0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Any point in having 16 stereo channels??

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 07-Nov-00  @  01:45 PM   -   Any point in having 16 stereo channels??

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I'm a little confused by one of my friends buying a mixer with 32 inputs, so basically 16 stereo channels. He writes music with lots of swirly, panning sounds, from leads to basic blips and abstract sounds, and probably uses quite a few stereo channels. I realise that you don't need stereo for certain sounds, like maybe bass lines, or a kick drum, but I'd imagine using stereo channels for the majority of other sounds, such as general fx and other percussion sounds.

My question is, would it be worthwhile to buy a mixer with more channels than you think you'd need so that you have the option of using all stereo channels? Are there any disadvantages to having all stereo channels?

Ta much,

Si.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/29                 Date: 14-Nov-00  @  10:31 PM   -   RE: Any point in having 16 stereo channels??

Link?: Link

Ahhh, it's alright. I saw the other threads about the 01v. Looks nice.

And thanks DZ, though I'm still a little confused there. If I use some channels as mono, I presume that I don't get individual EQ's on them? Would this be right?

Cheers,

Si.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/29                 Date: 15-Nov-00  @  03:56 AM   -   RE: Any point in having 16 stereo channels??

influx

if you got something that had SIXTEEN individual channels (not pre-paired as stereo links where ONE strip runs L/R)..you just pan em left and right for a stereo sound.

and..the O1v, well..it sounds very good. a LOT of page flipping, gets a little annoying, but for what you get for the bucks you spend...mmm hmmmm!

Message 23/29                 Date: 15-Nov-00  @  02:09 PM   -   RE: Any point in having 16 stereo channels??

Defector Z

Link?:  No link

default - that is correct. If you look at a mono mixer channel, you have one set of eq's. If you look at a stereo mixer channel, you have only one set of eq's. But that's what I mean about grouping sounds. Keep like sounds together, and you can turn your 2 stereo into 4 mono.

Message 24/29                 Date: 16-Nov-00  @  12:09 AM   -   RE: Any point in having 16 stereo channels??

Nice one DZ  

Cheers for the info guys,

si.

Message 25/29                 Date: 22-Nov-00  @  06:03 AM   -   RE: Any point in having 16 stereo channels??

Ron

Influx: Where did you see an Alesis Studio 32 for $500? The best I've seen is $799, at 8th Street. Or do you mean buying one used?

Speaking of stereo pairs, I currently have a Mackie LM3204. After using it for a year, I think I'd be better off with a mixer with more flexible EQ, and real subgroups. I've done some research, the Alesis Studio 32 seems my best bet. Never mind the channels, I can move a plug. Never mind the stereo, I can use a pan pot.

- Ron.

Message 26/29                 Date: 23-Nov-00  @  04:26 AM   -   RE: Any point in having 16 stereo channels??

influx

used.

Ive bought three of them so far for that price.

try www.recycler.com

the EQ is a little more flexible..but..if you wanna really go, why not look at a 24/8 with a fully parametric eq. well..2 bands are para.

but the alesis..it sounds good, man.

and actually..I can beat that price new for ya, too if you really want one

Message 27/29                 Date: 23-Nov-00  @  08:36 AM   -   RE: Any point in having 16 stereo channels??

teemu

800 dollars for a Alesis Studio 32? They cost 1300 here in Europe and that's a low price...

I hate America ;)

Message 28/29                 Date: 23-Nov-00  @  04:29 PM   -   RE: Any point in having 16 stereo channels??

k

but does that alesis mixer use that surface mount technology?

Message 29/29                 Date: 24-Nov-00  @  11:56 PM   -   RE: Any point in having 16 stereo channels??

influx

and which surface mount technology would that be kilo? something mackie does?

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 29 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum