0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Electronic Music Theory

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 09-Jun-00  @  05:38 PM   -   Electronic Music Theory

deltasleep

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I understand that most if not all electronica implicates SOME sort of established music theory. But is there a hidden theory to some styles? I can understand stuff like house music having a very noticable theory behind it. Or is it just cliches, thats the question.
I think that most electronic musicians have a definite sense of theory when they make music. They just don't ever write it down.
Or is this a Zen sort of thing. Perhaps "a theory of no theory"?

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/26                 Date: 15-Jun-00  @  12:40 AM   -   RE: Electronic Music Theory

pict

Link?:  No link

Western music theory is based on dividing sound up into twelve steps and various divisions of those twelve steps have been more or less popular through the ages.Theory only helps to give you an avenue of exploration when inspiration has gone on holiday most of the tunes that I have ever come up with that I ever felt were worthwhile working on came as a result of rampant improvisation,where theory helps is when you come up against the brick wall of "Uh where do I go now" you know that there are several options available.In electronic music knowing how various waveforms,filters and lfos is only part of the theory of that field,you can come up with sounds that may be great but unless you know how the various parts of a synthesizer work you won't know why they're great or how to reproduce them without writing the settings down,the same goes for an acoustic instrument someone played some notes simultaneously and someone else recorded(by devising music manuscript) how they did it so that it could be reproduced more easily by another individual the difference in electronic music is that new instruments are being developed all the time.The best you can do to equip yourself theoretically is to learn about synthesis and traditional music theory as a previous poster stated but that knowledge is useless without the creative spark.Electronic music relies on an understanding of the nature of sound as well as the nature of music and synths/samplers are the least limited tools for the realisation of that understanding. blah blah blah ad infinitum time to go to bed;)

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/26                 Date: 16-Jun-00  @  02:05 PM   -   RE: Electronic Music Theory

tjader

i think learning the theory is important it will give you colours to work with,things that have been learnt and past on,you can sit at the piano and find things easier,you can hear that record and work out the chord progression..riddim is essential 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 count the bass drum out ,then the snare ,see how the bass works with it ,the length of notes.....study the music you like(bit by bit soon youll understand)..expriement with intruments... and make something new.

Message 23/26                 Date: 18-Jun-00  @  06:04 AM   -   RE: Electronic Music Theory

janil

But blues has been very important in establishing feeling, and the power of individual emotion manifest in a raw musical form. And like someone was saying, you listen to different types of music, generally learn bits of theory and appreciated characteristics of different styles, but ultimately the music we make is very much only partly consicience of the science behind it.

etc. etc., gotta split

later

Message 24/26                 Date: 18-Jun-00  @  09:20 AM   -   RE: Electronic Music Theory

janil

I mean, good sounds, extending styles/creating the new, or even dissolving the very idea of 'style'.

janil

Message 25/26                 Date: 19-Jun-00  @  05:35 PM   -   RE: Electronic Music Theory

Deltasleep

Link?: Link

my style? would you call it the art of music without music?
show me some of it.
har har

Message 26/26                 Date: 20-Jun-00  @  07:37 AM   -   RE: Electronic Music Theory

deltasleep

nothing worse than bruce lee humor i guess.......
I'm all for dissolving styles, though.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum