0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Faith

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Original Message                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  05:37 AM   -   Faith

psylichon

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Persuant to another thread in another forum in another land...

I'm really curious about the kinds of things we put our faith into. There's a lot of talk about various religions and the differences between them lately, but a lot of the talk sounds like a book report. What I mean is, it sounds like well-collected information culled from various readings (most of them from reputable sources, no doubt) used to form an opinion about a subject. The problem is that we can't read everything. And even if we could, reading without bias does not occur. You have an opinion before you start that affects everything that passes through you, and you only take what you feel is important. It just seems like a snowball effect that leaves you old, bitter towards the world, and highly opinionated (often complaining about how others are stubborn in their reasoning... etc....)

I think live, interactive debate cannot be surpassed as a learning experience. To really take in someone else's view on life and the things that are important to them is one of the greatest gifts we have (it's reflected in our music, and subsequent appreciation of each other's creations). The same biases can take place as in reading, but I think the dynamic nature of a conversation eliminates unchecked bias without reason.

Ok, now to my point. I was raised Christian. My mother is very active in the church, and follows very conservative Christian values. I used to be very active in the church with youth groups, mission work, and stuff like that. After the self-exploration that is college, I strayed away (does this sound familiar to anyone?) My mother and I lately have been getting into spiritual conversations, and she is ever more vocal about her disappointment in the direction my beliefs are heading.

I want to know what it is about Christianity that makes it so prevalent in today's society? I mean, millions of people don't choose this lifestyle just because their parents did. I know that Christianity goes deep, I've just never felt it. And I don't want slagging answers from non-Christians... "it's a crutch, a lie, a shame, etc." I've heard all that and I don't learn a thing from it. I want a personal account of why someone puts their faith in Christian ideals.

And so help me if someone accuses someone else of trying to "force" their opinion on others, I'm gonna shit all over you because that stuff just kills the kind of debate that I'm looking for here. And I don't want philosophical ramblings that you've heard and can relate to and they sound cool, but they aren't you. I want only deep ideas that have really been thought out.

This kind of stuff is important to me, so please take this thread seriously. If the lounge is not the place for this kind of discussion, let me know and I'll take it elsewhere....?

Thanks for really thinking about it, guys. This could be really cool...

Dave

p.s. - Yes, Jamie, I know you're the resident Christian here, and I'm kinda hoping you'll help me start things here, if you want...

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 171/188                 Date: 15-Oct-02  @  07:24 AM     Edit: 15-Oct-02  |  07:29 AM   -   RE: Faith

Zazza

Link?:  No link

scientific hat: m-theory DOES look at the pre-big bang reality. And quantum reality does NOT mean that we create our own reality in a material way. What it does seem to imply is that our intuitions, based on the macroscopic, non-quantum, world are insufficient. We are still struggling to understand that nature even as we learn to exploit it. (as usual)

We measure things because, in a very real sense, it works and gives us the power to create things like umm.. computers, synthesizers, aeroplanes etc etc etc

spiritual hat: i largely agree with errata's comments about the trap of conceptualisation, very well said in fact... but we shouldnt fall into the other trap of dismissing the material world, just try to see it in context, as just one aspect of a much greater reality..

peace

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 172/188                 Date: 15-Oct-02  @  06:18 PM   -   RE: Faith

errata

In that we are still acknowledging the stuff as material, I'll agree that measuring the material has a valid point. And i also think that it is merely perspective that has prevented us from measuring in the past. If I can't see beyond the lens of my eye, then I'll never be able to measure the distance from me to you. But if I tune my focus to a broader perspective it becomes a simple matter. I think when we ge there, we'll be surprised at how obvious it was!

Never had much use for transcendence myself. There is nothing to transcend, no here or there! So why meditate on transcending anything? Hehehe, this from a trance musician!

e

Message 173/188                 Date: 15-Oct-02  @  06:24 PM   -   RE: Faith

errata

incidentaly, I didn't mean we should discard the material. Just that measuring things whose measurements seem dependendant on the observer seems to me to be the wrong approach. Now, learning WHY these things seem to follow our predictions rather than a clearly defined physical law, that's the future of "science". And, i think, where we'll find a truer marriage of science and religion than we have today.

e

Message 174/188                 Date: 15-Oct-02  @  08:03 PM   -   RE: Faith

knowa

Link?:  Link

this supposed tension between science and religion really interests me b/c I think it's totally misguided and based on a misunderstanding of what science and religion have to offer.

psy--what's "the new science"? there's nothing "new" about the scientific study of the dali lama's brainstates, though it is interesting and thanks for the link.

I doubt that transcendental meditation will become standard training for scientists in the future. they might try to see if people who meditate score lower on depression inventories or have fewer heart attacks, but I doubt that the *practice* of meditation will in any way affect science education.

not because meditation is uninteresting, but because science is about prediction of external events. eg. "are people who meditate score differently on depression inventories than people who don’t meditate?”

this is a VERY different question than “how can meditatation help me become more happy and satisfied?”

the first is an empirical question. you answer the first by comparing meditators’ scores on a depression measure to those of non-meditators who are as similar as possible to the meditators in every domain except meditation (would be very challenging to do).

The second in a personal question, which is answered, I guess, by trying to learn how to meditate.

I think by "old science" you mean logical positivism/neopositivism which can kinda be summed up the idea that:

"A statement is meaningful if and only if it can be proved true or false...The meaning of a statement is its method of verification; that is we know the meaning of a statement if we know the conditions under which the statement is true or false."

seems like this position is often what people mean by "science" when they say "science says ____". the use of the word "meaning" here has caused all manner of confusion. for "meaning" in this statement, substitute "scientific intelligibility" or something like that, because basically this argument is about what kind of questions *science can answer*, not about the "meaning" in the sense of "making beats is the meaning of my life".

I'm not up for some big epistemology debate but suffice to say that I think there are plenty of meaningful statements that cannot be verified e.g. "through meditiation, I experienced existence in a newly peaceful way". that's not a statement that can be proven true or false, but you'd have to be a real a-hole to dismiss it as meaningless.

similarly, asking “What is the barrier between the finite and the infinite?” is not a scientific question. What would the answer look like? scientists HAVE TO state the answer in advance—“meditiators will score lower or the beck depression inventory” or “meditators will have increased levels of endorphins in their blood”--and then test to see whether their answer/prediction is true or false. I have no idea what form a hypothesis about the “barrier between the finite and the infinite” would take.

again, I’m not saying it’s a dumb question. actually, I don’t think I understand the question. but it’s the kind that’s fun to talk about over some trees.

what I'm saying is that there is no tension between religion and science. and that science will not evolve in such a way that it begins to ask questions about the meaning of life. people may draw upon scienctific theories--physics and psychology esp--when they think about the meaning of life but that's not science.

Message 175/188                 Date: 15-Oct-02  @  08:33 PM   -   RE: Faith

errata

nice point knowa...

How about, Science will lead us to what we no call spiritual understanding in the future.

i would agree that it will not provide this understanding so much as conclusions through scientific methods will point toward spiritual concerns.

e

Message 176/188                 Date: 15-Oct-02  @  10:03 PM   -   RE: Faith

Zazza

I believe anything at all can lead us to a greater spiritual understanding, and that includes science.. it all depends on how we approach it.

Message 177/188                 Date: 15-Oct-02  @  11:02 PM   -   RE: Faith

psylichon

Link?: Link

When I mean the new science, I'm talking about the paradigm shift from classical newtonian physics with a 1:1 ratio between theory and reality, and new physics (new being anything in the past century really), where such a correlation isn't possible. Check out this page for a bit more detail:

http://www.qedcorp.com/pcr/pcr/pq/pq.htm

This guy goes off on a few tangents, but he's got some solid ideas and history there.

Basically, I think that everything in the material world is a reflection, shadow, representation of something we would call supernatural. Scientists cannot directly observe supernatural sources due to the structure of science as it is. I think that structure will evolve and our definition of a "scientist" will change to reflect new understanding of the human condition.

I think knowing the limits of material experience is an important to reaching that goal. Scientists have to know the limitations of science before they can go beyond. How small can we go, and how big?

And while civil engineers and scientists may find it of no use, I think theoretical scientists (the ones who come up with our theories) will need to turn to meditation to go further into universal understanding than material examination will allow.

Oh, I got a lot more to say but I have to run. Check out that link.

psylichon

Message 178/188                 Date: 14-Nov-02  @  07:01 AM   -   RE: Faith

psylichon

Found this nice synopsis and thought others would enjoy...

From "The Hole in the Universe", by Karen Christine Cole:

While Zen teachings certainly do not share the well-tested validity of scientific knowledge, in recent years, there has been increasing conversation between Buddhist scholars and physicists - primarily on the places where the emptiness of mind and the emptiness of vacuum overlap. UC Santa Barbara Buddhist scholar Alan Wallace, who was trained in physics at Amherst College, works with the Dalai Lama and top physics researchers throughout the world to explore these rich and curious intersections. Many have to do with the obvious interest of both groups in properties of the quantum vacuum - the roiling physical nothing that gives rise to all things.

However, an even more interesting commonality concerns the nature of reality itself. In both physics and Buddhism, every coin has multiple, often mutually contradictory, sides. Particles and fields and forces are to some extent nothing but models made up in the mind's eye. And yet, you cannot walk through a wall made of particles and forces. Walls, like phantom limbs and zero and the funny energy that pushes the stars around, are both real and unreal - something and nothing.

Reality, as both Buddhism and quantum physics tell us over and again, requires two inextricably interwoven players: the observer and the observed. Physics tends to focus on what is observed. That requires various mental and mathematical models that help pin concepts in their place, make them amenable to precise manipulation. Only with the models in place is it possible to ask concrete questions.
Zen practice, however, tends to the observer. Every experiment, no matter how carefully prepared and monitored, begins and ends with the human mind. This is the ultimate instrument of science. There is no contradiction here. The fact that the vacuum is just a convention "by no means implies that its existence is arbitrary," Wallace argues "The laws of physics... are precisely determined by means of experiment and observation. They are not simply creations of arbitrary human whim. They have no independent existence, however."

While many would disagree with his conclusions, it is hard not to see some sense in the implications of these teachings.
In the end, one way to see clearly through both the noise from the real world and the perhaps even noisier rumblings of our own restless senses is to quiet - or at least better understand - the mind itself.

psylichon

Message 179/188                 Date: 14-Nov-02  @  08:23 AM   -   RE: Faith

psylichon

wow... i just read this entire thread again. your comments make much more sense the second time through  

psylichon

Message 180/188                 Date: 14-Nov-02  @  07:49 PM   -   RE: Faith

xoxos

i got haole rot.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

There are 188 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum