0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: What makes Goa, Goa

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 28-Feb-00  @  11:25 PM   -   What makes Goa, Goa

AietaD

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I know its a place, and Ive listed to MP3.com examples, but all I come away with is speed techno. Theres obviously alot more going on, but what?

What are the rudiments of Goa, if theres such a thing, or the scales at work here/there.

If possible a grid definition, or any other pointers would be appreciated

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/68                 Date: 06-Mar-00  @  04:38 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

nobody

Link?:  Link

there's a restaurant called sitar in branford, CT next door to Orchard Hill natural market on Rt. 1. yep, sure is

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/68                 Date: 06-Mar-00  @  06:09 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

There's also one in Nashville right near Vanderbilt University. yup, uh-huh. More people down there eat at the Cracker Barrel, tho.

Message 23/68                 Date: 06-Mar-00  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

nobody

haha! there's a cracker barrel restaurant/crapgift shop not too far away.. don no how many people eat thar tho.. kind of a truckstop type menu. strictly grease & lard ya?

great place this green one

Message 24/68                 Date: 06-Mar-00  @  08:29 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

Well here we are in the music theory forum talking about sitar and cracker barrel restaurants. How do we do it? There used to be a sitar restaurant near the UN. They creep into towns like Steven King characters.

I used to listen to a lot of avant garde jazz too. Coltrane "Meditations"...everything Coltrane really..."Kulu Se Mama" Miles, Ayler, Roland-Kirk, Art Ensemble of Chicago, wish I could remember half of them. I saw Sunny Murry (Ayler's drummer) play on Halloween @ midnight in The Lady's Fort on bond street. I think I smoked some reefer with Rashid Ali outside his club one night. My friend said I had him laughing in stitches but I barely remember standing next to him. Hope he was laughing with me as opposed to at me. My friend and I bought Elvin Jones a tall scotch on his break one night and watched him drink it down like a football player downs gatorade. His hands were huge I remember. Nice to be able to share this stuff with with someone who knows all these musicians.

Message 25/68                 Date: 06-Mar-00  @  08:36 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

The last 3 notes of that phrase. For anyone unfamiliar with the song, because of the contraints of a keyboard image format I couldn't go back to a previous octave in clicking a couple of notes in the phrase even though they were played that way in the song.

Message 26/68                 Date: 06-Mar-00  @  10:26 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

Lester Bowie (RIP) was from here but hadn't been to his hometown in a long time. Around '85, I believe, the Art Ensemble did a show here, one of the most amazing things I've seen live, and everybody that knew Bowie as a kid showed up to hit him up for money & shit. I think he stayed away pretty much after that. Maybe a little earlier, actually, around the time of Urban Bushmen. Man, how'd you like to sample some "breakbeats" off that stuff  

Message 27/68                 Date: 07-Mar-00  @  12:50 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

I saw Art Ensemble at the Kitchen in NY. I remember congas. I didn't know Lester Bowie died. Too bad. Sampling some sounds from them is a great idea. I wonder if their cds are available. Damn you were right on top of things. I didn't go much for "straight jazz". Although all of Coltranes early stuff was golden to me. He had that sound and a gift with melody. Same with Charlie Parker. But stuff like swing and big band jazz as well as modern mainstream never did it for me. Ever listen to Eric Dolphy? These people were madmen. Thelonius Monk...I must have listened to different versions of "Little Rootie Tootie" a thousand and one times. That dissonant "chord" for lack of a better word banged out on the piano 3 times between each phrase was shear genius. Cracked me up.

Message 28/68                 Date: 07-Mar-00  @  08:45 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

AietaD

Link?:  No link

Thanx sitar & damballah, informative reading and the jazz stuff too.

Message 29/68                 Date: 07-Mar-00  @  11:22 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

Don't mention it. Gives me a charge to talk about this stuff with someone.

Message 30/68                 Date: 07-Mar-00  @  12:25 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

Yeah, sitar, Dolphy, Monk, Trane, Bird... all that stuff. Started with Bitches Brew and worked both forward and back. Never got much back past the 50s, it started sounding like "parent music." I knew a lot of people who were into that whole CTI Bob James/Grover Washington thing, but I couldn't hack that. Sounded like cocktail music for polite, well-dressed people & I liked an edge. I first got curious about Dolphy 'cause Zappa had a song on Weasels Ripped My Flesh called The Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue or something like that. Frank got a lot of rock fans to take a look at jazz, using players like Jean Luc Ponty and George Duke in his band, and putting out stuff like Hot Rats and The Grand Wazoo. Seduce 'em with humor and then screw with their heads.

At the Art Ensemble show I saw, everyone had percussive stuff to beat on and three of them had cages with all kinds of percussion stuff. And everyone but Bowie and the sax player (Jarman?) had on tribal face paint. Quite a experience, 'ey.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 68 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum