0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: new sector movement(broken beats)

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 19-Jul-01  @  08:34 PM   -   new sector movement(broken beats)

ging

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

any one programming "broken beats" alar .new sector movement,afronault.type stuff.i dont have the luxury of sampling the beats or slowing um down (and counting)so any tips midi files ,patterns ect is much appricated.ging

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/24                 Date: 27-Oct-01  @  10:36 AM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

xoxos

Link?: Link

making meself a d/l link  

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/24                 Date: 27-Oct-01  @  11:08 AM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

xoxos

nice illuminatory creepy vibe on your stuff k..

not like i'm a percussive maven or anything, but the feel i thinky ou're on about makes me think of jajouka, or just being in a boat.. (if my claps don't sound like water slapping on the side of a rowboat, they don't get put down) the melodies i come up with more when i'm away from my gear (in-head and more w/ lyrics, so a certain amount of following reference in the words) often have non-'square' patterns, ie. the main verse might be 14 measures long and for the usual 15/16th measure part, goes into a riff that's repeated 3 times for a 6 measure part, then dip into a 2 measure transition to the next bit.. for a 22 measure "verse." all fitting together very smoothly and naturally.

it's like erasure's 'always' has a 17 beat verse but you don't think "17" when you hear it because it's carried by melodic phrasing.. squeezes in the extra "harmony, oh love" bit and it feels right, in a totally pop context.

..and similarly, if you're pounding away on your knees with your fingers off waiting somewhere, i find i'll easily switch between different "licks" that have the same tempo but all add up as completely non-square amounts. just have to stop putting it all in a 'square is neat' box.

yeah.. jajouka emphasises switching between different length repetitions very well. probably some audio on a william s. burroughs fanpage somewhere.

Message 23/24                 Date: 29-Oct-01  @  01:24 AM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

Pongoid

Although interesting observations, that doesn't sound like broken beat philosophy. I'm pretty tight with a few musicians composing broken beat stuff, and most of what I've encountered involves LOTS of breaks, polyrythmic composition, very strong sub-bass, punchy mid-type kicks, extememly complex rythm sequencing, venturing into the jazz realm, pretty minimal on repetition. Folks to check out in that vein would be people along the lines of Venetian Snares, Christoff Frangelli, DJ Anyeurism, any one of Dan Hecate's multiple pseudonymns, some of the records on Infra-bass, and more names that escape me at the moment. I just did a broken beat track myself actually, as an experiment. It should be up in the next few days on my DL site. Check the link. The track is called The Next Attempt.

Ape

Message 24/24                 Date: 13-Nov-01  @  11:02 PM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

influx

Link?:  Link

ok, now I get it. simple breakbeat wasnt good enough, eh? yet another subgenre? gotta admit its pretty funny

Id like to hear some of this. will start lookin

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum