0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Your approach to isolation...Please.

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 03-Oct-00  @  03:06 PM   -   Your approach to isolation...Please.

Defector Z

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Okay - so here's the thing...

I've been doing electronic music for over 2 years now. When I listen to a lot of professional and semi professional mixes, each "instrument" is well isolated. Everything seems to have a spot in the mix. The kik drum never seems to overlap with the bass line, competing synth lines are separate and distinct. I have a lot of trouble doing that. I don't know if my approach is wrong, if I'm simply selecting the wrong patches, or I am just not thinking out the box well enough.

A couple of things I have thought of that seem to have worked a little.

1. Filter the kik drum - remove anything under 80hz, and roll off the top so it doesn't go much higher than say 200. I'm still having trouble with the bass line though, as it often overlaps on the kik. Like the bass is from 60hz to 150. That's only if I'm using a sine. Use something else with a larger spectrum, and it starts overlapping the punch of a snare, or the lows on a thick synth.

2. Patch selection - I often pick a patch because it has a big sound. If I have that sine bass line rumbling, and the patch I select is a big fat synth, it overlaps on the highs of a sine, and though the hats and snares. If I roll off the lows on the synth, I lose the fatness of the synth part.

3. Am I hindering myself at all by recording everything live into the computer? Right now, when i record a track, I play the whole thing live and record it into a stereo track into cubase. So I have to do all the mixing on the desk real time. People have said that this is fine to do it this way - Mike Clarke scolded me for using that as an excuse, and I can see where he's coming from - but I wonder what other opinions are.

Okay that's for starters. What do you all think?

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/23                 Date: 13-Oct-00  @  09:25 PM   -   RE: Your approach to isolation...Please.

99devils

Link?:  No link

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at. In the case where the effect is an integral part of the sound, you'll need it in there, but things like reverb, leave it off until a more final stage of the mix.

-Craig

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/23                 Date: 13-Oct-00  @  09:42 PM   -   RE: Your approach to isolation...Please.

Defector Z

Link?:  No link

For most of my tracks, I hardly have ANY reverb on. When there's vox, then there's a lot of reverb - gotta cover up for the bad voice, yknowwatahmsayin'?

Message 23/23                 Date: 13-Oct-00  @  11:41 PM   -   RE: Your approach to isolation...Please.

damballah

Link?:  Link

ahherdat!

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum