0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Passive control for DAW volume

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 22-Oct-04  @  07:05 PM   -   Passive control for DAW volume

Influx

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

http://www.smproaudio.com/mpatch.htm

only thing is its missing a fcking headphone output. SUCKS

I remember milan was griping about nobody making something like this. Now theres the Samson C-Control, Mackie Big Knob, and this one...plus some high end from Coleman and CraneSong I believe

I was so stoked on this M-Patch until I realized no fcking headphone out put. thats lame

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/20                 Date: 02-Dec-04  @  07:38 PM   -   RE: Passive control for DAW volume

milan

Link?: Link

K... just looked it up. i can add reviews. i'll sort it out over the weekend i think  

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/20                 Date: 02-Dec-04  @  07:42 PM   -   RE: Passive control for DAW volume

k

Link?:  Link

whenever man, no sweat

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 13/20                 Date: 03-Dec-04  @  03:41 PM   -   RE: Passive control for DAW volume

milan

ok... i'm kinda pissed now. left output is louder by 0.4dB, just measured it by recording out from the speaker-A out back into logic. you wouldnt think it would be noticable, but aparently it is... probably why i only heard it with volume almost all the way down.

mabye it wouldnt be a problem if speaker outs -B and -C werent on RCA connectors only... bah

Message 14/20                 Date: 05-Dec-04  @  11:43 PM   -   RE: Passive control for DAW volume

Influx

shit. thats not good!

altho...is that across the board or only at low volumes?

my ashly mixer I had...did the same thing...quieter on one side at low volumes

if only that damn passive one had a headphone out!

might have to try the big knob

Message 15/20                 Date: 08-Dec-04  @  02:18 PM   -   RE: Passive control for DAW volume

milan

influx: only at the very bottom of the scale, then it gets better (unnoticeable under my listening conditions), and dissapears when you turn it up further. this was all discovered after i recorded and measured the output from the speaker outs btw. apparently other people have noticed the same problem, but not on all units. so try before you buy i guess.

and while on topic of sound... the unit unfortunately does degrade your transients somewhat, so if you're monitoring on expensive speakers in a good listening enviroment you might wanna look into the BigKnob or something else instead.

then again, majority of ppl who use small nearfields do *not* hear those transients anyway, so its no loss in a typical home studio. all in all it still sounds nice and clear.

on the upside, i noticed another nifty feature btw: when you select an input for monitoring, it automaticaly cuts the feed to the corresponding output (2tk i/o A,B,C), so there's no chance of a feedback loop  

Message 16/20                 Date: 08-Dec-04  @  02:21 PM   -   RE: Passive control for DAW volume

milan

its almost funny btw... with my new setup (FA101/C-Control) i got a better overall sound picture, but the transent response is totaly degraded compared to the Gina/Promix setup  

Message 17/20                 Date: 08-Dec-04  @  09:00 PM   -   RE: Passive control for DAW volume

Influx

milan

can you explain what you mean by transient response? Are you saying it would make a kick sound mushier than it was?

Im not working in a perfect room so I dunno if that would be as important.

and the monitoring, well...I could probably get used to that.

Message 18/20                 Date: 08-Dec-04  @  10:16 PM   -   RE: Passive control for DAW volume

psylichon

milan, are you sure it's your outputs that are imbalanced and not the inputs to your soundcard?

Message 19/20                 Date: 09-Dec-04  @  06:08 PM   -   RE: Passive control for DAW volume

Influx

good question, altho..he's probably done that test before?

when I had a Delta66 I used to get one side hotter than the other. drove me NUTS!

never did figure out why.

Message 20/20                 Date: 09-Dec-04  @  10:14 PM   -   RE: Passive control for DAW volume

milan

yeah i'm sure psy... altho not so sure you interpreted my post correctly or if its something else...

anyway, i took the unit back today and got a new one which works perfectly. i did a series of tests today, geek style  , and i dont think it degrades the signal much compared to the output of the soundcard.

i'll explain it all tomorrow, and then hopefuly string it all into a proper review for kilo  

Pages: 1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum