0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: 01v or more outboard gear??

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 08-Feb-01  @  11:28 AM   -   01v or more outboard gear??

fink

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

i need more effects, another compressor and a patchbay. so more outboard gear as i'm lacking in that dept.

however, i also want an o1v mixer but financially i'm not quite ready.

so should i put the money for the outboard gear towards the 01v instead.

i underatdn the 01v has effects, compressors and an internal patchbay. can anyone tell me the quality of the 01v in relation to some half decent outboard gear.

does the 01v have seperate compressions and effects on each channel??

is the patchbay a pain??

thanks for your advice

fink

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/29                 Date: 11-Feb-01  @  02:20 PM   -   RE: 01v or more outboard gear??

Rowboffin

Yeah, that's right. The omni outs on my 01V are almost permanently fed the aux sends but you could feed them the mix buses and patch in a compressor on the way to your recorder. That makes it possible to compress a group at mix down which is a useful thing to be able to do.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/29                 Date: 11-Feb-01  @  08:19 PM   -   RE: 01v or more outboard gear??

influx

Link?:  Link

I stand corrected

Message 23/29                 Date: 12-Feb-01  @  02:37 PM   -   RE: 01v or more outboard gear??

99devils

Yeah, you just sometimes have to be
creative about how you do things, but
all in all this mixer puts more power in
people's hands for less money than any
other that I can think of.

-Craig

Message 24/29                 Date: 13-Feb-01  @  11:52 AM   -   RE: 01v or more outboard gear??

fink

disturbing that the 01v can't sync it's effects to midi.

is there such thing as software revisions on the 01v??

looks like i'll be getting one anyway 'cause all this talk has excited me.

no midi sync though??

Message 25/29                 Date: 13-Feb-01  @  07:48 PM   -   RE: 01v or more outboard gear??

Rowboffin

I think Yamaha provided some software updates but I don't think they continue to do so now. The mixer you buy now should already have the latest OS anyway. The fact that the FX don't sync to MIDI clock has never proved an inconvenience to me since as someone has already mentioned you can set the tempo for all the time based FX and then specify the delay time or whatever in terms of musical values (8th notes, 16th notes, 8th note triplets and so on). So if your piece is a constant tempo the lack of sync is not an issue cos the FX will be in sync anyway providing you set the right values. If however your piece includes an abrupt tempo change then you can use a program change message to change the tempo settin for the effect (and/or the time value/bar sub-division value if you wish). The only situation in which the lack of sync would be an issue is if the tempo changes gradually during the piece, but then any FX device that professes to sync to MIDI clock would be a little shaky during the transition: usually a steady clock is required for the sync to occur properly. And more to the point why would you want to sync the FX during a gradual tempo change? Personally I can't envisage a situation where I would want to do that so it doesn't bother me. It has to be said that the 01V is a brilliant companion to a MIDI sequencer since it responds to and transmits continuous controllers and program changes meaning almost every aspect of a mix can be recorded to the sequencer. One word of warning to anyone thinking of hooking up the 01V to their sequencer: beware MIDI loops due to the sequencer's MIDI soft thru (or echo) cos if you've got both the in and out of the 01V connected then moving a fader will transmit a CC message which will be echoed back to the mixer from the sequencer and the fader will respond. This results in the fader locking and attempting to move the fader against the force of the motor can damage the motor. Its easy to avoid this happening, either by setting the soft-thru on your sequencer off for the MIDI channel the 01V is set to or by ensuring that the 01V is never simultaneously set to transmit CCs and to respond to them. Its something to be borne in mind and i'd hate for anyone to unwittingly fuck up one of their motors before experiencing the joys of mix automation. ;)

Message 26/29                 Date: 19-Feb-01  @  12:20 PM   -   RE: 01v or more outboard gear??

fink

ok, thats cleared that all up then.

finally, anyone ever regret going digital and opt to go back to analogue.

surely there must be some people (those that like to go in the red alot)?

Message 27/29                 Date: 19-Feb-01  @  04:18 PM   -   RE: 01v or more outboard gear??

gb

Not really what you're asking, but...

You can overdrive the 01v inputs. It makes interesting distorted noises given the right signal/gain combination.

(I don't know if this is safe, tho. I asked here at DT earlier but nobody seems to know. And yamaha.com refuse to answer because I'm not from the USA.)

Message 28/29                 Date: 20-Feb-01  @  10:48 AM   -   RE: 01v or more outboard gear??

fink

i'd be really interested to know the answer too, if anyone knows?

Message 29/29                 Date: 20-Feb-01  @  11:53 PM   -   RE: 01v or more outboard gear??

r--tek

well, I possibly fucked up the channels on my old 1604 by overdriving them way too high for way too long. Could`ve been a coincidence cos other bits and pieces started going to shit on it too ...No regrets as yet from going digital, tho I do remember reading in a past thread that someone had ditched the 01v and picked up a mackie - do a search or something.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 29 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum