0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Which mixing desk to buy?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 17-Aug-04  @  12:32 AM   -   Which mixing desk to buy?

Lloyd Duddley

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm looking into buying a mixing desk for a small home setup. Although it's only really for bedroom use at the moment, it may be used for more in the future (maybe some live work or some better quality recording). I still need quite a few inputs (drummer) and don't really want a crappy one that I'll have to change in the future. Obviously it needs to have XLR inputs and 48v, which I'm assuming most do. I would also like some kind of EQ or effects built in. My budget is around £250 and I really like the look of the Behringer Eurorack UB2442FX-Pro. Has anybody used one of these before, and if so then could you please give me some good and bad points about it. Is it worth the money and will it be suitable for me? Another thing that I've noticed with some small mixers is that they can generate some hiss, is this desk likely to do this? Does it have decent pre-amps? Thanks a lot

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/26                 Date: 18-Aug-04  @  07:35 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

k

Link?:  Link

um.... not quite how i'd have phrased it, but.... tum tee tum....

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/26                 Date: 19-Aug-04  @  08:24 AM     Edit: 19-Aug-04  |  08:33 AM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

psylichon

Link?: Link

I think a Behringer killed his mother or something.

Seriously though, Behringers are fine for studio monitoring purposes. They are most definitely not road worthy. But dear lord, please:

1. only monitor with them
2. do NOTrecord any signal that has passed through one.
3. if you ever touch any of the microphone gains at any point in its career, you didn't read #2 and you're an idiot.

Also, don't turn the knobs too much. They're not really designed for that.

You see their version of the mackie 8-bus? For under $1500?? Rooooight....

Message 13/26                 Date: 19-Aug-04  @  11:54 AM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

k

surely they arent that bad.... those 6:2 little table-top mixer are great. Are the larger ones crap then?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 14/26                 Date: 19-Aug-04  @  07:09 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

psylichon

they're just noisy as fook. Fine for monitoring if ya got computer fans and other low level noise in your studio, imo

Message 15/26                 Date: 20-Aug-04  @  03:31 AM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Lloyd Duddley

Ok guys, after reading this maybe a Mackie is the way forward. Has anyone ever used the 1642-VLZ Pro? Or any of the effects mixers? My friend keeps telling me not to worry about effects but I like the idea for live work? Should I really be bothered, I mean are the effects worth using? Sorry I am really new to all this

Message 16/26                 Date: 20-Aug-04  @  12:12 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Stuff

I heard the inbuilt fx wasn't that good on the cheaper Mackies so i bought a 1642 and it's just fine. Except from the stereo channels it's pretty much like the well-known 1604.

Message 17/26                 Date: 20-Aug-04  @  06:36 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Lloyd Duddley

How much did u pay for your 1642 if you don't mind me asking? Have you ever posted any reviews on it?

Message 18/26                 Date: 20-Aug-04  @  11:21 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Pongoid

At this point in time, I'd even put Mackie to the side unless you're planning on buying an older used one for cheap. The new ones are being made with Chinese outsourced parts and are having serious quality control issues. That said, I'd look into an Allen&Heath if you're going to go new, like a MixWizard or something. They're a little bit fragile, but not terribly so and they sound better than Mackie Mixers IMO.

Ape

Message 19/26                 Date: 21-Aug-04  @  12:41 AM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Influx

Ive been lusting after a soundcraft 200b lately. not the most portable of mixers, but it came highly rec'd sound-wise

I have yet to hear one, but there's a reason why brit consoles have a rep for being "soundy" and this is one of those.

Id love to run DAW tracks through something like that, see what happens

Message 20/26                 Date: 22-Aug-04  @  12:10 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

k

he - my mate just got one actualy - I used to use one in the programming suite when i had my first deal - great robust mixers, probably slightly hissy (and i mean slight) compared to a brand-new recent model, but really we're talking 'hiss' that you cant hear once a signal is present, very minimal. Usual Soundcraft stuff, tight pots, positive feel, everything feels solid.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum