producers or engineers]) there is NO music. Period. My mind is plenty open to callin Beat Jugglers like Roc Raida and q-bert, who use the turntable like a very manual sampler, and that's cool, but they are very much the exception rather than the rule. Sasha, or Carl, they are just music presenters and showcasers, putting forward what their ego's consider to be the 'dope shit' as it were. Sorry, dude. That shit doesn't impres me. I can match a beat and rock a crowd with records too, but I'm not playing the latest release by the next big thing because I'm more into pushing the creative envelope and supporting others that are rather than just feeding people what they've been programmed to accept as cool, so I don't get booked to play the big, glitzy glamorous gigs. Let's not get into new instruments, cuz until you've seen STOMP live, you really can't grasp that concept. If you have, then you might sing a different tune. Please don't think I'm considerring you totally ignorant, but before you go assuming things by my comments, read the other posts I've done regarding this topic. In the meantime, even Roc Raida and Kid Capri gotta snatch their beats from somewhere. Neither of them play drums to my knowledge. If I'm mistaken about that drum thing, I'll eat my words, but as for the DJ as musician thing? Pfffft, yeah right dude. Let's just think about that one again.

Ape

Message 23/51                 Date: 19-Apr-00  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

influx

manipulator. thats what a DJ is. manipulator of
pre-recorded sounds. some write their own shit, but very
few.

manipulator of energy, too, but using other peoples stuff
to do it.

Pongoid said something about the DJs who jump on the
newest hottest shit to come out in their genre. Ive often
wondered about this when i go out to see a name I know
(and have liked in the past based on track selection and
style) and I end up being blasted with a constant barrage
of same-sounding big farting basslines and the stock
beats. I cant BELIEVE how far the Amen break has gone...

but anyway..again, I saw Dara last night, who I have kept
up with over the years, since the "renegade continuum"
mix came out, which I am still totally in love with. THAT
stuff..the Future Forces shit, etc, took a LOT of thought, as
does all GOOD jungle. the shit on those mixes is equally
at home at a party or rockin in the car on a trip to the
mountains..and Daras mix skills are impressive, too.
Since then, he has steadily embraced the "NOW" sound of
DnB which is sounding more and more like Slayer every
time I hear it.

Do I question him for the change? I dont know..cuz in a
way, he is nothing but a mirror, and has no choice to play
whats "The Shit" if he wants to keep his name around,
but then again..the stuff from the past...is it all crap now?
Is only the NEW groundbreaking shit any good? I say NO,
and Im disappointed in the DJs who think differently.

anyway..sorry for the rant..as an answer to the original
post...

why dont people just bring a keyboard? 

well..you clearly havent done much production yet. A lot
of the stuff you hear, well..one man just couldnt do it.
pongoids gonna shit but its true. The majority of the
tracks are written in the studio and processed all to hell,
and to try to get them out live would be quite difficult, a
task that most producers wont tackle.

more often than not, it is simply not ONE keyboard doing
the whole thing, but a whole slew of synths, samplers, FX,
processors, etc, and would take way more than one
person to get it all together.

does that answer your ?

as for the Producer vs engineer vs musician thing? Im not
even gonna touch that cuz unless you can manipulate a
musical instrument in a controlled fashion, you are not a
musician in my eyes. this, sadly, excludes me..I consider
myself more of a "manipulator" than anything and im
ashamed of it at present, but working on changin this
aspect.

someone once said that if you dont really know music,
but are writing it, then youre "fakin the funk"...and for
some reason it struck a nerve, and seemed directed at
me...

maybe some DJs should take a look at this too

Message 24/51                 Date: 19-Apr-00  @  05:03 PM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

casparproject

DJ'ing=Skill/Coordination
Producing=Talent/Musicality

Message 25/51                 Date: 21-Apr-00  @  04:07 AM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

DR

man all this stuff sucks...
Dj's there Dj's there.. I think we have to seperate the Dj's. If you take the normal little club dj well, he'z not much off an artist now is he?. Take q-bert or thosse guys then it's another point. They'r people that have expanded the use off Turntables and are very creattive and have a musical mind sort off.
In my eyes they are true artists perhaps not muscians but artists... mann dj-s suck... They all do it for the money or the puzzy,, damn idits.

Message 26/51                 Date: 21-Apr-00  @  07:05 PM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

djkandy

Link?: Link

Pongoid must not have really listened to Sasha for him to say that he is not a talented musician. Sasha & Digweed are like opposite personalities: Sasha wants to be the center of attention & Digweed takes on a more subtle, low-key approach to playing/producing music. I think you should listen to Sasha: Ibiza and Digweed: Hong Kong before you go and make any more comments about certain dj's, it's a sensitive subject when you get into philosophical art of progressive trance, and the necessity to plan and program each set in a key-matched fashion, before ever hitting the decks live. It takes coolness, coordination, calmness, all the c-words sometimes, but it's still an art and a music-form.

Message 27/51                 Date: 21-Apr-00  @  09:09 PM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

nobody

the same points KEEP popping up again & again.

everyone said their own version now??

if i had the chance i'd pound sasha's little head into quivering jellylike.

and don't tell me to shut up. i haven't offended you. if i had offended you i'd know it & i wouldn't have done so without good reason. kicking the crap out of sasha has been this concept i've been toying with for.. ages, apparently. of course it'll never happen, i'll never go anywhere within miles of any of his garbage crap music... hehe.. yes that's what i said.

love ya  

Message 28/51                 Date: 22-Apr-00  @  02:34 AM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

jj

well kid (thats you pongoid), I don't even CONSIDER hipster club dj's or their ilk. I also don't consider many of the people that I know who can rip on an instrament to really be musicians. Those dudes are dead in the water.

From what I hear you shouting, it sounds more like you object to the form of djing. Which is understandable. It is very objectionable. Bye bye.

Message 29/51                 Date: 24-Apr-00  @  06:39 PM   -   DEEEJJAYSSSS

tom

Dj's are good, but they will never know what a C#sus9 or a Bbaug9 is. Now would they really know how to tell the difference between a rhodes piano and a guitar.

Message 30/51                 Date: 24-Apr-00  @  06:39 PM   -   DEEEJJAYSSSS

tom

Dj's are good, but they will never know what a C#sus9 or a Bbaug9 is. Now would they really know how to tell the difference between a rhodes piano and a guitar.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 51 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum