0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Tech-ed up drum beats?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 12-Aug-01  @  08:01 PM   -   Tech-ed up drum beats?

Mage

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

OK, I knew it already and then Jasper spelled it out for me after listening to the track I mentioned in the music tracks forum, but any suggestions ideas on some good techy drum patterns. I'm a horrible amateur (sp?) at this, so any advice would be appreciated. I'm wanting to make some hard tech-ed out beats to lay down under some grooves that lie on the border of techno and trance (check out my track "Electric Purple" in the mp3z on http://www.sectionz.net)

Thanks!!!

Mage

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/25                 Date: 22-Aug-01  @  12:36 PM   -   RE: Tech-ed up drum beats?

Jasper

Think I spotted your problem, you say your sending a signal from the kick channel and using this on a send/return for the compressor on the other channel?

Compressors should allways be an insert effect, you don't want to send a signal to it then return that signal and mix it in with the channel again because your doubling up, it'll make it sound muddy or just not right (technical term) at best.

You can setup insert effects with cubase no problem, not sure about reason.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/25                 Date: 22-Aug-01  @  07:07 PM   -   RE: Tech-ed up drum beats?

Mage

Hmmm... Ok, I see what you're saying, you can set up insert effects in Reason easily enough, but the compressor in Reason doesn't have any side chain of CV inputs. Oh well, I guess once I've got Reason down, I'll learn Cubase...

Message 23/25                 Date: 24-Aug-01  @  11:04 AM   -   RE: Tech-ed up drum beats?

Jasper

Well half the battle is just the knowledge of how an effect works, you've probably got more important stuff to get to grips with first I reckon.

Message 24/25                 Date: 25-Aug-01  @  12:09 PM   -   RE: Tech-ed up drum beats?

shpongledboy

Hey Jasper... are the db-audio compressor and the mda freeware? and where can I find these? Or is there more compressors that can send and recieve triggers?

Thanks.  

Message 25/25                 Date: 26-Aug-01  @  07:19 PM   -   RE: Tech-ed up drum beats?

damballah

Link?: Link

there's some free db stuff here if you use the site sections menu, go to samples/files and search for VST. that particular compressor/gate/expander, I do believe, is one you gotta buy though. if I remember right, it's US$100 for the whole suite (go ahead, they're all good).

Yes, use compressors as inserts, not effects. There's an exception to this, but I'm not saying because it'll only confuse things.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 25 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum