0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: punchy kick drums

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 29-Nov-00  @  03:16 PM   -   punchy kick drums

bassbrap

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

how do i make my kick drums sound better? i have been trying everything: eq, hp filter, compression, adding transient waves in tune with the bassline.... no matter how hard i try, my kicks sound all muddy in the mix, i cannot get that good "thud", nor can i get the kick to blend well with the bass. i usually use 909 samples or other 909-type kicks running out of my ASR-10.

thanks

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/59                 Date: 05-Dec-00  @  03:18 AM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

phunkytek

I get my kicks punchy useing it's own channel strip on the mixer. So I can eq it and mix it independant from any other sound. Try setting the eq to lowshelve and boost it 3-4Db at 30-45Hz. This actualy boost everything under 45. so it doesn't realy change the sound of the drum but pumps the vibration from the sub harmonics into the mix and thus you have that hit in your chest but the drum is clear and crisp. works great and 909 samples are my staple diet these days.

Hey k, Are the emax's filters midi controlable.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/59                 Date: 05-Dec-00  @  05:22 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

r-tek

the emax and sp1200 are slightly different soundwise - the sp has higher quality DACs and according to that bloke that seems to know everything over at the gas station, stores it samples as true 12 bit whilst the emax does it in 8. But the SPs sample rate tops out at 22khz whilst the emax will go upto 42 (I think). The SP has shittyily fixed filter frequencies on the outs too sans rez.....and fuckall memory, but I guess its only for drums so it dunnae matter so much. If memory serves, you can assign controllers to all sorts of things on the emax, including the filter frequency.....tho I may be wrong. Nice sampler, getting old now tho and storing everything on floppy might do your head in.

Message 23/59                 Date: 05-Dec-00  @  10:22 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

0/d

Link?:  Link

i normally get punchy kicks at home with the parametric eq in the sampler,you have to resample and do it 4 to 8 times to get it just right,and its worth doing loads of times espeacially if its a crap kick(but a nice one)draw out its nice frequencies and tell the horrible ones to fuck off.its always best to get the raw sound sounding as good you can before you start putting fx on.

Message 24/59                 Date: 06-Dec-00  @  06:48 AM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

k

yeah it's all midi assingnable, VERY punchy drum sample player they are so cheap now, get a rack and you'd be in thumping drum heaven

Message 25/59                 Date: 06-Dec-00  @  11:04 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

phunkytek

Do you think it will sound better than my e4? It supports e3 format too right. I guees i could export my presets as e3 and load them into the emax. 8 megs is plenty for a dedicated drum sampler. Is it scsi?

Message 26/59                 Date: 06-Dec-00  @  11:47 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

r-tek

uhhh.....the e4 is like the emax4, and e3 format is the native format for the emax3 so theres no way the emax1 will read emax3 samples I`m afraid   8 megs? Half a meg more like. No scsi - its has this rs23..something or other but you willnae find anything to hook it upto nowadays.......mebbe an old mac with that old digidesign SW so unless you pick up an emaxHD, its floppy or nowt.I would say sound for sound, the emax sounds way better than the e4 due to that certain 12bit something you cant put yer finger on and those analogue filters (lopass only). For some reason, 12 bit samplers seem to have a higher fidelity sound if you sample with the highest sample rate, dunno why.......prolly just perceived more than anything cos they bite a bit harder than 16bit.....but course you can do more with modern samplers soundmangling wise. They *really* should make a modern 12 bit sampler but with all the facilites we`re used to nowadays, it`d be quite a piece if they goddit right.

Message 27/59                 Date: 06-Dec-00  @  11:52 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

nobody

Link?:  Link

rs-232

i think my old ST had that for monitor?

something

maybe amiga

Message 28/59                 Date: 07-Dec-00  @  06:27 AM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

phunkytek

I sent a memo to emu asking them to impliment 12bit-support in their samplers, and i thought it would be nice if all these multi-track sequencing software developers would allow you to run 12 bit on tracks next to 24 bit. 12bit on drum tracks and higher for accoustics and vocals. Everything I've read about the old 12bits is the that they sound more processed and gritty, not better fidelity though. I think the filters definatly have something to with it. My e4 sounds fat as hell. i do everything with it now. I sample my nova, 101, juno 106, and bass station. And run it throught the filters on the emu. I prefer the sound. It's envelops are fast and the filters girgle and sound very analog. The patches sound exactly like the original with out all the line noise and cv/gate problems. Modulation is a snap. And layering is awsome. I'm in the middle of sampling all of the settings of my analogs with the filter open and rez off so i can emulate them properly. They make the best presets. I have an ultra on the way with an Rfx card and then i'm selling all my gear except my two samplers. I can even create preset synth parts with the vst instument demos and stomper sofware.

Message 29/59                 Date: 10-Dec-00  @  01:28 AM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

r-tek

untill it died, I ran an emax alongside my e4 and imo at least, the emax sounded clearer and crisper than the e4 at the highest sample rate. The 16bit emus seem to lack a little highend definition in comparison to others, especially akai.I`d hold off from seeling an efx boxes you have to be honest for now at least - looking at the pdf for the rfx at emus site, there dont seem to be too many efx algorithms on it yet so it still might need some help.

Message 30/59                 Date: 10-Dec-00  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

casparproject

Link?: Link

I had an emax for a brief period.
Great analog filters, but less than a
meg of sampling? Ouch. Fine for
drums, and that's about it.

Peaceout,

Peter

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 59 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum